ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Hey guys,
Seen a lot of posts (especially recently) about wheel stud conversions failing and loosing a wheel on track, even after being torques up after each session etc.
Are some people unlucky or doing something wrong or are they still a safe thing to do? want to do mine for spacers and ease of wheel fitment/swapping.

Brucefil

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault sport Clio
Hey guys,
Seen a lot of posts (especially recently) about wheel stud conversions failing and loosing a wheel on track, even after being torques up after each session etc.
Are some people unlucky or doing something wrong or are they still a safe thing to do? want to do mine for spacers and ease of wheel fitment/swapping.
If you race and are constantly taking wheels on and off with wheel bolts I can garentee at some stage you will forget to tighten them and loose a wheel. And wheel bolts are an absolute pain in the arse

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Although not on track, but I've converted to studs for well over a year on my daily 182 with blasting and never had a problem. Probably done 10k at a guess.

I'm with James in the fact that they are just as safe as bolts.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
awesome thanks guys, just don't fancy loosing a wheel at the ring :smile:
Just noticed an influx of people loosing wheels, there was a post on Fb and everyone said "ah its the studs they always come loose" thought id check.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I’m sure like others have no issues, but me personally would stick to what your happy and confident with.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I have noticed my nuts 'loosening' off sometimes. I check the torque on them every so often and they often need a little tighten. I mean, they're not at the point of nearly falling off but it's a concern. Could spacers be having this effect on them?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I have noticed my nuts 'loosening' off sometimes. I check the torque on them every so often and they often need a little tighten. I mean, they're not at the point of nearly falling off but it's a concern. Could spacers be having this effect on them?

Depends on the spacers, what thickness are they and are they hubcentric?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Try them a bit more at 110 and see how that goes.

You've not got any paint or powdercoat in the bolt tapers have you?
Potentially. I'll give them a clean then tighten to 110. I carry a torque wrench with me now and just check them before/after any long journeys. Take 2 minutes so doesnt bother me

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Potentially. I'll give them a clean then tighten to 110. I carry a torque wrench with me now and just check them before/after any long journeys. Take 2 minutes so doesnt bother me

Then again, you have 2118's don't you?

They don't have any paint in the bolt tapers from factory :up:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Then again, you have 2118's don't you?

They don't have any paint in the bolt tapers from factory :up:
I believe they've been re-powerdercoated. They also had some horrible plasticote on them so there may be some left behind in there. Sorry OP for threadjacking

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I believe they've been re-powerdercoated. They also had some horrible plasticote on them so there may be some left behind in there. Sorry OP for threadjacking

99% of bolts coming loose from what i've seen has been down to paint on the tapers and on the mating face of the wheel.

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
Could go up to M14

Attachments

• 20171205_131008.jpg
    20171205_131008.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 243

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've ran PMS stud kits for years and never had issues. I've seen some customers with 2118's have *some* issues with generic hub-centric spacers though. They're normally due to a silly taper on the rear of the wheel Vs a larger chamfer on the spacer. This stops the wheel locating against the mating face properly and they eventually wobble themselves free.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'm running Watfields spacers. I'm not sure what sort of chamfer they're running. Can easily find out.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Easiest thing to try is remove the spacer from the car and place it against the rear of the wheel by hand. If it fits perfectly, you're ok and of there's an issue you'll easily see it.

BRT Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio Rally car
yes as abouve, tap the hubs to take M14 studs,changed to m14 after shearing m12 studs,changed to m14 years ago and never had any issues
need to make sure tap is straight

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
yes as abouve, tap the hubs to take M14 studs,changed to m14 after shearing m12 studs,changed to m14 years ago and never had any issues
need to make sure tap is straight

have you had to ease the bolt holes on any of the wheels you use as well?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
interesting, could easily enough machine wheels out provided enough meat though I guess.
make my Superleggera even lighter removing some metal.....flol!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I'm running Watfields spacers. I'm not sure what sort of chamfer they're running. Can easily find out.

Mine have been solid and not loosened since I put them on and torqued them up before CSF.