ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stellaris [PC/Console/Mac]

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone played Paradox's space strategy of Stellaris yet? It's been out a while (2016) and was initially plagued by issues, broken processes and general player frustrations.

Now it seems that they have got the measure of most of the problems and have produced several official DLCs for it. On top of that, the Steam Greenlight community is very active at creating mods for the game - cleverly marshaled by the game launcher to let you know if the mod works (or not) with the current version of the game that you're running.

At its heart, Stellaris is a complex, deep and expansive space strategy game. The real genius within the game however, is that you can play it as in-depth or as superficially as you like. On the surface, it appears that there's a bewildering array of options and much head-scratching could be had in clicking on options and various menus to see what does what. However, played at normal difficulty, the game does a great job of risk & reward, without hammering you to oblivion by making a small mistake when encountering your first pirate fleet.

Your race and core beliefs play a very strong part within the game. You can even create your own race from the ground up. I'm playing a middle-of-the-road human race that is the equivalent of a future United Nations. They are not all sweetness and light - but far from being interstellar tyrants either. As you would expect, research and technology plays a big part in the game - and again as a stroke of genius, the technology trees are not displayed. This makes you progress down paths of the unknown - after all, how would you ever know that researching Science A now - would lead to Science X and Y in the future? It plays out as you progress and is all the better for it.

I couldn't honestly say how good or bad the core game was due to the fact that I bought it with a couple of DLCs at the time. Since the recent Steam Summer Sale, I bought the remainder and the amount of content and game choices I have at my disposal is very expansive indeed. From ancient burial sites, to researching black holes, to warp-hole travel, pirates, intergalactic trade, mercenaries, friendly races, corporation tactics, slavery, space battles, orbital bombardment, star bases, colony expansions - it's all in here. I was originally attacked by a xenophobic neighbour who sued for peace once I proved myself not to be a walkover. I returned and pretty much laid waste to his/her/its? entire navy - claiming several systems of their's as my own, including their homeworld.

They still didn't back down - and after ordering a orbital bombardment from my fleet that destroyed about 30% of their homeworld, I sent my ground army in. I damaged a fair bit more, but they wiped out my invading troops. I have one solution left - total annihilation from space. I'll lay waste to their homeworld, even to the detriment of the resources it has, to simply prove a point. Not because it's right - but simply because I can. :devilish::alien:

If you fancy an RTS that is very immersive and probably quite different to your usual type of game - I'd highly recommend Stellaris. Unusually for an RTS also, it's available on both the PS4 and XBox One - as well as Mac and Linux.

Some screenshots from my game in it. Don't be put off from the perceived complexity - it looks a lot more complicated than it is!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I put 100s of hours into it on release, and then probably the same again when they had an enormous change. I basically play it in week long spurts every 6 months otherwise I lose my entire life

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I put 100s of hours into it on release, and then probably the same again when they had an enormous change. I basically play it in week long spurts every 6 months otherwise I lose my entire life
A crazy time-sink, isn't it? I think I'm about 30 hours in myself.

How are you in terms of DLC installed? I've noticed that with each addition, more menus and in-game events appear.

I certainly don't regret buying the full set anyway and already have plans for what kind of civilisation I'll have on the next play-through. A work colleague of mine picked the psychopathic machine race at the start that literally wants to annihilate everything it comes across. He said the levels of diplomacy felt into two options - fire across an insult or go to war. ;)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I tried being completely peaceful once and then I got a bit sick of being attacked so I went on the offensive and wiped out half the galaxy

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Things have come on in the last 300+ years of the Future U.N.

Been absolutely rinsed by an overlord faction, who basically just wanted my subjugation. Since giving into them, nothing much has changed - aside from the fact I want to go to war with two other nations, but as they are vassals of our 'overseer's' also - they won't let me do it.

Plenty of story-line twist and turns - several random space events that have either helped me or caused mild panic. All in all, it's going well.... so far.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
First I’ve seen of this and I’m intrigued! Can friends join your galaxy?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
First I’ve seen of this and I’m intrigued! Can friends join your galaxy?
Yes - but not straight away. It's a bit of an oddball if you compare it to the likes of the Civilization series and many others of that type. You can't choose teams to begin with - you're completely ignorant of everyone else in the void of space.

However, once you encounter each other - there are several options to hand, like trading agreements, research agreements, market options and the chance to create a federation - where you assist and protect each other from other races out there.

The other good thing in multiplayer is that you can all control the game speed. If you increase it - it does so for everyone. Likewise if you pause it or simply make it slower.

There are many options that depending upon your race/class type - are not an option to you. Like when using the megacorp DLC - I can't establish a branch office on the planets of friendly nations, due to my race not being a cut-throat capitalist society.