ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

I'd agree. 3GB is what I'd deem entry-level these days. Even three years ago, I was using a 2GB graphics card and it was taking a performance battering at times - in almost standard HD resolution - 1920x1200.

Also as @SharkyUK says - installed game sizes are going up significantly - some breaking the 100GB barrier now. My main two drives are 500GB SSDs and I do find that I have to chop & change installs on them, due to capacity issues. That said, I'd have a 500GB SSD over a 1TB SATA drive any day of the week.

^^^ - this.

On a serious note - keep him in check with it or else school work might suffer.

In 1992 I managed to convince my parents that I needed a PC for my A-level Computing course. "It will help me do more coursework at home/I can do more coding away from the noisy classroom/I can work on it at the weekend..." All bullshit of course - I was a military plane g33k back then and I just wanted Aces of The Pacific pretty desperately.

In November of that year, I managed to get a PC ordered with a pickup for collection a week later. Pretty much minutes later, I was ordering AoTP from a mail order place and it arrived before my PC did.

I did do college work on my PC. I did do some extra bits that perhaps I wouldn't have done in class. But all of that was overshadowed by what this new gadget brought to me. If the time I used the PC for college work exceeded 10%, I'd be surprised. I can honestly say that that gaming PC was a detriment to my A-level results.

A few of my friends still game on 2GB cards and haven't found it limits them as they don't need more than 60fps at 1080p in medium settings. Granted, a few games it'll struggle with but if you're not enabling all the graphics settings they work fine. Here is just one of a few videos online proving this:

If you're just using the PC for gaming then a small SSD for the O/S and one or two larger HDD's for data or gaming is fine. Most games load quickly on an HDD anyway.

Of course, if you can afford a large SSD or a better graphics card, buy all means buy one, but you'd be surprised what you can game on.

Putting a laptop together that we plan on using for gaming/word processing/Netflix. I'm going to chuck in a RTX2080 but I'm stumped on the CPU. Is it really worth chucking in an 8 core I9-9900K over something like a Quad core I3-8350K.

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Putting a laptop together that we plan on using for gaming/word processing/Netflix. I'm going to chuck in a RTX2080 but I'm stumped on the CPU. Is it really worth chucking in an 8 core I9-9900K over something like a Quad core I3-8350K.

I don't think the RTX 20x0 with the i3-8350K is a particularly good combo. That particular CPU may end up being a bit of a bottleneck. If you are looking at a top-end GPU then you really need a top-end CPU these days otherwise you are paying for GPU performance that you might not be able to reach / use.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Happy Easter to me ?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Just received an email with a free code for The Division 2 to go with the above drive, I know what I’m doing tonight!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just received an email with a free code for The Division 2 to go with the above drive, I know what I’m doing tonight!

Will be interesting what you think of it. I'm coming up upon Level 25 on my character and am kind of looking forward to either hitting 30, or finishing the campaign.

Its far from crap - especially as it sounds and looks so good. It just niggles at me that its tantalizingly close to being epic - yet trips up over its own failings and short-sightedness. The last one I've come across was wandering into a area with enemies just two levels above me - yet they might as well have been twenty levels above, given how inefficient my kit was against them. The only way I managed to take the area over was with the random help of an opposing AI faction arriving out of left-field and inadvertently causing a diversion.

Your entire time is spent sandwiched between a very narrow band of enemies slightly below you - compared to the threat above. I've not struggled with any of the bounties or 'boss' fights so far either - though I am playing it on Normal.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
I'm level 20 something. It gets quite monotonous much like the original did, but I'm still enjoying it. Especially the Dark Zone. These two french bell-ends blind sided me and took my gear. I caught up with them before they could extract and killed them both with an LMG, then took their loot. Much satisfactory experiences had.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
A Plagues Tale. Uses UE4 mega scan technology, amazingly detailed geometry. This is downscaled from Ansel super resolution so cheating a bit, mind you. In this particular shot, see how the light bounces off the boys hair, too.

unknown.png

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
EPIC store has a pretty good sale on at the mo. Bought myself World War Z as its meant to be awesome.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
For anyone thats interested, GRID 2 is currently free on Steam until later on this evening.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looking for some help. Just went to turn on my pc and got nothing. It powers up but won't POST. No beeps or anything. The mobo has some POST state LEDs and the RAM and CPU lights are flashing intermittently.

So far I've cleared the CMOS and tried removing and using each RAM stick one at a time, and also removing the GPU and nothing changes. It has an "Q-code" display on the mobo (Asus Z87) and it flashes through a bunch of stuff but I think it's all just general boot sequence stuff. I'd need video it and slow it down to see everything as it flashes through.

Any ideas? I'm thinking the mobo or CPU is toast but I don't know how. I've literally done nothing to it apart from turn it on for the first time in about 2 months!

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Does it stick on a particular Q Code?

Any chance there's an LED called 'CAT ERR' lit up?
Nah it's cycling through a good few. What's worrying me now is one of the codes is 58 - "CPU self test failed or possible CPU cache error".

Theres no LEDs staying lit up. CPU test led comes on and goes off. Then the RAM led, rinse, repeat.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Nah it's cycling through a good few. What's worrying me now is one of the codes is 58 - "CPU self test failed or possible CPU cache error".

Theres no LEDs staying lit up. CPU test led comes on and goes off. Then the RAM led, rinse, repeat.

Yeah, without anything to give you more clues it sounds like Mobo or CPU, TLDR, which chip are you on?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah, without anything to give you more clues it sounds like Mobo or CPU, TLDR, which chip are you on?
It's an i7-4770k. Getting on a bit now in fairness but I can't work out why it would just die while not getting used. Pc has been sat with power going to it, but not been on in ages. I'm going to get another PSU and rule out any power issues. Failing that probably try and pick up any cheap CPU that'll fit the 1150 socket and try that to rule that out.

Good excuse for an upgrade if it's all dead I guess :rolleyes:

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
It's an i7-4770k. Getting on a bit now in fairness but I can't work out why it would just die while not getting used. Pc has been sat with power going to it, but not been on in ages. I'm going to get another PSU and rule out any power issues. Failing that probably try and pick up any cheap CPU that'll fit the 1150 socket and try that to rule that out.

Good excuse for an upgrade if it's all dead I guess :rolleyes:

Had any power cuts in that time? Has it been sat behind a surge protector?

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Had any power cuts in that time? Has it been sat behind a surge protector?
Balls... I have. I didn't even consider that but yep I came home from work a while back and there had definitely been some sort of power cut.

It was plugged in through a surge protector but the surge light is off and I can't be certain it wasn't already off before then.

Am I looking at a fucked PSU or is it more likely it's damaged the mobo/CPU?

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
How good is the psu? If it’s at the value end of the spectrum it may well have fried the board.

I had it a few weeks back with a customer who wasn’t ups’d or surge protected, a rapid on/off of power a few times within 1 second took the board clean out.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Dont mean to rain on your parade, but I hope you got a good deal as Nvidia are releasing the super RTX cards next week I believe and the 2080 ti is going to be a whole new chip at the same price as a normal 2080 ti and the "standard" one is getting a price reduction...

There is no information/leaks regarding a 2080Ti Super. Only up to a 2080 Super. The only thing this'll have over the 2080Ti is 16Gbps memory speed compared to 14Gbps. This is based on current specs leaks.

Also, I'm not one of those folk that constantly think, oh should I wait or buy now, oh should I wait or buy now person. I've made my choice and I'm chuffed to bits with it. I've been using my 2080Ti for a month now and love it. There is no parade to be rained on. If i wanted the best of the best I'd have bought (after selling an arm and a leg) the RTX Titan.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
There is no information/leaks regarding a 2080Ti Super. Only up to a 2080 Super. The only thing this'll have over the 2080Ti is 16Gbps memory speed compared to 14Gbps. This is based on current specs leaks.

Also, I'm not one of those folk that constantly think, oh should I wait or buy now, oh should I wait or buy now person. I've made my choice and I'm chuffed to bits with it. I've been using my 2080Ti for a month now and love it. There is no parade to be rained on. If i wanted the best of the best I'd have bought (after selling an arm and a leg) the RTX Titan.

There is alot of information regarding the super cards. Including the 2080ti super which will feature a new chip rather then just a memory change.

Wasnt trying to offend you or anything just didnt know if you were aware of it. Glad your enjoying it.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Information for anyone else interested in the Super cards.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Turns out there is no Ti super after all:

The RTX 2080 Ti will remain at the top of Nvidia's product stack, lacking any form of "Super" replacement. This makes sense given Nvidia's lack of competition in the high-end of the graphics market.

Clio200 EDC Lux
Hi all

My current PC I built back in 2008! still going strong but needs an update (8880 GTX gfx and Intel Quadcore Q6600)

I have a max of £1k to spend I have put a basket together just after advice on possible better components for the money etc.

Thanks
PC.png