ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The first home computers

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I had hundreds of games for my C64 on 5 1/4. I even had a basic word processor and database programs, being about 8 at the time I had no idea what to do with them :smile:

Goliath I
We had a Commodore 64. Was bought for us as kids to mainly use for games. It seemed like you had to wait an age for a game to load, and those colours and and whirring! lol

I remember asking my dad what else I could do with it and he said you could 'Code'. I asked what that was and he handed me the C64 manual (which I still have today). The book was filled with different programs you could type out....

I spent 4 hours typing out a code that bounced a bloody ball around the screen!!!

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Amstrad_PC1512DD.jpg

All my friends at school had C64's and were all swapping games in the playground. I had the above PC (amstrad 1512DD), one of the first PC's - didnt even run windows 3.1!. I spent all my time on it mastering DOS, playing games like leisure suit larry, defender of the crown and kings quest.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear, that's my afternoon lost to retro gaming.....

View attachment 141055
So awesome! We had some earlier stuff, especially with 2 older brothers who were into gaming. We had a random football manager style game for the spectrum as well that we spent years on!

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
So awesome! We had some earlier stuff, especially with 2 older brothers who were into gaming. We had a random football manager style game for the spectrum as well that we spent years on!

Soccer Boss? Many hours spent on that

Soccer%20Boss%20(Alternative).jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Flololols! So many memories! And I was proper young!

DCi
I think my first console was a sega mega drive

I remember being allowed to go in toys r us and pick the yellow ticket things off the wall to get a game

That had cartridges - I don't remember having a console that ran off a tape!

RB Clio 182
The first computer I played on was at first school in the 80's, I'm not sure what computer it was but I use to love Grannys Garden.

The first one I owned was a master system

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
The first computer I played on was at first school in the 80's, I'm not sure what computer it was but I use to love Grannys Garden.

The first one I owned was a master system

I've been trying to remember what that game was for years! I used to play that at school aswell

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, the good old (early) days of computing. When - as sn00p says - you basically had to build it yourself before you could use it! :tonguewink:

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
We still have the original Apple Macintosh I which my mum used for word processing mainly.
We also still have a later Mac that my dad used to do invoices on and my brother and i used to play Apeiron - a simple shooting game which i downloaded on my macbook for old times sake!

I had an Amstrad too - used to play Indiana Jones on that!

My brother used to have an Einstein and he would build programs to help me learn times tables when i was a young kid!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
My dad's first PC had an Intel 286 processor, couple of years later he upgraded to a 486. I remember them costing ££££ too!

25 Mhz processor FTW!

Same spec as my first PC! An Elonex 486-SX 25Mhz with 2MB memory and a 52MB hard drive. I got that back in November 1992 and cost just over a grand back then - mainly under the guise of using it for college work (lol).

The following year, I went baller spec and bought a 486-DX 33Mhz CPU to go in it. Never really looked at any other platform since - PCs all the way.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I started out aged 4 when a grandparent bought us a ZX Spectrum+ christmas 1984

View attachment 141054

You haven't lived if you never played Horace goes Skiing or Daley Thomsons decathlon!

Hah! I went through several joysticks on the C64 with that. Iirc, the last event was the 1,500 metres and that was an arm killer.

Always made me laugh how the graphics made DT's torso look like it was rotating, rather than his arms swinging in motion.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I remember my dad (who owned a computer shop at the time) had a PC with a Megadrive built into it - it was called a "Mega PC" I believe!

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
I went from a Commodore 64 to an Amiga 600. For my first proper PC I built myself a 486 DX-33, 2MB of RAM, 35MB HDD, 3.5" FDD :cool:, hard to believe how much more powerful even a mobile phone is in comparison some 20 years later.

Cayman S Edition 1
I had a ZX Spectrum (with micro drive & interface1), then went to an Amiga 500.

Man I'm old:(

Haha i rememeber my dad having an old Amstrad, god knows what the spec was but it was grey/black and the keyboard had a built in tape drive, we had a huge external 3.5 floppy drive!

Doom1 had 12 floopy disc's to play the game which i found a few weeks back, along with all the discs for Doom2 as well

That said i found my Doom3 CD's the other day, thats 4 CD's its self!

After the PC above i remember my dad buying a PC whcih was built by contessa from a place called Tempo, Pentium mmx 266mhz processor, 500mb hdd and some 4x cd drive i think it was, 13" crt display and that cost almost £2k