ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering rack play

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hello,

Yesterday when I went home I feel like a play in the steering rack. I am sure is from the steering rack as all the other steering components are new. The play feels like the steering wheel is disconnected from the steering rack, same in all angle positions, for about 1/2" of movement of the steering wheel. I've read about a screw that can adjust that play? Or that one is only for rack and pinion play?
There was something strange also, as today there was no play and everything runs fine.
Maybe I've got air in the pipes? I've replaced the fluid last year and the pump this year, the fluid is between min and max level.

I am thinking of the connection between the column and the rack cause this, but really don't know how to work there.

Thanks,
Radu

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
They are fine, no problem there. The play simply disappear after the car stops and strat again.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Well not alwasys, sometimes I have to let the car over night. Do you know how to check from inside the car the connection from the column to rack? I think it is possible.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
How long ago was the rack put on?
Are the UJ's in the same position relative to each other?
How did you bleed the rack?
If you lift both wheels off the ground....and wiggle them, do you feel any play?
One if the members had rubber removed from one of the UJ's and then had it welded.

Weird problem to have....

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
TBH I did not remove the rack since 2016 when I got the car. I've bleed the rack about 2 months ago. I think there might be a play with both wheels off the ground, I will check this weekend.
Which rubber? Can the problem be from the connection between the column and rack? Can I see that from inside the car?

Have you checked:

- ball joints (for any play)
- steering rack arms (both ends - the wheel end and the rack end - because Mk1s sometimes have play where the arm meets the rack)
- the power steering pump is operating correctly
- the wheel nuts are tight
- the wheel bearings do not have any play (jack it up and try to rock the top and bottom of the wheels in and out)

It is strange that it is inconsistent!

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Check the steering column is not worn out, they have a bush like the old valvers used to that can wear, somebody had the same issue a while ago

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Have you checked:

- ball joints (for any play)
- steering rack arms (both ends - the wheel end and the rack end - because Mk1s sometimes have play where the arm meets the rack)
- the power steering pump is operating correctly
- the wheel nuts are tight
- the wheel bearings do not have any play (jack it up and try to rock the top and bottom of the wheels in and out)

It is strange that it is inconsistent!
IMO yes, everything you said is right. Maybe the steering pump does not work corectly? Can this have a play only sometimes?
All the parts were replaced last year with Oe or Lemforder.
The first time got that play was on a 10 hour trip. Then on a 2 hour trip. And each time in the morning problem was solved.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I look over the column till enters the boot inside the car. Looks perfect, not play at all. How can that boot be removed?(picture)

If i move the steering wheel fast left right I can heat a knock like a worn steering rod.

The only problem as mentioned above is the inconsistancy.

The steering pump was bought as being in good condition, I have only changed the seal and assemble again. No problems in two months, no leaks or something wrong.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1560439787007902401203960145460.jpg
    1560439787007902401203960145460.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 183

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
All steering components are new? So you installed new track rods and track rod ends?

Did you use genuine Renault parts?

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I have used Genuine parts and Lemforder parts (ball joints). All the parts were used as daily for around 15k miles. I think this is not much.
Today I drive for around an hour, no issues at all.

monaco 172
The universal joint from rack to collum is behind a big rubber bung through the drivers side wheel arch, it's held together by a pinch bolt.

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
The universal joint from rack to collum is behind a big rubber bung through the drivers side wheel arch, it's held together by a pinch bolt.
So you can saw it only from the ouside. It is hard to access it? Or by removing the wheel arch and whell you can?
Thanks

monaco 172
So you can saw it only from the ouside. It is hard to access it? Or by removing the wheel arch and whell you can?
Thanks
Yep outside the car.

Remove driver's arch liner and youl see it.

Pain in the arse to reach, I had the subframe down and it was still awkward, probz easy on a ramp though but I was on the drive

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
I remove the rubber and check the bolt on the rack, it was fine.
When there is the play, I am sure that the rack itself does turn together with the steering wheel.
I could not feel any play on the rods or end rods.
After some hours the play is gone. But, it only happens when is very hot outside.
After some time when everythig cools down a little, normal driving.

A steering rack for 172 LHD is hard to find used...and new...is 500£.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Radu

Might need to be rebuilt, not sure though.

You could get a quick rack with epas, that would be a lot cheaper than 500 and is a great upgrade

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Might need to be rebuilt, not sure though.

You could get a quick rack with epas, that would be a lot cheaper than 500 and is a great upgrade
From what car can I get the epas rack?
I know the RS is quicker than Thalia/Symbol.
Thanks