ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Silver 182 - 172 cup spec

So after many years, the time was 'right' to get the car I had wanted for some while. I have owned a 1.2 and 1.6 mk2 clio and just liked the idea of the more sporty version. We went and picked up a standard FF 182 from an odd looking dealership in Oxford, it was basically a farm. If that didnt deter us from leaving there and then, the Portuguese salesman and his work colleague not speaking much english definitely should of. When we took the car in for a service shortly after buying it, a long list of problems were apparent. No front arb, needed discs and pads all around, a spring and a damper, a rear caliper (lol) and some other things. In that moment, standing in the garage, looking at an invoice where other things had been done without my go ahead, did I set out to be completely self sufficient as a diy mechanic. Although it took a garage to do my brakes and braided lines to really give me that resent, I opened up my boot at home and found 2 unopened cans of brake fluid, they had a picture of a car on them, and said "BRAKE FLUID", that wasnt clear enough for the mechanic so he used his own fluid and added that on to the bill.

Firstly, a rare picture of when the car was somewhat clean, fairly stock at that point. Using a dirty lens
IMG_4943.jpg

This is roughly in the correct order
After doing a basic service I fit a sabelt wheel and 16mm spacers up front
IMG_4961.JPG

20170814_174649.jpg

Vibra technics upper gearbox mount, powerflex black engine mount and black dogbone mount
20170822_143034.jpg

12540001.JPG

15520001.JPG

Glass table was just to rest things on :)
A more recent shot of the engine mount, I had gave the mount a spray and cleaned up the bolts and coated with acf-50
IMG_0115.jpg

Coolant change, crap pictures but that was grim, was definitely due
20170823_193431.jpg

20170823_184811.jpg

Catch can did loads

Black trim for gauges! I posted a thread on this but here it is again
4.JPG

IMG_4959.JPG

Ph1 horn stalk
20170814_172250.jpg

I had been running ds2500 on the standard calipers for a bit and circumstances allowed me to do the 4pot brembo conversion with ds1.11!
I rebuilt and painted them myself, all new seals and luckily only 1 piston needed to be changed

I went for just a gloss black finish that doesnt shine very much :/
300mm High carbons
IMG_5097.jpg

The best mod on this car by far. Unreal confidence and reliability, they squealed at first quite bad but once bedded in they hardly do it. They make a little noise once hot but its a nice addition as you know they are working well!

Although getting the wheels on and off is not fun, there have been some bashes and I forgot to put the spacers on once and as you can see the front is chipped

More with the stealth theme
IMG_5099.jpg

Would of been nice to know that belt was all faded like that...
IMG_5106.jpg

ph1 stalk wasnt auto cancelling
Also titanium bolts for wheel, cant see them properly in photos
IMG_0117.jpg

Reactions: Gus
This had been bugging for ages but I the n/s wouldnt budge
IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

Absolute animal, destroys everything in its path and pours smoke out of the socket after its done haha. Wouldnt of been able to do half the stuff without this, well it would of been 10x more energy and time..
IMG_0069.jpg

Each damper had a different spring :confused:
Well Its got some very fresh eibachs in now. @hsustyle
IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

Terrible
IMG_0066.jpg

I got halfway through and gave up ahhhhaha
IMG_0075.jpg

Very lightly done up after hand tightened
IMG_0098.jpg

Around the time I fitted a new injector as the car was like a diesel scooby
IMG_0063.jpg

This bolt wouldnt budge but that was no problem for the new makita
IMG_0099.jpg

New dampers. I took the shocks out 2x and spring as well, did the rear springs and some other bits and bobs, used the gun 4 days in a row and the 4ah battery lasted all that!
IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0112.jpg

I need to spray the others this is just silly. Not an easy job trying to get a good finish on them though

PMS bump steer adjustment
IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0142.jpg

There is some fouling on droop because of the camber Im running which has actually either bent the bolt or the bottom spacer as it wont come off. Ive just fitted them in the last few days or so, which brings everything up to date!

Things to do now
-Exhaust mounts
-New rear dampers
-Sort out the rod ends
-Tracking
-drive the thing!

Its difficult to enjoy the car when its limping about and wont stay on the road but its slowly getting there. I have wish list thats being completed progressively that ill write up in a bit.

Megane R26
This bolt wouldnt budge but that was no problem for the new makita
View attachment 1355000
New dampers. I took the shocks out 2x and spring as well, did the rear springs and some other bits and bobs, used the gun 4 days in a row and the 4ah battery lasted all that!
View attachment 1355001
View attachment 1355002 View attachment 1355003
I need to spray the others this is just silly. Not an easy job trying to get a good finish on them though

PMS bump steer adjustment
View attachment 1355004
View attachment 1355005 View attachment 1355006

There is some fouling on droop because of the camber Im running which has actually either bent the bolt or the bottom spacer as it wont come off. Ive just fitted them in the last few days or so, which brings everything up to date!

Things to do now
-Exhaust mounts
-New rear dampers
-Sort out the rod ends
-Tracking
-drive the thing!

Its difficult to enjoy the car when its limping about and wont stay on the road but its slowly getting there. I have wish list thats being completed progressively that ill write up in a bit.
Nice update, looking good! Let me know how you find the bump correction kit, pretty interested in this

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Nice update, looking good! Let me know how you find the bump correction kit, pretty interested in this

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I will write up in full once everything's set up better. So far though its made a lot of difference, toe out and -1.6 cam with spacers it was handling potholes/bumps real good

Current jobs to do

IMG_0157.jpg

Sprayed these in the shed and it was far too cold but I cant be bothered now so ACF and leave it
IMG_0158.jpg

ECP 50% off. Decided to get them for being so cheap but the plan is to use scenic rear hubs and the callipers which are on most of the renaults. They are the same for 197/megane/scenic??
IMG_0162.jpg

Abs delete internal lines. These are actually all the external lines! Ive got everything riveted down inside now, just need to plumb it and its done.
197 4 port master cylinder or just a generic 23.8 bore MC that Im gonna use
IMG_0160.jpg

The idea is to bolt that t piece just above the mounting hole for the abs cable then just run them where the original lines are. No more running gallons of fluid through or any abs kicking in to get things bled

Its running stock camber now and the rod ends are still fouling. Ive bought some spacers but I cant get the end out as its bent the bottom spacer so will have to come back to that. Im looking at Jap speed nissan tie ends instead as I think they fit. Rod end is m14 1.5 and upright bolt is m12 with a taper in. Might seem pointless but they are a good price and with the taper they should be more solid
https://www.japspeed.co.uk/nissan-steering-arm-ends.html

A while ago I started measuring some spacers for the throttle pedal to bring it closer and more inline to the brake pedal. Im going to continue this once the brake lines are fitted and also work on the steering wheel position which needs to be far closer than it is now, a quick release and a spacer probably wouldnt even do it but for cleanliness im going to go for a weld on quick release and sort out the knee room as well. The plan is to strip as much as the car without losing too much comfort or oem and make sure the road/track car line stays in the middle and not make it too agro

So the pms kit wasnt working on the stock dampers, they have too much droop regardless of camber it fouled badly. I had to take it to a garage to get it off because the spacers had been squashed and bent, wouldnt budge easily

I got this japspeed kit for an S15 which has the same taper and thread size, theres tons of movement now its great and looks pretty cool. Although some of the taper will have to be shaved off so theres more thread protrusion and it sits flush, but its solid as it is right now. Its not very tuneable like the pms one but thats easily sorted with more thinner spacers
https://www.japspeed.co.uk/nissan-steering-arm-ends.html

The sticker reflects mad colours as well :cool:
IMG_0174.jpg

Steering rack bushes - Really wanna get the steering as nice as possible, will put back on some camber as well to get that super car killer handling :smile:
IMG_0175.jpg

Really fortunate to now have closed gates and a small shed to work in. I just chill out when I work on the car and not worry about tools laying about or parts, a breath of fresh air. Ive been able to do so much more since its been put up
IMG_0192.jpg

Shes not looking very clean but performance wise its getting good
Though scraped the bumper taking it off as the washers were intact it sliped out my hand and slid under the car a bit, so pissed as its already scratched that just really made it worse. It wasnt the best looking clio to begin with and it didnt help that it got quite a few 'key' scratches a bit ago, they were more like penny scratches and the b******s seemed to target the roof more, I kept finding them weeks after I noticed the first one!! Think one of them lit a deodorant can on it as well?!
IMG_0190.jpg

Seat bungs out, much better now. Took the steering column surround out as well to get some more room, not that tall (5'9) but knees still need the room. Want to keep the car road friendly and not seem to bare so will see if I can just fit the plastic with the bottom shaved down or something, pretty new to fabricating and stuff so something Ill need to start figuring out
IMG_0193.jpg

Boot full of water
IMG_0198.jpg

Renault
IMG_0197.jpg

Nicely dripping on to a ground cable?
IMG_0199.jpg

Well found that now so no more titanic

Next clear day Im going to plumb the brake lines because after checking out the servo properly its clear that its purely just air in the system that didnt leave after 5L of fluid went through..

Its now on with a nyloc, this was a test just checking while the other one was stuck. Will get a proper picture of it soon
IMG_0183.jpg

Car looks so grim I resent taking pictures because they always look grubby. Will get there eventually

Spec so far
-Powerflex black dog bone bush
-Vibratechnics engine mount
-Brembos with ds1.11 and 300mm HC
-Eibach sportlines
-Japspeed bump steer
-Sabelt wheel
-Gauge trim, dash trim and seat belts, grey to black
-Camber bolts (to go in)

About to
-Abs delete
-Steering rack bushes

What Ive got planned next
-Headlight resto
-Possibly rear scenic discs and calipers (car seems to have odd rear calipers on right now) The non oem side disc is really rusted over mroe than the other
-Start painting parts and cleaning up
-Inner tie rods, theyve got life left but really wanna get the steering as fresh as possible
-Quick rack, this will be further down the line probably (hopefully not)
-Epas if I go down the quick rack route
-Weld on quick release
-better ergonomics, closer steering wheel, more room etc

Wish list, really want to make something out of this car and transform it into something special, I shouldnt of bought it but Im gonna make up for it
-Cup racer uprights
-PMS Roll centre
-Coilovers
-Wishbone strengthening
-Rear axle bearing kit PMS
-Light engine work, some 197 cams or something and remap
-Bucket seat, harness

Getting there... its been pretty tiring on the small drive and limiting but now thats all changed. Really enjoying working on the car now, things are much more relaxing. Sorry for the essay! Will get some decent pictures with the canon soon so the key scratches are shown in all their glory :wink:

When the cars in the air the left wheel spins faster than the right, right basically stops, I assume it’s the pistons not seated correctly? Brakes do pull a bit when foots down

Yeah the right stops quicker, when engine on it completely stops the left keeps moving. But it was pulling quite bad when braking hard, the right damper so happened to be pretty shot so that could definitely have an effect!
I just had a look and the disc wear is the same on both but more on the back of the disc as well, not sure if thats normal?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you ever get around to getting a quick rack, can you make me an offer for the OEM one off this?

I'm after getting one that I can get refurbed and then fitted to mine. It creaks and groans like a b*****d when the weather gets warm. Fine for now though.

If you ever get around to getting a quick rack, can you make me an offer for the OEM one off this?

I'm after getting one that I can get refurbed and then fitted to mine. It creaks and groans like a b*****d when the weather gets warm. Fine for now though.

I will do mate. Hopefully it wont be too far away but cant say exactly when. I would of kept it but Im gonna use the dci rack for it being solid mounted

When I bleed the brakes with the bias valve do I set it to fully open/as much to the rears as possible? Mine says
Motamec_Brake_Proportioning_Bias_Valve_Pressure_Adjustable_Knob_01_20.jpg

so I would turn it clockwise?

Fitted a quick release boss, wheels nice and close now
@Mbeau

IMG_5134.jpg

Pedal box out to see whats going on with the brake pedal travel

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

The actual servo is causing the dead zone but not sure if theres a way to fix it for now, i thought of having a block that pushes the pedal into the right position but probably best to get another servo

New steering rack bushes has made a big difference
IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

Spacers for lowering steering column, gonna grab some studs/longer bolts to go lower
IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Cars starting to feel nice, really good when things work the way they should!

Rears were well over due, I have other plans for the fronts so bought these separately
IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG

300lb springs, have been working on the roads okay, it doesnt actually feel vastly different than stock over slight bumps and that, but full stiff will send you flying about in your seat. Dont know how to lower them though :s

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Liking this! :smile:

Which Makita is that out of interest? I was looking at the DTW190Z but im not sure its man enough.

Edit: Just seen you posted it above, hard to read through each post with lots of pics :)