ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The V8 Focus

so I thought I’d start a thread to document my progress with my new project.

The Megane is on a side burner until I can find a head for it and I need something to waste my money on. And so this Frankenstein idea popped into my head after a few conversations with a mate.

First I set out to look for a good V8, didn’t want anything pushrod and old and I wanted something of modern tech that could push a bit of power - ideally wanted a manual but rocking horses don’t s**t apparently.
So I settled for this after a Saturday night on eBay...
E7110F31-357E-40BD-AB5E-117230E8CBF2.jpeg

Just a handful over £400 - drove it 200 miles home with a thundering knock from somewhere but I made it.

Then I found this on scumtree...
652E211E-0AE7-4B85-A11C-07C39AA340CD.jpeg

£700 and I got it home with no issues. Really nice car to drive if a little rough around the edges - but £700...

Then another billy bargain on eBay

RWD subframe for £25... yes 25.

So today I’ve been trying to fit it.

Old out and new in...
There it is being held in on some custom mounts and supported at the front (awaiting front mounts)
2FDAA462-7531-4891-B6CE-A0874CFF1BBD.jpeg

EEA639C1-3A0B-4939-AB94-DE0B979C46CF.jpeg

More updates soon I suppose .

Need some help on fuel tanks atm if anyone has any interesting info that will help me out.

Attachments

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes! Always liked the V8 focus. This shape focus was designed to accommodate a 4WD system but they didn't do it for the RS. Have you used a Kuga rear axle?

What on earth made you choose a focus to wedge it into? Just the price?
Cheap parts, cheap to buy, like the shape, and it’s just modern enough to be nice inside but not too modern that it’s full of electronics that can go wrong and that’s difficult to integrate with a different engine and ecu.

1) what's the RWD subframe from?
350z

2) don't drop this one on your leg.
Up yours x

3) will you finish this one? x

f**k you x
How much power does that v8 make?
They range from 250-300, this is the earlier engine so it’s 250 but not really early to have the stronger rods. I’m likely going to turbo it as they take really well to low boost without any engine work. That should keep me entertained for a while. Manual conversion will eventually come too

Yes! Always liked the V8 focus. This shape focus was designed to accommodate a 4WD system but they didn't do it for the RS. Have you used a Kuga rear axle?
No a 350z axle. None of the ford stuff is strong enough to handle a v8s torque without swapping diffs.

The 350z was a bargain at £25 and it comes with a viscous lsd as standard and can handle some power. + it’s aluminium and is actually lighter than the focus one I pulled out of the car.

OssPoop

ClioSport Club Member
I recall Ford USA built a rwd focus RS with the 5.0 mustang v8 in. I'm sure all the parts were available in the focus tuning catalog too, if you were over there anyway.
The driftworks corolla that was at trax uses a lexus v8 turbo'd and makes 525 bhp! Interesting project this.

Yeah didn’t want the “live” axle mustang stuff anyway.
My mates f**king about with mustangs so had to keep it different. And I’d rather something that lends itself to better handling than just point & squirt.

I’d be happy with 500bhp from the V8 lol

I think the eventual idea is to get this looking like an RS.
Lesson learned from the meg though...get it working first

front mounts are done. all tacked in and car resting on 4 (i lie its 3 because i cant actually fit the lexus wheels on the hubs properly)
IMG_0536.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

Camber YO!
IMG_0538.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

If you see the jack in any pictures its purely there for support purposes so isnt needed.

wont be much more updates over the next few weeks i imagine as it will just be prepping the car and welding the mounts in permanently.
Unless of course you all want some really detailed updates?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great thread!

I'll read with interest, need more stuff along these lines on here! Keep the updates coming, detail heavy!

Nice. Where is the reversing light then?
Wherever there’s a legal requirement for a reversing light :wink:

Please remember that this is how I bought it minus the hole in the boot and an un-Chaved reverse light is easily obtainable. In fact there’s one in the boot already :wink:

Think I’ve got a bigger problem to deal with reference the hole on the floor

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
Wherever there’s a legal requirement for a reversing light :wink:

Please remember that this is how I bought it minus the hole in the boot and an un-Chaved reverse light is easily obtainable. In fact there’s one in the boot already :wink:

Think I’ve got a bigger problem to deal with reference the hole on the floor
😂 Minor details O/S :up:

alistairolsen

ClioSport Club Member
Before you go much further, have you installed the subframe at the correct height in the new shell so that the suspension arms sit as they did in the LS400 (to avoid the usual effects you get with lowering cars like excess camber)? Much better to install the subframe 40mm higher than to fit 40mm lowering springs and suffer the geometry issues the result.

Have you checked the angle of the diff pinion flange with respect to the eventual engine/gearbox angle? You dont want to have angular misalignment between these, or you'll have issues with your propshaft.

Have you fitted the final wheel and tyre sizes, and tried them for clearance with just the dampers, no springs and any bush bolts slackened so that you can move them up and down in the wheel well by hand? If you find you're short of space it will be much easier to narrow the subframe than have to replace all the arms, or hack out the bodywork for arches, but it will move all the mounts you're about to finalise.

Before you go much further, have you installed the subframe at the correct height in the new shell so that the suspension arms sit as they did in the LS400 (to avoid the usual effects you get with lowering cars like excess camber)? Much better to install the subframe 40mm higher than to fit 40mm lowering springs and suffer the geometry issues the result.

Have you checked the angle of the diff pinion flange with respect to the eventual engine/gearbox angle? You dont want to have angular misalignment between these, or you'll have issues with your propshaft.

Have you fitted the final wheel and tyre sizes, and tried them for clearance with just the dampers, no springs and any bush bolts slackened so that you can move them up and down in the wheel well by hand? If you find you're short of space it will be much easier to narrow the subframe than have to replace all the arms, or hack out the bodywork for arches, but it will move all the mounts you're about to finalise.
The subframe is bolted onto some mounts that have been tacked in place so nothing is currently permanent(part from the hole in the floor ha!). I’m waiting for some 350z suspension to arrive to restructure the inner arches and I’m currently looking for the right wheels that I want to use (I have a mustang one on the left which seems to be the right size but has the wrong tyres on it) so I can check it all works out. Currently I think it’s a little low due to the camber on the wheels but the subframe does have a fair amount of adjustment in this area which I will have a better idea of when the suspension arrives.

Next job is take the engine out (it’s half way done now tbh) and then pull the Lexus engine and box to see what sort of work is required at the front and then I can look at propshaft lengths and angles. I also can’t check this until the diff actually arrives which is when the suspension gets here too.

Bodywork I’m not too worried about, it has rusty arches which need attention and I have my eye on some RS rear wings anyway which gives me the extra width I need.
For reference the 350z has a wheelbase 40mm wider than the focus, so providing 20mm spacers on a focus works so will this axle. My main problem at the moment is wheels stud and PCD

alistairolsen

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good! I'd certainly be leaving it tacked until it's all in and checked. I've ground out my fair share of bad ideas!
It'll be interesting to see where the sum/steering rack interface puts the engine and how much of the bulkhead/tunnel needs to come out.

Sounds good! I'd certainly be leaving it tacked until it's all in and checked. I've ground out my fair share of bad ideas!
It'll be interesting to see where the sum/steering rack interface puts the engine and how much of the bulkhead/tunnel needs to come out.
That’s another issue lol. Along with fuel tank and the wheel studs and the rusty bits and the tunnel lol

Engine is out...
IMG_0545.JPG

also some pictures with the mustang wheel, 18", 32mm offset and 245/45 tyres.
ill probably go for some 225 or 215 tyres with a 40 or 45 height because theyre a bit silly on the mustang.
IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

all needs to be checked when the suspension gets here Wednesday though

diff should also be here by Wednesday too so can start to have a better idea about where everything is going to sit
i will endeavour to try and get some more detail when i have more detailed stuff to show. I may even start videoing it as i can show more then