ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

#TheBlackTurd - Clio 1.2 Dynamique (My First Car!)

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
DISCLAIMER: IF YOU DON'T LIKE READING THIS ISN'T THE THREAD FOR YOU:grimacing:
So I'm doing this more for myself to have an online "archive" somewhere on the web of my car to look back on in the future rather than to just show you lot on here, but sharing it with you is an added perk I suppose. (already have a "new member" post here ->http://www.cliosport.net/threads/new-member-hello-not-an-rs-but-oh-well.794584/)

The car is an 02 Reg Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique which I bought in April 2016 for £550 with 87,912 miles on the clock.
When I went to see it initially the chap was asking for £675 (which I thought was far too high) but was surprised to find out that it had central locking as well as electric windows and mirrors and a Sony head unit already on it. I just never expected that (its the small things :smile:)

Currently on my provisional license still and am using this car for at least 10 months to:
1) Build up 1 years NCB on learner insurance.
2) Not have to pay £20/hour for a driving instructor.
3) Gain some driving experience (very important IMO) before being allowed out by myself.
4) Learn the basics of car maintenance and modifications (although nothing major is planned as of yet).

When I first jumped behind the wheel of MY car (Brain at the time: "OMGOMGOMGIHAVEMYOWNCARNOWERECTIONNNNN"😂) I only had about 3 hours experience driving a 2011 1.4 Diesel Fiesta and as such, I stalled EVERY TIME I attempted to set off. Not fun.
This is when I found out that my driving instructor had TAUGHT ME WRONG. You have to use the accelerator and the clutch AT THE SAME TIME (I know; SHOCK HORROR!:rage:) Anyways it took me about 2 hours of driving to nail that and now I drive the car whenever my dad and I have some free time and its a bit of fun!:smile: The car is currently nicknamed The Black Turd, inspired by Marty's Blue Turd from MCM. (I often post on IG @b4xrd or #TheBlackTurd)

Recently I discovered some white gunky s**t under the oil cap and white smoke from the exhaust which everyone knows is a head gasket leak. However, this didn't bother me so much. The coolant was a bit low so I topped that up and the car is fine, it smells like petrol a little bit on startup but again this does not bother me. The car will be with me until it dies as I have decided. Maybe after it does I'll put the 2.0 engine from a 1*2 in it and make it a track car but its early days so we will have to wait and see. As for mods so far it has none. I have no major plans for it as I would rather save for mods on my next car or a better car. So before you all run out of breath reading all this (if you even read it) here are some pictures.

Some "Normal" Pictures:
rTTSGiV.jpg

G7A0cqK.jpg

vAsq5Ev.jpg

I2LevTG.jpg

Some "Cinematic" Shots:
yEXBHsn.jpg

(Parked next to my dad's gorgeous V60)

VLf9Rq1.jpg

haTNq8a.jpg

Thanks for looking! Again, if you did, remember; THIS IS MAINLY FOR ME TO LOOK BACK ON :smile:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I doubt your HG is actually gone. As they're plastic covers on the engines you get this build up of mayo under your oil cap if only using the car for short journeys. I'm sure it'll be fine, but you may have a coolant leak somewhere else (typically off the thermostat housing I believe)

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
I doubt your HG is actually gone. As they're plastic covers on the engines you get this build up of mayo under your oil cap if only using the car for short journeys. I'm sure it'll be fine, but you may have a coolant leak somewhere else (typically off the thermostat housing I believe)
The car is generally only used for short journeys so if what you say is true (or at least true in this case) the car will last me longer. But what exactly is it that causes the plastic engine cover to cause a build up of this under the oil cap? Also, the coolant has been stable after being topped up and was just low when I bought the car. I'll still have a poke around and check for any leaks.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The car is generally only used for short journeys so if what you say is true (or at least true in this case) the car will last me longer. But what exactly is it that causes the plastic engine cover to cause a build up of this under the oil cap? Also, the coolant has been stable after being topped up and was just low when I bought the car. I'll still have a poke around and check for any leaks.
It's just the condensation forming underneath. I can guarantee if you do a long trip and look under your cap there will be no oil. You'd also have mayo in your coolant if your hg was fucked.

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Nice first car mate, and decent little write up! Glad you can drive without stalling now :wink:
Thanks mate!:up:
Not stalling was the most joyous moment of my life since I learnt to stand on my own 2 feet 😂

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
It's just the condensation forming underneath. I can guarantee if you do a long trip and look under your cap there will be no oil. You'd also have mayo in your coolant if your hg was fucked.
Cool, cheers for the info. Coolant colour looks fine so that re-assures me slightly haha :smile:

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Got myself some Minions to keep me safe:up:😂
aobCfCI.jpg

XMcffDp.jpg

Also got myself a 16gb USB for my stereo so I don't have my phone plugged into it all the time.
CXh1nPX.jpg

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Short antenna on today for just £3. Cheap cheerful mod haha (and the car is absolutely filthy it definitely needs a wash)
mwSeWlW.jpg

2007 Clio 197
Hi buddy, hope your enjoying your car. Almost identical to how my 1.2 started off.

Funnily enough, I was taught the same thing! It's due to being instructed in a diesel where you can hold the car with the bite point and drive it reasonably safely on the biting point of the clutch.

From my experience, the 1.2 16v can be a great run around and a good fun drive with a couple basic mods (However, I would wait until you pass your test before considering doing too much)

As for my own clio. I done the following.

K&N Panel filter (Induction kits are a waste of money IMO and attract unwanted attention at a younger age)
Lower 25/30mm on Eibach springs
Uprated Shocks (Had shorter pistons for a stiffer ride)
Bit of vynl wrap on the interior trim to change it up a bit.
The seats in the dynamic are more or less the same as the RS ones. So i'd leave them as be.

If you wanted a little more noise out of the car, then a nice exhaust would be as far as I would go.

Keep it simple for your first car and then in a year or so get yourself something else. I personally just picked up a 197 to get back into a clio and love it every bit as much as I loved my first one.

As for doing an engine swap, Id avoid it.

You can pick up a reasonable 1*2 for less than an engine swap will cost you.

Then you have insurance and such to deal with!

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Hi buddy, hope your enjoying your car. Almost identical to how my 1.2 started off.

Funnily enough, I was taught the same thing! It's due to being instructed in a diesel where you can hold the car with the bite point and drive it reasonably safely on the biting point of the clutch.

From my experience, the 1.2 16v can be a great run around and a good fun drive with a couple basic mods (However, I would wait until you pass your test before considering doing too much)

As for my own clio. I done the following.

K&N Panel filter (Induction kits are a waste of money IMO and attract unwanted attention at a younger age)
Lower 25/30mm on Eibach springs
Uprated Shocks (Had shorter pistons for a stiffer ride)
Bit of vynl wrap on the interior trim to change it up a bit.
The seats in the dynamic are more or less the same as the RS ones. So i'd leave them as be.

If you wanted a little more noise out of the car, then a nice exhaust would be as far as I would go.

Keep it simple for your first car and then in a year or so get yourself something else. I personally just picked up a 197 to get back into a clio and love it every bit as much as I loved my first one.

As for doing an engine swap, Id avoid it.

You can pick up a reasonable 1*2 for less than an engine swap will cost you.

Then you have insurance and such to deal with!

I was literally just reading your post about your new RS. Looks the tits mate haha.
I appreciate the advice as well mate, it'll be really helpful. I'm thinking of driving this (as long as it survives) for either 1 or 2 years after I pass my test in order to build up some more NCB. After that I definitely plan on buying a 1*2 however I will put a bit of money into this thing mostly with what you have suggested above. Most mods will be done after I pass and for now I'm focusing on cleaning it up and making it look smarter. Also to address the way in which I was taught to drive, I am glad I got myself my own car as a few mates of mine are learning with the same instructor and they have their tests coming up soon and I'm going to let them learn the hard way, as I did. I'm a prick:tearsofjoy:

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Photoshopped my rims to an anthracite ish colour and lowered it. I want it to look like this now!
NvBBGV2.jpg

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
If I was you I would look at the future before splurging cash on a 1.2 etc. I did the exact) exact same when I was your age and wasted so much money. Even aerials and the like it all adds up and in the end that money could have gone on a 182 or whatever.
Yeah I totally know what you mean bud. Im gonna do some small bits to it but nothing mental. Its a long time until I can afford to insure a 172/182.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
If I was you I would look at the future before splurging cash on a 1.2 etc. I did the exact) exact same when I was your age and wasted so much money. Even aerials and the like it all adds up and in the end that money could have gone on a 182 or whatever.
If you're sensible about it, it's not too bad. It's like owning a 182 and people saying to you don't do any mods to it as it won't add value and you should save for an a class merc or something. If you get my drift...

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
(Very badly) Sprayed front and back diamonds in black. This was more of a learning exercise for me so I'm glad I done it.
It looks better from a distance ;)
7VTCiyT.jpg

AVkMFIT.jpg

rnKdWhb.jpg

V3JxGST.jpg

2007 Clio 197
(Very badly) Sprayed front and back diamonds in black. This was more of a learning exercise for me so I'm glad I done it.
It looks better from a distance :wink:
7VTCiyT.jpg

AVkMFIT.jpg

rnKdWhb.jpg

V3JxGST.jpg
Some people like orange peel effect.

;)

Looks good. Get the grey trim off the car. Bit of plastic primer and some satin black will just make it better.

In the words of mighty car mods....
BLAAACK!

B93

Clio 1.2 16v
Definitely going to be following this, I got a 2002 Capsicum red 1.2 a year and a month for my first car (and to learn in, but I also spent £24/hour on top for an instructor, worth it just to avoid 'clashing' with my parents behind the wheel for me!) Not done any mods to it so far (I 'd feel guilty since its only a 10k mile car), beyond general maintenance bits, so it will be nice to see what others have done. Also, now I've seen what you've done with the shorty antenna, I think I might be hitting up ebay now

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Definitely going to be following this, I got a 2002 Capsicum red 1.2 a year and a month for my first car (and to learn in, but I also spent £24/hour on top for an instructor, worth it just to avoid 'clashing' with my parents behind the wheel for me!) Not done any mods to it so far (I 'd feel guilty since its only a 10k mile car), beyond general maintenance bits, so it will be nice to see what others have done. Also, now I've seen what you've done with the shorty antenna, I think I might be hitting up ebay now
10k miles on a 2002? Wow. You've done well there.
Anyways, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162041731...49&var=461009917671&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
That's the antenna I bought, its decent (especially for 3 quid) but it has a strange fake carbon piece in the middle. You could probably find something a bit better or OEM looking but I'm cheap lol :D It works fine though

B93

Clio 1.2 16v
10k miles on a 2002? Wow. You've done well there.
Anyways, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162041731242?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=461009917671&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
That's the antenna I bought, its decent (especially for 3 quid) but it has a strange fake carbon piece in the middle. You could probably find something a bit better or OEM looking but I'm cheap lol :smiley: It works fine though
The best part of it was the old lady who I got it off only wanted £1500 for it despite only having 10k miles and garaged nightly! Its occurred to me that I actually have an old Cooper S shorty hiding in my garage somewhere, I think I'm going to see if that fits

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
The best part of it was the old lady who I got it off only wanted £1500 for it despite only having 10k miles and garaged nightly! Its occurred to me that I actually have an old Cooper S shorty hiding in my garage somewhere, I think I'm going to see if that fits
In that case you have done VERY well. Look after it, and yeah go look for it see if it will fit. It probably does as most of these antennas are just screw on and go on anything!:up:

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Aero wipers cus they're just better, and the old one scratched my windscreen.
ldCRkNy.jpg

Obligatory ClioSport sticker :cool:
PJCqkO3.jpg

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Thanks man, might have to get one of them for mine! Looks hell of a lot better than the 100ft standard one
Ebay listing says its not compatible with Clios but it is. and yeah "100ft" standard one looks horrible tbh 😂

Ebay listing says its not compatible with Clios but it is. and yeah "100ft" standard one looks horrible tbh 😂
That's "eBay motoring" for you
I try to steer clear from it unless buying branded things. Bought some flat blades from eBay which where menna fit my car and they do, but they're f**king dire
Also bought sub wiring kit and it didn't have half the connectors I needed in the kit lol!

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
That's "eBay motoring" for you
I try to steer clear from it unless buying branded things. Bought some flat blades from eBay which where menna fit my car and they do, but they're f**king dire
Also bought sub wiring kit and it didn't have half the connectors I needed in the kit lol!
Typical! Its good for some bits and bobs but generally I wouldn't buy much else from there haha

RenaultVirgin

Leeds & Surrounding
ClioSport Area Rep
  Integra Type R DC5
Been a while since I updated this thread because nothing much has happened. Car went for MOT today - here's what it failed on (it is a Turd after all)
  • Headlights too cloudy to produce a clear beam (not sure if he's having me on here or not).
  • Washers for windscreen are blocked (probs just need a clean haven't used in ages - don't even know if theres washer fluid in there :laughing:).
  • Windscreen wipers not clearing windscreen well enough.
  • Rear seat belt won't go into buckle (I suspect some glass has got in from when someone broke in)
  • One of the seat belts (cant remember which) doesn't come in and out properly.
  • Ball joints are worn (something like that) - not sure if he's on about lower ball joint or whole thing that connects to the hub.
  • Airbag light is on - it comes on and off at different points when driving so i reckon its dodgey wiring (it is French after all) - he said he's gonna look into it for me.
Shithouse anyways, asking for £275 to sort it all - too much if you ask me. Main things are the ball joints - other bits I can (probably) sort myself.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
£275?! Jesus Christ, has he been sniffing glue?

Ball joints you could do yourself as well, literally 3 bolts to un do, old one off, new one on, jobs a good un.