ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The easy way to Sound Deadening and Tar Removal

Right guys...

First step... just like everyone else.. HEAT GUN & SCRAPER

You’ll get most of the deadening off this way, but you’ll have plenty of residue remaining.

Then use AUTOSMART JELSOL

4CCF3273-9798-45EC-96E6-88A0B4593D5E.jpeg

I know I’ve said this in a few threads now, but I really can’t stress enough at how good this product is.

I spent a fair while on DetailingWorld and at one point I was addicted to it ? so bought loads of stuff that I really didn’t need and this was one of them...

If you want a cheap and fast way to remove your sound deadening or you badges etc.. this is the bottle to grab

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Autosmart Tardis does a really good job too.

It's probably the same stuff just in a pressurised can form.

Autosmart Tardis does a really good job too.

It's probably the same stuff just in a pressurised can form.

Similar product, they both have completely different uses though.

I wouldn’t use tardis on anything other than a painted surface.

If you’ve used Tardis on the sound deadening, it’ll take a lot longer for it to dissolve/remove than Jelsol.

However I do have Tardis in the workshop for other services ?

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Get some dry ice in pellet form, apply it over the sound deadening for about 5 mins. Then it literally breaks off in large pieces. Little bit of tardis to get the residue left off. Can do a whole car in less than 90mins

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Iv heard of heat gun and scraper for the roof but put a damp towel on the roof on the outside to help keep it cool?

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I used the wife's hairdryer, took a bit longer but worked fine. Pretty sure Renault used a different adhesive for the roof, I have some Jelsol to attack the residue with when I finally get round to it

dan's cast offs.
i'd do the roof with solvent or dry ice or even just leave it on. seen a fair few where the roof is covered in bumps from scraping it off. doesn't take much to start to distort a roof panel. will try and get a pic of one to show how bad it can look.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Dry ice for the roof would have to be on the outside, not sure how well it would penetrate and once its brittle it still needs a bit of a hit / scrape to break it up.
I tried doing the bits on the side of the gear stick tunnel / rear seats with just laying the dry ice against it but couldnt get a good enough contact area to have any effect

I used the wife's hairdryer, took a bit longer but worked fine. Pretty sure Renault used a different adhesive for the roof, I have some Jelsol to attack the residue with when I finally get round to it

I found the adhesive on the roof to be a lot thicker than anywhere else, I guess this is because the roof is/would have been quite a flimsy piece of metal without it.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I found the adhesive on the roof to be a lot thicker than anywhere else, I guess this is because the roof is/would have been quite a flimsy piece of metal without it.

Yeah seems to be a more flexible/rubbery adhesive, I know from experience that Autoglym tar & adhesive remover doesn't touch it. I really should attack whats left before I go fitting the roof scoop that's arrived :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
My cat frequently causes the the roof to pop in and out whilst exploring the garage :)

I used a heat gun and ice scraper and just went carefully, easy to be heavy handed I guess but it just takes patience

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
That stuff may be good, but it's over £30 a litre. Petrol does the job just fine in my experience and is much cheaper lol