ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Clio
Finally settled on my PC.

So far, I've bought the cooler, memory and PSU.

Hopefully get the motherboard, CPU and case and next month and then the GPU and SSD the month after and I'll be good to go.

Follow that up by the Moza R9 and GT Omega Prime Lite a few months after and that will be me ready.

Does anyone know if the Fanatec CLS Pedals are compatible with the Moza?

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
2TB SSD in the Ally now. Along with 3 months Game Pass Ultimate, a nice new carry case and about a dozen games installed. Including the all important one 👀

19D32E63-D288-4952-9CAF-E179A3E22EB4.jpeg

The carry case feels very nice for the price.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Finally settled on my PC.

So far, I've bought the cooler, memory and PSU.

Hopefully get the motherboard, CPU and case and next month and then the GPU and SSD the month after and I'll be good to go.

Follow that up by the Moza R9 and GT Omega Prime Lite a few months after and that will be me ready.

Does anyone know if the Fanatec CLS Pedals are compatible with the Moza?
You should be alright with that mate.

The Fanatec software controls the wheel hub, the pedal base and any auxiliary items like the shifter and a handbrake.

It's entirely possible using that software to just have it for the pedal base alone. I did that previously when I had a set of Fanatec CSL Elite V1 pedals and used it in conjunction with my Logitech G27 at the time. The vast majority of titles allow you to configure non-connected devices to work together within the options menu.

I take it you haven't got the CSL pedals yet? If not, I would 100% recommend paying the extra for the load-cell equipped brake pedal. It makes a massive difference to the feedback within the braking zones.

Clio
You should be alright with that mate.

The Fanatec software controls the wheel hub, the pedal base and any auxiliary items like the shifter and a handbrake.

It's entirely possible using that software to just have it for the pedal base alone. I did that previously when I had a set of Fanatec CSL Elite V1 pedals and used it in conjunction with my Logitech G27 at the time. The vast majority of titles allow you to configure non-connected devices to work together within the options menu.

I take it you haven't got the CSL pedals yet? If not, I would 100% recommend paying the extra for the load-cell equipped brake pedal. It makes a massive difference to the feedback within the braking zones.
I have the CSL pedals and CSL V1 wheel, its just the DD they haven't delivered, which renders it all useless at the moment. I did have a read about the connectivity. I assumed it would all run through the hub. Guess thats how it works when using all Fanatec on the box? PC has the mix and match options.

Few options on the table now, the eBay Fanatec 8nm or go for the Moza R9 or Fanatec defy all the odds and deleiver on what I paid for

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I have the CSL pedals and CSL V1 wheel, its just the DD they haven't delivered, which renders it all useless at the moment. I did have a read about the connectivity. I assumed it would all run through the hub. Guess thats how it works when using all Fanatec on the box? PC has the mix and match options.

Few options on the table now, the eBay Fanatec 8nm or go for the Moza R9 or Fanatec defy all the odds and deleiver on what I paid for
The CSL pedals support both DD hub connectivity and USB connection straight to the PC. In fact, the latter is the only way that you can update the firmware on the pedal base. Don't connect both at the same time however, or else you can damage the unit.

That's ridiculous that the DD is still outstanding for you. The 8Nm version is simply the 5Nm version with a higher output power-pack as you probably know - but if you can find a decent one on eBay.......

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
just got my normal NVIDIA reminder for the updates and noticed 2 things weren't going ok, the Graphics Driver and the HD Audio Driver both failed. Any ideas on why this has happened please?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
just got my normal NVIDIA reminder for the updates and noticed 2 things weren't going ok, the Graphics Driver and the HD Audio Driver both failed. Any ideas on why this has happened please?
Did you run DDU and boot into safe mode before installing drivers? Sometimes they can mess up if you don't remove the old drivers first

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Did you run DDU and boot into safe mode before installing drivers? Sometimes they can mess up if you don't remove the old drivers first
Sorry I’m not a pc wizard, what’s DDU? I wouldn’t know how to remove the old drivers first, I’ve been doing the same thing I’ve been doing for a long time snd had no issues like this before

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sorry I’m not a pc wizard, what’s DDU? I wouldn’t know how to remove the old drivers first, I’ve been doing the same thing I’ve been doing for a long time snd had no issues like this before
It's a program called Display Driver Uninstaller. It completely removes all traces of existing drivers from your PC so you don't get any weird issues when updating them. Try doing a clean install as @SharkyUK suggested above, but if it happens again then download DDU and try running that first.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Guys what would this be worth?

Graphics: ASUS Dual GTX 1070 8Gb
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2x8gb 3200MHz
Storage: NVme SSD WD 512 Gb
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M 750w
Case: Antec p101s (silent) with 4 fans

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Guys what would this be worth?

Graphics: ASUS Dual GTX 1070 8Gb
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2x8gb 3200MHz
Storage: NVme SSD WD 512 Gb
Power Supply: Corsair CX750M 750w
Case: Antec p101s (silent) with 4 fans
A rough guess would be £5-600, depending on age?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Graphics card sells for right around 80 quid, processor 40ish, 50 quid ish for the mobo, 20 for the ram.

£250-300 is about right

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Guy wants £400 for it.

My little one at home I use for 3d modelling has just s**t itself big time, so I was hoping I could cheaply bridge the gap.
If you have a GPU i have a HP Z820 Workstation i've recently replaced that should cover 3d modelling quite comfortable, Dual Processor/128GB Ram etc

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
My little girl loves playing Minecraft on her tablet, but once in a blue moon I'll stick it on the PC so she can play it with mods. Previously I've used a variety of texture packs, either high resolution vanilla style ones or realistic looking ones, and a path traced global illumination shader pack. The results have been pretty impressive.
Vanilla:
1000031698.png
1000031696.png

Modded:
1000031699.png
1000031697.png

Now those were fine, but the latest mods are absolutely mind blowing. Previously the default render distance was 12 chunks, and maxed out at 96 assuming your PC could even manage it. However there's a new mod called Distant Horizons, which allows a massive increase in render distance by using variable LODs. Combined with a mod which generates larger terrain features this gives the game a completely different feel. Here's a couple of screenshots with the render distance cranked up to 512 chunks, which my PC wasn't particularly happy about but was still more than playable.
1000031700.jpg
1000031706.jpg
1000031702.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'm kinda surprised they're not doing a 4090Ti model to round the series off, 50 series cards are expected in about 6 months.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking at a new curved monitor around 34" but something that bothers me in fps game is the pixel pitch. Can you use say 2/3 (whatever's closest to 16:9) of the width of the screen in game with the edges blacked out?

Edit: Of course you cant duplicate pixels! Will need to go down to 32" with 3840x2160 at least..

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm kinda surprised they're not doing a 4090Ti model to round the series off, 50 series cards are expected in about 6 months.

It wasn't worth taking the 4090ti reference design/model through to a full production-ready version as there is not much call; the 4090 has pulled quite a performance gap over other GPUs on the market and it doesn't really have any appreciable competition at present. Of course, you have to pay a somewhat ridiculous premium for it but that's the way these days. I suspect (assuming nVidia don't suddenly announce a 4090ti variant) that they will simply pump the money into bringing the 50x0 series to market instead.

It will be interesting to see what new features (or advancements) are made with the new cards. I'm not sure where the majority of the performance uplifts will be, although I suspect it will be in the Tensor and RT cores. The top-end nVidia and AMD GPU cards are so ridiculously powerful when it comes to rasterisation that I'm not sure there's much benefit in trying to pump up the performance there. Modern cards are already capable of pumping out more polygons per second than there are pixels on a screen, and at increasingly higher frame rates too. Whilst I appreciate that's an oversimplification of the rasterisation process, the real hit to performance is in what goes on in realising each pixel of those polys that are rendered to the screen (or those that are culled/discarded early doors). Hence, that's why I think the real increases in performance will be seen in the "general purpose" processing units (CUDA cores, for example) and the likes of the Tensor and RT cores (or equivalent). I'd also expect a big uplift in VRAM on the top-end GPUs too. Keeping large scene graphs and frequently accessed data in local memory is essential to avoid stalls by having to shift large blocks of data across the bus, and those scene graphs are becoming increasingly complex and data-rich.

All in my opinion, of course. 🤣

I'm looking at a new curved monitor around 34" but something that bothers me in fps game is the pixel pitch. Can you use say 2/3 (whatever's closest to 16:9) of the width of the screen in game with the edges blacked out?

Edit: Of course you cant duplicate pixels! Will need to go down to 32" with 3840x2160 at least..

Are you thinking of ultrawide such as 32:9 or 21:9 at 1440p? If so, yes - you can set the monitors to run at 1920x1080, 2560x1440, or whatever "standard" 16:9 resolution you prefer. This will result in the black borders of course.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I have to admit that I don't think I could go back to flat panels after using curved monitors for the last few years (for both gaming and productivity). I just find them easier to work on and more immersive for gaming. The only flat panel I have is a calibrated screen for graphics/design work but that hardly gets used these days.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I have to admit that I don't think I could go back to flat panels after using curved monitors for the last few years (for both gaming and productivity). I just find them easier to work on and more immersive for gaming. The only flat panel I have is a calibrated screen for graphics/design work but that hardly gets used these days.
100%

I went back to flat to go 4k from 1440p but now there are curved options I wouldn't go any other way.

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
@Ph1 Tom

I don't have a good reference to compare the m32uc to, going from 60hz 1080p to 144hz 2160p has blown my mind! From reviews this is one of the best price to performance at £600, I read someone say there's no real point going to a more expensive ips monitor and waiting for oled technology to improve.