ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Snapped bleed screws in Brembos (3/4 snapped)

Im really stuck now, I got a extraction tool set, drilled out the bore a bit more but it wont budge, I heated them up but I only have small hand held thing which its still pretty hot but not blazing. I was standing on the caliper and the clamp and it just loosens the clamp..

IMG_1194.JPG

dan's cast offs.
soak them in 50/50 acetone and atf for a couple of days, then drill them with a left handed drill bit, hopefully they will pick up and wind out. if not you can get a propper repair kit for them with a stainless insert for the nipple to sit in.

Will get that stuff right away though whats atf, transmission fluid? I have renault d2 oil thats the stuff? Do you mean just dunked in but make sure to not touch the seals?

dan's cast offs.
yeah, transmission fluid. doesn't matter if it gets on the seals. i just mix it and use it in a trigger spray bottle. give it a spray a couple of times a day for a couple of days.

When I first tried to undo the nipple and it snapped I looked into the sky hoping for jesus to say everything's going to be alright, then another snapped and the cursing was in full over drive

dan's cast offs.
That looks like a less stressful way of doing it. I would consider that but I want some speed bleeders eventually
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/stahlb...nFg6Y4mI46qxGUZ067kaAvUkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY FIVE POUND FOR FOUR BLEED NIPPLES.

i'll repeat that again...

that's over THIRTY ONE POUNDS EACH!!!!!!!

doesn't matter how you look at it no bleed nipple is worth anywhere near that price ?

I hate bleeding with a passion haha, I looked at the ap racing dry bleed system at first but that was near 600 quid ?

Also Im not going to be able to bleed my pedal box alone, the nipples would be worthwhile as the labour charge and drive would add up!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
That looks like a less stressful way of doing it. I would consider that but I want some speed bleeders eventually
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/stahlb...nFg6Y4mI46qxGUZ067kaAvUkEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

i'll repeat that again...

that's over THIRTY ONE POUNDS EACH!!!!!!!

doesn't matter how you look at it no bleed nipple is worth anywhere near that price ?

f**k paying £125!

Get these Goodridge ones instead for £12 each.

@JB21 Could do, havnt done an extraction before so its all unknown for me

I know what you mean and being aluminium you wouldn't want to knacker the calliper. There's a place you can send them of to and they'll extract them for around £20 each nipple, cant think of the place now, let me have a search.

@JB21 Thanks, but possibly 80 quid if the fourth is knackered and postage :O If something goes terribly wrong after the acetone Ill have to go to plan B

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Get that drill out boy haha.

Did two on my brother's Meg 250 calipers (which are the same size bleed nipple i think M10x1.0)

Didn't have any left hand drill bits, but if you do it'll be so easy. Think i went up to an 8mm bit and that thinned the sidewall of the nipple out enough that it practically fell out.

dan's cast offs.
normally find when they are buggered enough to snap the head when you do get it out it tends to bring the thread with it as well.

406 V6, Race Buggy
You can burn them out with battery acid but it takes a while - I had to do it with my Pug ones when the pad slider bolts were siezed in:

11220147_10153471208991151_5042284968401579590_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.jpg

@JamesBryan Yes mate, I used a 6.4, then an 8mm but it just made the hole bigger. The thread is 10mm so I dont want to go to 8.7mm. Bit lost now!

@PhillipM A bit past my skill level unfortunately. I wouldnt want to risk anything

406 V6, Race Buggy
It won't touch the alloy, just eat the steel nipple out, it takes about a day per nipple though even with power running through to speed it up (IIRC I used about 1 amp)

406 V6, Race Buggy
Are they? That seems like a pretty daft idea if they are, every brembo I've seen have been steel or brass.

406 V6, Race Buggy
You won't pick up the right spot for the start of the thread.

I'd either try to get a pick in there and fold the thin wall inwards if you can, or if not, maybe just drill it out and tap it to take one of the Wilwood 2-piece brake nipples (big brass fitting with steel nipple in the centre for bleeding) - they're only about 15 quid for a full set - then you can just put the brass piece in with thread sealant, and use the steel nipple to bleed. You'll obviously still have to helicoil back to 10x1 or similar though.

@dann2707 Thanks for the offer mate though Im many miles away on the south coast.

Did just luck out though.. 3/4 completely out, I tried the 8.7 bit and it snagged them. One of them got snapped but the thread stayed in, I think I could save it with a helicoil if I drill it out completely. The rest are fine though now, tested a bleed screw and they are all good.
IMG_1219[1].JPG

IMG_1223[1].JPG