ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subframe bolts

monaco 172
Hey guys.

I'm going to do my clutch at the weekend and am going to lower the subframe to go live better access rather than strip the bay out completely and try doing it from the top.

I'm assuming that the captive nuts will spin.

What's the best tool to get in there with and what size will I need?

I know it's a case of snapping the cage off and holding the nut with either a spanner or socket and I'd rather buy the right tools tonight before I crack on.

Swan neck spanner fit in there? If so what size?

Socket and rachet fit in there? If so, deep socket required?

Are the front and rear bolts both the same size?

monaco 172
Scrap that, you can access the rears. They're 18mm.

Just done a few searches.
Nice 1 cheers.

I think I've read every subframe thread on the forum but got conflicting answers.

So we recon I'm gonna need a 16mm and 18mm swan neck spanner then.

monaco 172
use sockets?
I don't think a socket will fit in the access hole will it?

Yeh I've got an impact gun, I'll give it a shot. Lubed up the rears a few days ago, I'll do them again tonight.

Can't get to the fronts without taking the bumper though so I'll make that my first job on the stripdown.

monaco 172
I used a spanner socket attachment with a 3/8 deep socket for the front 2, quick and easy with a gun. I use these a lot as well very handy
Those look perfect for the task, can't bloody find anywhere that stocks them locally, I wonder if Amazon delivery works the bank holiday!?

dan's cast offs.
Open ended spanner for the rear ones and swan neck for the front. If they do spin pop the captive strip out otherwise you won't get a spanner on properly.

monaco 172
Well it's not going well lol .

Undid ball joints etc.

Managed to loosen all 4 subframe bolts, all the clips broke lol. But then they got stuck to a point where it felt like they were going to break so I had to back off.

However, the subframe will not budge even with them all slackened.

I've undone the steering pinch bolt, and those support arms going to the wishbones, but still will not shift.

Is it stuck on at the rear with underseal?

monaco 172
there are two gearbox mounts, the battery tray, and a lower one near the end, the last one is mounted to the subframe.
If you say 'all three' i'm assuming you're talking about the tripod below the battery tray?
Yeh I've removed the tripod under the top mount, top mount/battery tray, lower mount which attaches to the subframe, and the dog bone mount with the black bracket which it attached to.

How much are they slackened by? I would get them all out personally. One of my rears seized and had to grind it off, cost like 13 odd quid for a new captive nut o_O

monaco 172
the subframe will need a bit of persuading to get it to drop.

Sound, will persuade in the morning lol.

How much are they slackened by? I would get them all out personally. One of my rears seized and had to grind it off, cost like 13 odd quid for a new captive nut o_O

Well they are all loose, box side almost completely out, but no movement whatsoever at the rear.

What nuts and bolts did you use? I'm thinking about just replacing the b******s anwyas incase I have to take the box out again.

Issue is I need the car for Wednesday lol

@hipwell the rear nut is 7703044201 the bolts were high tensile cap heads with thick washer, Im not sure of the length. Would be worthwile replacing them.

I used to work to deadlines on the clio as it was my only car! Made for a not so relaxing time when things went wrong :O

monaco 172
Got the bolts undone, easy when I realised a ring spanner would fit lol.

Anyway, the bracket which goes between the wishbones and the chassis has had to be grinded off as the bolt was knackered.

Will it be safe to drive without this until I can sort a new one?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Just done a control arm on an old avensis. Bloody hell. May aswell just grind everything to s**t. Old bolts are the worst!

Good luck mate