ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It won't be as complete a phone as the pixel imo. That's polished Android. It depends what you want and price point.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Whats the price difference like though?

Huawei are supposedly trying to break into the western markets so you'd expect the prices to be very good to help drive sales.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The Huawei cameras are really good. I'm not convinced they will be as good as the Pixel 2xl and the interface will be a bit all over the place. Depends what you want though. The night shots do look great but how often are you taking pictures at night? I've not had any issues with my 2XL yet.

One thing for Huawei, the customer service is great. Twice when I had issues with the Nexus 6p, I had it back repaired within a week. Carphone warehouse said it could take up to 4 weeks at their in house repair center.

I think they are similar prices to the Pixel.

Sorry to start a different discussion in parallel, but what Android phone would people recommend on a £150 to £200 budget?

My partners OnePlus X is dead (dropped) and she's looking to replace it. I got a Moto G5 Plus last time which seems ok apart from a poor camera, I just wanted to know if there was anything better around 6 months on?

Cheers

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
A second hand Nexus 6 or Pixel? One plus?
Don't think anything new in that price range will be great tbh.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Since the Oreo update.

Im sure that multi window opens automatically.

I was browsing and i received a WhatsApp and then a small WhatsApp window opened up somehow. I didn't press anything special that i know of. Google maps did the same thing recently too.

Did i press something by mistake or is it a new feature i haven't utilised?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Figured it out. Swipe down on a notification to open it in a popup window! Definitely a new Oreo feature as I've never had it do that before the update either.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Figured it out. Swipe down on a notification to open it in a popup window! Definitely a new Oreo feature as I've never had it do that before the update either.
Nah doesn't work. Apparently if someone video calls on WhatsApp it goes to pop up

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to start a different discussion in parallel, but what Android phone would people recommend on a £150 to £200 budget?

My partners OnePlus X is dead (dropped) and she's looking to replace it. I got a Moto G5 Plus last time which seems ok apart from a poor camera, I just wanted to know if there was anything better around 6 months on?

Cheers
I've got an Asus ZenFone 4 Max and pretty happy with it, I think they do a 5 now but not sure it has the same huge battery but not everyone cares about that.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Cheers

G5+ is a top shout. You're never going to get a great camera at that price point, having tried a OnePlus 3T after my Moto G4 I wouldn't even bother with anything more than a Motorola unless 'good camera' is one of your requirements, and then Pixel 2 is the answer.

Stock Android is the best, and I don't know of any other manufacturers that deliver a stock Android experience other than Motorola (although I'm sure there are some out there!)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Im running nova prime maybe that's why

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
what the consensus regarding contract v sim only.

between the four of us in our house we are all SIM only, but my daughter is after a new phone and has just started looking about at contracts.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
what the consensus regarding contract v sim only.

between the four of us in our house we are all SIM only, but my daughter is after a new phone and has just started looking about at contracts.

I go with whatever i cheapest over the period I think I’ll keep the phone (which at the moment is two years).

SIM only + phone = amount / 24 months = price
Contract pcm * 24 months - price

Compare and see what comes out best.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Same it only comes down to price... SIM only usually wins for me. I bought my iPhone X on credit card and continue to pay my EE SIM only contract of £20 p/m for 16Gb data :up:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There was very little difference for me as I get Vida discount and a better data allowance via contract.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sim only and buy the phone on CC or outright is often the cheapest, also I have noticed they don't tend to put the price up mid contract on the sim only deals.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Do people use Samsung or Google pay?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member

I use it more than my card now (Google pay)
Have you used it yet? I can recommend it to you and we'll both receive £10 credit on the Google store once you've used your phone to pay for something.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Huawei P20 Pro. Talk to me.

Mrs' nexus 5 has finally given up (constant boot cycling), so she's going to have my 6P and I'm thinking of getting the P20

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

I use it more than my card now (Google pay)
Have you used it yet? I can recommend it to you and we'll both receive £10 credit on the Google store once you've used your phone to pay for something.
Yeah I have. I don't get it, unlock phone and then I have to swipe up for it to bring the card up and use it?
Google pay you just unlock phone and it detects straight away

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I have. I don't get it, unlock phone and then I have to swipe up for it to bring the card up and use it?
Google pay you just unlock phone and it detects straight away

Sorry, I meant Google Pay. Simple as unlocking your phone.
I never used Samsung, had a Note 8 for a few weeks and hated it, went back to Google devices.

I got sent a link from Google recently offering sign ups to Google Pay with both people receiving £10 Play credit.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Mrs' nexus 5 has finally given up (constant boot cycling), so she's going to have my 6P and I'm thinking of getting the P20

Camera looks epic but I'd be concerned about going from vanilla Android to a Chinese skinned variant... A mate of mine is trying to buy one atm I'll let you know about the OS if I have a go anytime soon.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Camera looks epic but I'd be concerned about going from vanilla Android to a Chinese skinned variant... A mate of mine is trying to buy one atm I'll let you know about the OS if I have a go anytime soon.
My mates not long got one and he's been vanilla Android for years.
He says the camera is absolutely ridiculous, best he's used. Phone feels nice in the hand too.

He said there are a few niggles with the skin/os. Certain things can't be changed, some notifications can't be swiped away etc. He's running a different launcher, think he's changed from Nova, I'll ask what he's using instead.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
This is my worry. I've used vanilla android since the day the Nexus 5 was released. I've just had a Samsung work phone so I know for sure I can't cope with their shite version of Android. Is the Huawei version going to be as bad?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
This is my worry. I've used vanilla android since the day the Nexus 5 was released. I've just had a Samsung work phone so I know for sure I can't cope with their shite version of Android. Is the Huawei version going to be as bad?
Potentially worse in my opinion.

All I know is I had a OnePlus device (Chinese brand) and everyone says it's "nearly vanilla" and coming from vanilla on the Motorola G4 I hated it. Pixel is obviously back to standard, although not without bugs.. but at least it doesn't have the dogshit UI features that the smaller companies seem to think are better than Google's UI Devs.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Have you tried any HTCs? U12 is out soon. I've always bought them for years. Sense is nice to use, updates could be quicker but I've always been happy with them. And they've caught up to Samsung/Sony etc with the dust and water proofing now. I've got the U11 which everyone was underwhelmed with the special feature (squeeze to do stuff, edge sense). But if like me you regularly have hands covered in paint, dust, general shite it's a handy feature (with a case on it).

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member

From my mate who has one...

Screenshot_20180504-045548.png

So it comes with it's own apps, like samsun and others do, so if you use Google you'll have duplicate (I forgot to ask if you can delete them or not)

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Anybody been following rumours for the oneplus 6? Looking like it could be a very decent phone but prices are rising every model...

Been considering replacements for my S8 so waiting to see how the OP6 looks. I like the S8 and don't mind the Samsung UI but the time they take to roll out OS updates is terrible.

Black 200
Anybody been following rumours for the oneplus 6? Looking like it could be a very decent phone but prices are rising every model...

Been considering replacements for my S8 so waiting to see how the OP6 looks. I like the S8 and don't mind the Samsung UI but the time they take to roll out OS updates is terrible.

Yes i've been following it, looking forward to release. I've bought their last few phones and its worked out quite well. Had my Oneplus 5 for 6 months, sold it for £400 so £100 over 6 months isn't bad. Will hope to do the same with the 6.