ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Ordered the Samsung S8 which will be getting delivered on Tuesday after 5 years of IOS I'm joining Android how easy will it be to transfer everything from my iPhone to the Samsung?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iirc you just plug your iPhone into the S8 and it does it all for you. I would recommend getting a screen protector on asap, the screen gets scuffed very very easily.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
My upgrade is due tomorrow and im thinking of getting the Samsung S8 or Google Pixel 2.

Whats deals have people got on these phones?.

So far Vodafone can do me the S8 with 4GB of data for £43 a month and dont do the pixel 2.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't buy an S8 at this stage over a pixel. I'd be going pixel XL though. The so has come out but the new pixel hasn't. Camera is incredible.

Oh and this is from a massive Samsung fan with a note 8.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
From what so understand although I don't pay too much attention but for camera quality get the Pixel 2 and for screen quality get the S8.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I'm torn whether to upgrade my Sony Z3 Dual to the Xperia X / XZpremium or the S8

I didn't like the feel of the Pixel 2, plus is only has a 12pm camera as opposed to the 23mp on the Sony

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm torn whether to upgrade my Sony Z3 Dual to the Xperia X / XZpremium or the S8

I didn't like the feel of the Pixel 2, plus is only has a 12pm camera as opposed to the 23mp on the Sony

MP isn't the be all and end all.

Watching the Pixel do its magic on photos after the fact is always impressive. Took a shot last night of some cars, it was super dark and the viewfinder was covered in noise. Clicked the photo immediately after taking it and all number plates were unreadable, then a few seconds later it removed most of the noise and you could zoom in and read the plates.

Stuff like that just impresses me with the camera, it's a special piece of kit and I could see a reason to not buy it when it was £900. But not now.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
My mate is thinking of getting this. The camera looks great for the price of the phone.

Please don't rate the camera on mp, it's a massively flawed way to compare.

I got rid of my Note 8 after a month or so of ownership. Picked up a Pixel2XL and haven't looked back.

Hated the UI of the Note. Everything seemed wrong after using Google phones for the previous 6 or so years.
Pixel camera is the best you'll get on a phone at the moment (not seen the scores for the Samsung S9 yet but I'd wager it's still better)
One thing I did like on the Notes camera was it made a video when you created a Panorama. That's about it tbh.

As for feeling in the hand, the note felt long. Not a massive size difference between the two. Didn't like the curved screen either on the Note.

fulhamfcboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Laguna V6 and 19 16v

I have been an Android user for ages, having gone through the 1 plus 1 right up to the 5T. They were all good handsets but the Pixel 2 (XL) is excellent. The Android experience is so clean you would never go near anything Samsung or Sony fettled, and the camera is amazing, it really is. Ignore MP, they mean nothing in this in this equation when the Pixel camera is in question.....

AG 200 cup
Just got a Huawei mate 10 Pro last week. Was sceptical about Huawei but have the say everything on it seems good, has the biggest battery of any smartphone and will last nearly two days even with quite abit of use. Camera seems on par with the Samsung I've seen and the screen quality is better then my LG g5 see how it holds up in the next two years while it's an Asia "cheap" phone.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Just got a Huawei mate 10 Pro last week. Was sceptical about Huawei but have the say everything on it seems good, has the biggest battery of any smartphone and will last nearly two days even with quite abit of use. Camera seems on par with the Samsung I've seen and the screen quality is better then my LG g5 see how it holds up in the next two years while it's an Asia "cheap" phone.
The warranty is great tbh.
They made the Nexus 6 p and I had a couple of issues. One was some bits had fallen into the lens meaning every image had bits in it.
Got in touch with them and sent it back in some packaging that they provided. Had it retuned back in a few days.

Nearing the end of my contract, the battery started to go really s**t, cutting off at 40%. Again, contacted them and sent it back. New battery and retunred wihin a week.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Still getting use to the S8,only thing i dont like so far is when i get notifications from Whatsapp,Instagram it doesnt show who its from?,where as on my iphone it did.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That's not right. Settings need looked at. Also download nova launcher and take it to another level.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It'll be part of the always on screen settings won't it. Iirc you can allow it to show just the app or go into more detail.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Nova launcher replaces what Samsung use as the base of your phone. Can customize anything you want with it, making it a nicer phone to use.

As for your notifications, try this:

Screenshot_20180318-215123.png

And s**t like that is one of the reasons why my Note 8 only lasted me a month or so. Samsung go the long way around doing s**t.

172 Cup
Looking at buying a new phone outright for work and personal (so needs to be dual sim).
Anything else worth looking at other than the oneplus 5T 128GB? Seems good VFM at £500 outright, and the spec looks great!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The best is mental as is the performance. Unlock is the quickest on any phone. Would be where my money might be.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
on the S8 is there a decent photo folder i can get?,as im finding the Gallery really annoying on it,as my photos are all over the place and when i go to send a photo on lets say whatsapp,it brings up a different photo app with only a choice of 8 photos then i have to go into the gallery app to get the photos.iphone photos were so much easier and straight forward to get and find.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
on the S8 is there a decent photo folder i can get?,as im finding the Gallery really annoying on it,as my photos are all over the place and when i go to send a photo on lets say whatsapp,it brings up a different photo app with only a choice of 8 photos then i have to go into the gallery app to get the photos.iphone photos were so much easier and straight forward to get and find.
Try quick pick.
Had various folders (creates automatically if you import using a different method, ie direct from camera, downloads from Facebook, Flickr etc) and you can add more if needed.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Why is it when I try to send a photo or upload a photo it never goes to my photo gallery,it shows only like 8 photos then I have to go into another tab/option to find my photos! or they will all be in different files!,I'm finding this Samsung S8 so complicated to use and hard work.Tempted to go back to IPhone & get the X

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You're using it wrong. So so wrong. Here I will show you what my one looks like. In alpha order except the start.

Also Google photos is an app.

d9b765a110fc9f2eec523f9c347255c0.jpg

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Since the Oreo update.

Im sure that multi window opens automatically.

I was browsing and i received a WhatsApp and then a small WhatsApp window opened up somehow. I didn't press anything special that i know of. Google maps did the same thing recently too.

Did i press something by mistake or is it a new feature i haven't utilised?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Since the Oreo update.

Im sure that multi window opens automatically.

I was browsing and i received a WhatsApp and then a small WhatsApp window opened up somehow. I didn't press anything special that i know of. Google maps did the same thing recently too.

Did i press something by mistake or is it a new feature i haven't utilised?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I had this also the other week! Got a WhatsApp notification and it opened in a pop up window and not full screen. No f**king idea how I did it though!

Definitely only happened since the Oreo update. I know Google maps works with "picture-in-picture" where if you come out the app while using navigation it minimises into a small window in the corner, but I don't know about WhatsApp doing anything like that.

Reactions: riz

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
They're good phones. New work colleague has the mate 10 pro and it's a cracking phone. Camera is immense.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
They're good phones. New work colleague has the mate 10 pro and it's a cracking phone. Camera is immense.

Yeah was reading the comparison thread between the P20 & Pixel 2 on The Verge... very close, and some of it is definitely down to personal preference but I do think the P20 tipped it to be honest.