ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
@charltjr - has she cut your balls off yet? :)

I have got away with it so far :D

Got to say, this is one hideous looking machine. The case is absurd - a proper old school full tower job that barely fits under my desk with an ITX motherboard hiding away in it. I've had very little time to play with it, it came with a completely vanilla Win10 install on it so I've had to go through the whole update cycle to the current Win 10 release, put all the right drivers on, flash the BIOS to the latest version, all that really fun stuff we love.......

Who cares though, 1440p on the Very High preset and it cruises through the Deus Ex : Mankind Divided benchmark at 62fps with a high of 73 and a low of 54. Just Cause 3 is buttery smooth, not even the slightest hint of slowdown anywhere. Looking forward to seeing what it can do in GTA V tonight.

Had a very quick play with some mild overclocks, nothing too impressive so far and haven't benchmarked the changes, have eeked the base clock on the CPU up to 4.4Ghz and the turbo clock up to 5Ghz. I can get an extra 175Mhz out of the GPU clock and 250Mhz out of the memory clock on the graphics card. TBH I don't feel the need for any more performance so I'll probably leave it stock for now but nice to know there's at least a little bit of headroom there, as I say I've not really been getting properly into anything.

Also need to clear down my old PC and get that up for sale. Anyone want a still-half-decent gaming rig? :D

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah fair comment, will certainly see a better return that way, used PCs have to be so cheap it's untrue to shift.

Only thing I'm dithering on is there's a 750Gb 2.5" SSD in there at the moment and I'm definitely noticing the difference in load times compared to the 250Gb M2 SSD plus 4Tb spinning disk in the new machine. I may well keep the SSD. Hmmmmm. Decisions, decisions.

F82 M4
So, bit of an awesome upgrade folks.

Bought an Alienware AW3418DW, 34" Ultra Wide Curved 1440p 120hz Monitor. Currently it's on sale with Scan for £1100 - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/341...itor-3440x1440-120hz-219-4ms-300cd-m-dp12-hdm

However, Dell are selling it direct at the moment for only £799. Also, Student discount of 10% works as well, so I got it for £720 :) Deal ends 17th July if anyone's interested and for the student discount you just need a student email address

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/del...8dw/apd/210-ammw/monitors-monitor-accessories

IMG_20180713_172618.jpg

IMG_20180713_172604.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So, bit of an awesome upgrade folks.

Bought an Alienware AW3418DW, 34" Ultra Wide Curved 1440p 120hz Monitor. Currently it's on sale with Scan for £1100 - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/341...itor-3440x1440-120hz-219-4ms-300cd-m-dp12-hdm

However, Dell are selling it direct at the moment for only £799. Also, Student discount of 10% works as well, so I got it for £720 :) Deal ends 17th July if anyone's interested and for the student discount you just need a student email address

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/del...8dw/apd/210-ammw/monitors-monitor-accessories

View attachment 1374956

View attachment 1374957

Ultra wide FTW!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Really nice monitors those 278Qs, sadly the overdraft does not permit :(

On call and a bit ill this weekend so have had some time to tinker with the new toy and work out what to do.

The storage drive is a WD Blue 5400 rpm job..... meh. Nothing wrong with that as a media storage drive. but it’s not going to do my load times any favours so the 750Gb SSD from the previous machine is going in too and that will be my games disk.

I’ve also got a Dell server which has been switched off for months but was being used as a Plex sever so it’s going to donate it’s SSD and HDD to the old gaming rig.

Had more of a look round the new machine and I’m pretty pleased with how it’s been put together, cables are nicely routed, it’s all pretty clean and tidy. Mostly just off the shelf no-name fans etc but nothing offensive by any means. The design is still not to my taste, but does have a great feature for this sort of migration - a SATA connection on the top of the case which you can just slide a drive into. Perfect for getting the data off my old Plex disk onto the new one:

4682E1E0-4642-482E-84C8-3E6B2F3A16F9.jpeg

Mmmmm dat case..... yeesh!

There is at least plenty of free space in there for the motherboard. It’s completely lost in there.

FC081062-A432-46A1-A3E1-4EAB06DC7C54.jpeg

For the money though, I’m happy.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Believe NHS get 20% discount as well.

Checked our work discount scheme and only 4% cash back on offer from anything Dell :(

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Aaaaaand, I'm spent.

New gaming rig:
1x 256Gb M2 SSD - system disk
1x 750Gb 2.5" SSD - games
1x 4Tb HDD - por...... er...... media

Old gaming rig:
1x 256Gb 2.5" SSD - system
1x 3Tb 3.5" HDD - don't care, currently being DBAN'd before sale

Old Plex server:
Empty

Remind me again why this stuff is supposed to be fun? :D

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
The Acer panel fell close to that recently. They're all much of a muchness but that's a great price for that panel.

Certainly a lot better than 2.5k for a 27"... Rolls eyes

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
What’s the best way to setup our 2PCs to stream with (just looking to do it for a laugh nothing too professional lol).

I could theoretically use just my PC (8700K + 1080Ti) but I’ve read that the performance drop I’d experience when doing this would be significant. Jacks usually in bed early so I’d have his PC (6700k and 1080) to use as the streaming PC.

Elgato HD60 Pro can be had for reasonable money so would this be the best route?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
What’s the best way to setup our 2PCs to stream with (just looking to do it for a laugh nothing too professional lol).

I could theoretically use just my PC (8700K + 1080Ti) but I’ve read that the performance drop I’d experience when doing this would be significant. Jacks usually in bed early so I’d have his PC (6700k and 1080) to use as the streaming PC.

Elgato HD60 Pro can be had for reasonable money so would this be the best route?
Your i7 will be absolutely fine for streaming and playing tbh

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Your i7 will be absolutely fine for streaming and playing tbh

Rubbish, to have a decent bit-rate you need at least 16, preferably 32 cores. Said the AMD technical marketing bod.

AMD have thrown us right back into the core war. Maybe I'm just not as keen on spunking money as I was 5-10 years ago, but I don't need 10 cores, let alone 32. What consumers truly need that much processing power?

"I work in medical science and gladly welcome..." no you don't, shut up. Don't be silly. You play games like the rest of us. :D

On a serious note, 8700K is more than capable of streaming and playing, yeah

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
haha, like when I got the 14 core and then realised I didn't need it. This new 7900X does 4.8Ghz, though. Which is nice..
Very nice indeed! I was very concerned about the heat and keeping it cool when I bought it. All the reports I saw were saying it ran too hot and there were no ideal cooling solutions unless you were prepared to delid and/or run a full-on custom liquid loop. I took a punt on the new Corsair 320mm AIO and it's been great. Admittedly my office is toasty right now given the ambient temperatures but the CPU is staying reasonably cool, even with a little bit of an overclock on the CPU and memory.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
Very nice indeed! I was very concerned about the heat and keeping it cool when I bought it. All the reports I saw were saying it ran too hot and there were no ideal cooling solutions unless you were prepared to delid and/or run a full-on custom liquid loop. I took a punt on the new Corsair 320mm AIO and it's been great. Admittedly my office is toasty right now given the ambient temperatures but the CPU is staying reasonably cool, even with a little bit of an overclock on the CPU and memory.

Oh it gets hot. With over 1200mm worth of radiators lol. It's non delidded so it's only really for gaming. Things are under control with encoding, but not what you'd call 'nice and cool'. High 80s.

I don't do a great deal of encoding, so it's not an issue. Streaming perhaps

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone recommend some decent free video editing software. Not looking for anything too fancy, just something to help merge/crop recorded game clips.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Made a wee change today to the gaming setup. Wanted to get the Xbox One X hooked up to a monitor since it now supports 1440P resolution (and not all my mates I play with are part of the master race lol). Unfortunately there is no support for ultrawide and my monitor doesn't support 2560x1440 so I can't run it on that however it works perfectly on my son's 27" 1440P monitor.

42967627965_6a995bdee4_b.jpg

Still need to get some of those Ikea cable tidy things. I've also went from the K95 Platinum to the Logitech G810 keyboard. Was originally bought for my son but I gave it a go and really like it.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Anyone played Hunt: Showdown? It was free to play at the weekend (its still early access) but I ended up buying it (It was on offer as well). The games looks absolutely fantastic but is creepy as fook. I'd definitely recommend it as its definitely different from the usual FPS shooter.

Need to make sure the wee man isn't watching me play as this will give him nightmares (though will probably give me them to lol).