ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stancing a clio. What size rims?

Listerine & Poledo
We sure have come along way...
Image 1 - Millionaires , engineers and playboys surrounding a developed racing car - Millions spent
Image 2 - A selection of students staring at an old french hatchback with wheels that dont fit. - More spent on the wheels than the car

PH2 172
Image 1 - Millionaires , engineers and playboys surrounding a developed racing car - Millions spent

I believe it`s a 1955 photograph of a young Stirling Moss standing next to the Mercedes Works W196, talking to the team manager.

The engine was a straight 8 of 2.5 litres, developed 257 bhp and featured direct fuel injection & desmodromic valve operation.

Not bad for 1955.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Get some APs mate, will lower loads but improve handling at the same time. It'll be stiff as hell but I can tell you're not bothered about that lol. You're going to need some RCAs for rear camber if you're going low on the back though. All in my wheels/tyres/coilovers/RCAs/adjustable top mounts cost me about £1,500.

Clio mk2 Volvo 940
Get some APs mate, will lower loads but improve handling at the same time. It'll be stiff as hell but I can tell you're not bothered about that lol. You're going to need some RCAs for rear camber if you're going low on the back though. All in my wheels/tyres/coilovers/RCAs/adjustable top mounts cost me about £1,500.

Not looking to spend more than 5-600 Sadly ?

img_280730893460463_zps7d20cd84-jpg.jpg

Clio mk2 Volvo 940
Let's not be driving people away from here just because they have a different perspective on certain things. Educate the fool instead?

Its not a fancy clio, Just a mk2 with 74 HP. I just wanna lover it and put some rims on, and maybe a oldschool roofcage ??‍♀️?

If you want to lower it and put some rims on then 40mm drop onto 7x15 or 7x16 rims in the region of ET40 with 195/50 15 or 195/45 16 will work fine on a sport, on a base model you may need to check clearance on the rear.

If you want to "stance" it, which is something different entirely, then you're unlikely to find advice on here other than please dont drive it on the road afterwards.

Clio mk2 Volvo 940
If you want to lower it and put some rims on then 40mm drop onto 7x15 or 7x16 rims in the region of ET40 with 195/50 15 or 195/45 16 will work fine on a sport, on a base model you may need to check clearance on the rear.

If you want to "stance" it, which is something different entirely, then you're unlikely to find advice on here other than please dont drive it on the road afterwards.

Im not gonna ruin it, just lower it till it looks good. What do you think about et30?
This one is not slammed and looks good
E1B6459F-82F8-426D-BB78-8631739497D6.jpeg

Im not gonna ruin it, just lower it till it looks good. What do you think about et30?
This one is not slammed and looks good View attachment 1402234

No, it looks awful because the wheels dont actually fit within the bounds of the arches and the tyres dont fit safely on the wheels either. Moreover, the handling will be affected by the change in offset, but moreso by the shape of the tyre

You can't just compare offset when you're looking at different wheels

Well you can, it's a physical quantity and within wheel sizes, which fit the car, it's entirely comparable. People bend the rules where they want to install extreme wheel widths in unsuitable arches and they optimise the offset to wedge them in.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Given you only want to spend £500, you're wasting your time thinking about wheels to get, just them alone with tyres (yes, even doing-it-on-the-cheap, stretch-tyres) is going to blow your budget-hole wide open.

Clio mk2 Volvo 940
Given you only want to spend £500, you're wasting your time thinking about wheels to get, just them alone with tyres (yes, even doing-it-on-the-cheap, stretch-tyres) is going to blow your budget-hole wide open.
Are some for sale with et30 for 300 ?

Listerine & Poledo
Are some for sale with et30 for 300 ?

OK, here's my sensible suggestion:

Get your suspension first. Even if it's the cheapest, nastiest set of ADJUSTABLE coilovers, just get them on.
THEN, and only then, start worrying about your wheels. You'll be able to borrow other size rims and tyres to test their fitment and there'll be a lot less guess work involved.

Seriously, you'll save yourself a lot of dicking about if you go at it that way around.

Clio mk3 dynamiqe
I’m gonna “stance” or at least lower my Clio mk2. What size rims looks good? Was thinking about 15 inch. Please post a pic if you have of a clio with 15-17 size wheels :)View attachment 1401986
Since you wanna lower it for as cheap as possible put a roof rack on for a Euro look and stick a fat b**ch on the roof then get sum 15 inch deep dish alloys ?

Clio mk2 Volvo 940
Since you wanna lower it for as cheap as possible put a roof rack on for a Euro look and stick a fat b**ch on the roof then get sum 15 inch deep dish alloys ?

Was thinking Roof rack and coils ? i have already figured out suspension. Just wanted to see wheels haha

Clio mk3 dynamiqe
Was thinking Roof rack and coils ? i have already figured out suspension. Just wanted to see wheels haha
Smaller wheels = lower ride height I messed up with 17 inch and coilovers but mine ain't touching the ground but I'm glad anyways cz getting over speed bumps is a nightmare don't go to low trust me looks really good but not practical at all will regret it also MOT can be funny

Clio mk2 Volvo 940
Smaller wheels = lower ride height I messed up with 17 inch and coilovers but mine ain't touching the ground but I'm glad anyways cz getting over speed bumps is a nightmare don't go to low trust me looks really good but not practical at all will regret it also MOT can be funny

Yeah I’m not gonna go crazy low, if it’s to low I will just adjust the coils

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Problem with smaller wheels is unless you really slam it you'll end up with a big arch gap.

For £500 I'd either get some wheels and lower it on springs, or just get a decent coilover kit and worry about the rest later.

Clio mk2 Volvo 940
Problem with smaller wheels is unless you really slam it you'll end up with a big arch gap.

For £500 I'd either get some wheels and lower it on springs, or just get a decent coilover kit and worry about the rest later.

Been looking at these 17”. Thinking about spending 3-400 on coils :)
9ADF7D6A-9CA8-40BB-8CDF-479DB9761C13.jpeg

Clio mk2 Volvo 940

If the ride height was much higher it wouldnt look tooo bad

Not looking to ride around and scraping on leaves, so probably won’t go as low as the pic. Just a quick photoshop :)

Clio mk2 Volvo 940
They are horrible. Look for some 15's with a decent dish to them. You'd have to drop it too much to make it look decent with 17's on and they look too big on a clio.
Not looking to keep the blue, Will repaint it. Kinda conflicted on wheel size :)