ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Here's a review of the OP7. Not watched it yet but my mate said it's looking like a great phone.

@ForceIndia is it the camera software that's bad then? I'd assume the hardware if they are saying it's poor in low light. The Google camera APK. will probably be out a day or two after release I'd imagine.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Here's a review of the OP7. Not watched it yet but my mate said it's looking like a great phone.

@ForceIndia is it the camera software that's bad then? I'd assume the hardware if they are saying it's poor in low light. The Google camera APK. will probably be out a day or two after release I'd imagine.
It's software. That's why Google get such good results with a single lens system.

Crap example, but just took these. First is the OnePlus app, second the Google camera app. Both on a oneplus 6. Look at the details behind the chair, the Google gets more detail, less noise. And weirdly, a wider field.

There's still some light in this room,the darker the scene the more pronounced the difference.
ec07e551a8b759dce9515c19db95f2bf.jpg
0262a828acc92e4967603e96f7c1b9a4.jpg

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
With Huawei in the s**t its kind of pit my next phone up in the air as was planning the P Smart 2019.

Looking at -

Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
Samsung A7
Asus ZenFone Pro Max M2

Any others to look at?
Don't really want to go over £200 if I can help it.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Well the Gf's smashed but still functional iphone today went to smashed and completely ruined.

Gave her the list above to research and she's opted for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 7.

Could've got it cheaper from overseas but £181 on Amazon (Delivery is tomorrow) for 4gb Ram and 64gb memory.

If it's decent I might follow suit unless anything else comes out before I'm ready to change.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I've got the Xiaomi Mi 9 and it's been fine.

Pity Trump s**t all over Huawei, the Honor range of phones were really great value and there were some cracking options in the £200-£300 range.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So I've been offered a free early upgrade from O2. Currently using the Pixel 2XL.

Got to be honest. Nothing is making me want to sign a new contract. Closest I came to swapping was the iPhone 8+.

Pixel 2XL has everything I want in a phone, there are no real compromises. No notch, dual front facing speakers, finger print id, 1440p OLED screen, stock android.

Don't get the want for no bezels. It always ends up registering palms when you are operating one handed.

Anyone else in the same boat? Think I might just go back to SIM only and keep this phone come October if noting else has come out.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be in the same boat soon. Think it'll be the first time I won't upgrade. I'll probably stick to sim only, maybe even bin off O2 and go to EE as it's miles better for internet and general signal but contracts are a lot more than 02.
The 2xl is more than good enough tbh.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Tip if you're going sim only or want a better deal on a contract phone;

Go through mobiles.co.uk or mobiles direct. You can save alot on monthly cost than upgrading through your provider

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So I've been offered a free early upgrade from O2. Currently using the Pixel 2XL.

Got to be honest. Nothing is making me want to sign a new contract. Closest I came to swapping was the iPhone 8+.

Pixel 2XL has everything I want in a phone, there are no real compromises. No notch, dual front facing speakers, finger print id, 1440p OLED screen, stock android.

Don't get the want for no bezels. It always ends up registering palms when you are operating one handed.

Anyone else in the same boat? Think I might just go back to SIM only and keep this phone come October if noting else has come out.

I've had my Pixel 2 XL for 1.5 years now and I'm exactly the same. There are no real weaknesses and there's certainly nothing out there that makes me want to change it.

As for the camera, I think it's pretty f***ing epic myself. For a good period of time is was rated as one of, if not, the best phone cameras out there...so it's plenty good enough for me.

I've started using it more and more when capturing b-roll footage for my videos instead of dragging my big Sony 4K around with me. The audio's not a patch on the Sony (+ Rode mic) but for b-roll it's just the video that matters...and, optical zoom aside, it blows away my £500 camcorder. The footage it captures is just so good!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be in the same boat soon. Think it'll be the first time I won't upgrade. I'll probably stick to sim only, maybe even bin off O2 and go to EE as it's miles better for internet and general signal but contracts are a lot more than 02.
The 2xl is more than good enough tbh.
Yeah one thing I'm struggling with is signal and data speed. Really unhappy with it.

Think I'll probably go to Vodafone as where I live and work they have the best signal of the lot.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
still no news on folding phones so I might go get the new sony Xperia 1 tomorrow. my last 4 phones have been Xperia's and loved every one

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
How are you finding the camera?

I was reading a review yesterday and they say it's superb (all Sony cameras have been great tbh)

I nearly got one before I got my Note 9 18 months ag (which lasted less than a month) but the guy said he'd had to send his back a few times due to battery and build issues.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Question regarding cables.

I bought a new power bank and it has a USB Cable attached to it. Im assuming thats for charging it it wouldnt be any quicker on fast charge USB C to USB C?

Also does anyone have a decent multi usb cable? Wife has an iphone and with micro usb i have too many cables everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Also i have changed from and s8 to the s10.
When i do transfer my apps and data does it keep log ins etc like iCloud.

I have done a smart switch and all my apps need relogging in?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Are you signed in using Google? When I swap phones I need to sign into my Google account but then the passwords are saved. Not sure if this is only on Nexus/Pixel devices though.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Damn Samsung pass is device only not cloud. Thats the issue...

I really like samsung internet but the password manager isn't cross device!!!!

May have to start using Chrome

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I never liked the samsung browser.

Samsung account will transfer everything over. Samsung pass isn't device only but you need to have a samsung account. It's just incloud but samsung.

My other half and me have done it a few times now with zero issue.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not long till the Note 10. My Note 8 two years later literally runs like it does out the box. Compared with the lag issues on the pixel 3 etc I laugh at the abuse samsung take for it's software. It's the lightest it's been ever and nothing a 2 second launcher download doesn't fix.

The problem some of the pixels have is terrible, no point having the best software if the phone is letting it down.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Pixel 2xl. 2 years on nearly. No issues.
My note 8 lasted under a month before I returned it, just couldn't get on with it.

Not sure if I'll even upgrade come contract renewal tbh.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I never liked the samsung browser.

Samsung account will transfer everything over. Samsung pass isn't device only but you need to have a samsung account. It's just incloud but samsung.

My other half and me have done it a few times now with zero issue.

Yup your correct!!!
My error.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
My wife and I are both with Vodafone and are sim only. We pay £16 a month each for 20GB and unlimited everything else.
The other day my wife lost her phone and we phoned Vodafone to pause her account and lock the phone until we could either find it or get anew one. Well we have finally decided the old one is not coming back so are looking for the cheapest iPhone we can find.
Can anyone point out the cheapest iPhone and where from.?
We both had iphone6's so one like that would be fine.
Advanced thanks

Ian.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Sim only? Second hand? or contract?
I was hoping just to get a new iPhone and get Vodafone activate the new handset with the current 20 gig of date etc.
just wondering where the cheapest place to buy is. Not too worried about a refurb either.
Thanks.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Some really good refurb deals out there. Picked up an XR before Christmas for a small amount.

If you want touch id then just get an older 8?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Bought from here before also.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ok im back and apologies in advance.
The wife got a really cheap deal on a iPhone 6s Plus from a friend with 128 Gig memory so she's happy.
The thing she cant remember(or me) is how to transfer her old contacts from the cloud onto her new phone.
She got the new blank sim this morning and signed into iTunes and everything with my password etc and she's now got a mirror of my phone.
How do I retrieve her old contacts and get them on her new phone? or are they lost.?
Cheers,

Ian.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
Its upgrade time and I've been offered a deal, I think it's ok but I'm not sure;

S10 plus, 24 month contract, 20gb data, unlimited calls and texts, galaxy buds for free, £29 upfront and £42 PCM.

I've had a look online and no one else can seem to get near this. £1037 over 2 years when the phone and the galaxy buds are £1038 to buy just on their own. Effectively the price plan is free

Good deal?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Its upgrade time and I've been offered a deal, I think it's ok but I'm not sure;

S10 plus, 24 month contract, 20gb data, unlimited calls and texts, galaxy buds for free, £29 upfront and £42 PCM.

I've had a look online and no one else can seem to get near this. £1037 over 2 years when the phone and the galaxy buds are £1038 to buy just on their own. Effectively the price plan is free

Good deal?
Who is this with? My upgrade is soon and this is a decent deal