ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solve one problem, cause a bigger one ?

Mk5 Golf GTI
Finally got round to taking the air bag off today as a final check after checking everything else to see if I could work out why my cruise isn’t working.
The good news is I think I’ve found the problem, a snapped wire? I have more photos if needed? Anyone got any idea how to fix this or cost of repair?

The bad news is after reconnecting the battery and starting the car the light are now always on when the engine is running! I’m guessing I’ve just bumped a wire or connection and it’s shorting out? Anyone got any ideas?

Attachments

• FBAFB2F8-D2B0-444A-ABA1-9472A98C572B.jpeg
    FBAFB2F8-D2B0-444A-ABA1-9472A98C572B.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 205
  Mk5 Golf GTI
I need to have a proper look at everything... yeah headlights are always on when ignition is on, french electrics ?

Does anyone know if that CC wiring can be repaired or if I’ll need a new squib?

182 clio
I need to have a proper look at everything... yeah headlights are always on when ignition is on, french electrics ?

Does anyone know if that CC wiring can be repaired or if I’ll need a new squib?
have you stripped it back down to double check at the stalk?
have you tried disconnecting earth on Batt for few minutes to see if it resets?

Mk5 Golf GTI
I haven’t had chance to look at it again tonight, all I did was take the airbag off have a look at the wires for the cruise and then push it back on. I presume I’ve just moved a wire or connection and it’s caused it to touch an ignition live wire and therefore is causing the lights to come on when the ignition is on.

I’ll have a little play tomorrow and hopefully that fixes it. Anything more than that is probable out of my skill range I don’t wana be taking the wheel off etc. I’ll get a garage to look at it as it’s in for a service next week anyway

182 clio
I haven’t had chance to look at it again tonight, all I did was take the airbag off have a look at the wires for the cruise and then push it back on. I presume I’ve just moved a wire or connection and it’s caused it to touch an ignition live wire and therefore is causing the lights to come on when the ignition is on.

I’ll have a little play tomorrow and hopefully that fixes it. Anything more than that is probable out of my skill range I don’t wana be taking the wheel off etc. I’ll get a garage to look at it as it’s in for a service next week anyway
Removing wheel is simple just mark it before removing with the Bolt out that way you get it back on exactly the same way.
p.s. put the Bolt back in a few threads when pulling wheel off or you might end up hitting yourself with the wheel.

Mk5 Golf GTI
Managed to solve the lights problem.

Anyone got any idea if soldering the cruise wire will fix the issue? or is the only way I'm gonna be able to fix the cruise to buy a new Squib?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I would attempt to repair that. If it does not work, stick a used squib on.