ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott's JDM Bugeye Spec C RA.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
Thought id put up a thread early about the next new car rather than owning it for 3 years like i did with the PH1. 😂

After owning my PH1 for 5 years ive been thinking about a change and tbh have been thinking about the PH1's replacement for about a year or so.
My two children will be 11 and 12 this year so fitting in the back of a Clio isn't the best for them, i also hate dirty foot prints on the mats. :blush:
Last year was a very tough year for my family, after loosing my wife's 32 year old brother in August to a brain tumor and then my mum passing away on Christmas eve to Alzheimer's that's another reason i decided to bite the bullet and do something about buying the next car, life can be far to short.

I wasn't sure what i wanted but it had to have boost, if i went down the Subaru route then i didn't want a UK because of rust. I have a big soft spot for a JDM STI classic RA but after talking to a few people i thought it was best for me to buy something new gen with the stronger 6 speed gearbox.
Now id of like the newer looking blob eye but my budget wouldn't stretch that far, well not enough to buy a low miles good example also trying to find the right car was becoming a bit of a task. The more i looked at the bugeye's the more i liked them, so my mind was set it had to be a blue or black bugeye JDM STI with under 50k.

Id fallen in love with this car. :hearteyes:
blabil5.jpg

I called [email protected] to re insure the Ph1 and after chatting with him about wanting a Impreza he said about the guys at Torque-GT who have a good name importing some really nice stuff.
I made the call to Tristan at Torque GT just to see what my money would get me and if my budget would get me what i wanted, Tristan was confident that he would be ale to find me something via direct import but it could take a few weeks or a few months to find the right car.
We went through the cost and the stages of importing and that's how things where left, now in an ideal world id of like to have sold the PH1 first but as im not willing to give it away i knew its the type of car im going to have to sit on for a while. The PH1 will be getting a wheels off clean and then driven to my in-laws home where it will stay until its sold.

A couple of weeks had passed since my talks with Tristan and as im in no rush to buy a bugeye i didn't bother chasing him up, however Tristan sent me a few emails with links to cars in Japan that could be bought. Some cars where way over my budget and some where classics which i didn't want but did seem to be bloody nice cars. :cool:
Over the course of the following weeks i received a few more emails with links to more cars but nothing took my fancy, a couple of weeks ago i got another email with Tristan saying they have been told of a very low miles very special Bugeye Spec C RA that might be a little over my budget but as its a rare car with low miles, he said its going to worth paying the extra as the value of these cars is starting to go up. :smile:

We spoke on the phone about the raised budget and what exactly a Spec C RA was as i didn't have a clue, now as the car will only be used as a toy the Spec C RA fitted the bill perfectly. Its a light weight, hardcore rally car for the road it has A/C but wind down windows which i think is cool. :cool:
But after seeing the 2 pictures of it in the auction i wasn't keen at all. Its white, doesn't have a spoiler and has a stupid looking roof pod thing which i hated.

The 2 pictures i first saw of the car.
16805835409_d032c5b33a_z.jpg
Spec C. by scottieraven, on Flickr

16992032345_b9b1c1cf5c_z.jpg
Spec C.. by scottieraven, on Flickr

After talking to others about the car and not finding another one for sale and seeing how rare they are i decided i wanted it, i knew i could get the pod removed and make my own stamp on the car. I didn't have a clue on the spec of the car but i was told that it had coilovers and an after market exhaust so i was buying the car blind and trusting Tristan with my hard earned cash. :fearscream:
I then received another set of pictures from outside the auction house but we still hadn't finalized just how much the car was going to cost but i was sure it was within the budget. :laughing:

16805532309_711a8e03f8_z.jpg
Spec C RA by scottieraven, on Flickr

16804274740_cdb781969d_z.jpg
Spec C RA.. by scottieraven, on Flickr

16371628333_f2dca3d418_z.jpg
Spec C RA. by scottieraven, on Flickr

16990356932_1df3d21fcd_z.jpg
Spec C RA.... by scottieraven, on Flickr

The next email proper pissed me off, Torque GT had won the car but it was well over my budget so after the weeks of hype and building my hopes up it looked like the end for me. Gutted. :angry::angry:
I decided to see what the new day brought and slept on it, after a long chat with the better half and saying that ill just buy a classic she said thats not what you want and that you wont be happy. She had a point. :blush:

I was then sent another very apologetic email from Tristan explaining why it had gone over budget and they are also shocked but it was because of the exchange rate between winning and paying for the car.
Within the email there was a link to the car live on there web site for sale with its full spec list, so yesterday the deal was done and a big deposit was sent.

Pictures of the car on Torque GT web site.

17010979585_38a4e14e4f_z.jpg
our_17651_672da1b5-ef9a-4173-9eba-a687318afa91-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16823493280_02d84280ee_z.jpg
our_17651_91750b82-addb-4231-9d3c-b576a065354b-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

17010121351_f54ccd89f4_z.jpg
our_17651_b91fb523-22df-4eae-8f2b-4d415440156f-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16985003356_6bce6caac8_z.jpg
our_17651_862e621b-e9f4-4a8b-bb5c-0aceadb9da01-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16823492780_861050edec_z.jpg
our_17651_c58225ac-02e6-4b82-b841-77afc1cef837-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16823472070_f35ee5f839_z.jpg
our_17651_6f400901-b218-41cd-ad45-36a38bf67f81-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16823472160_5db335634f_z.jpg
our_17651_8f37b4a1-da6b-41a8-a369-aad956af615a-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

17010979835_63cd1d4ab3_z.jpg
our_17651_1dde15b1-1194-49ae-b379-cf847b4f160b-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

17010098471_99ab12458b_z.jpg
our_17651_1c6074b9-3b5c-4957-b31d-7d00a77e2c7b-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16803602707_26710fedb4_z.jpg
our_17651_be37569e-90d9-4480-9a30-a227434cbdc4-590x443 by scottieraven, on Flickr

Spec list of the car.
  • Rare RA Spec C model
  • Highly sought after
  • OZ alloys
  • BREMBO brakes
  • Lightened flywheel
  • TEIN coilovers
  • TEIN EDFC This is electronic controlled damping from inside the car
  • CUSCO under chassis brace
  • CUSCO front and rear LSD
  • Fujitsubo exhaust system
  • HKS front pipe
  • SYMS manifold
  • HKS Valcon
  • HKS EVC
  • DEFI STI gauges with link up

The car wont be leaving Japan until the 14th of April and wont land in the UK until the 24th of May ish, then its got to go through customs, be SVA etc so im looking at the 1st to 2nd week in June for collection. If my PH1 sells in this time then that will be another bonus, if not then Meh not a problem.
Ive asked Tristan not to clean or to wax oil the underside of the car as its something ill do, plans for the car once i get it. Nothing im skint, but id like to get the wheel geo checked and get it on a rolling road to check its fueling and boost is all ok.

Ill enjoy cleaning it and removing the STI stickers that are stuck all over it, ill be ordering the correct sticker set for the bottom of the front doors and the boot lid.

top.jpg

McGherkin

ClioSport Club Member
IN.

Please tell me you're going to put the JDM headlights on it? (as in the first pic)

Other than that, I can't wait to see what you're going to do with it!

Awesome mate, very very jealous!

Always hear great things of TorqueGT too! Is the Ph1 sold yet? I bet you'll be sad to see it go, but I'm more excited about this, as the Ph1 I'd say is pretty much finished, where as there's something to read potentially with this one :).

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys for the comments, i knew that it being spoiler less would have mixed feelings.
If the car was just a WRX then putting a spoiler on it wouldn't be a problem and it would be something id do straight away, with it being a Spec C RA which didn't come with a spoiler then this car won't be getting one. Or will it be getting the prodrive/JDM lights, i know sorry.

@Danny_172 i have no idea bud, sorry but it does have a electronic boost controller. My daily is a 75hp combo van which ive driven for 5 years im sure this will be/feel quick enough even if its running standard power. If it is then i might look into getting a bit more, after talking to Frayz 350bhp will be plenty on the road with the Spec C RA being 90kg lighter than an STI

I saw this on their site too! Stunning car mate.

Torque GT were amazing with me, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Also did a VERY good job of undersealing the bottom too, so maybe let them do it? It's all included in the price.

Careful on the way home with the tyres, I had real bad wheel wobble. Japanese aren't great with their tyres. Found out they had bulges on the faces, lol!!!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome mate, very very jealous!

Always hear great things of TorqueGT too! Is the Ph1 sold yet? I bet you'll be sad to see it go, but I'm more excited about this, as the Ph1 I'd say is pretty much finished, where as there's something to read potentially with this one :smile:.
Thank you mate, no ive still got the PH1 and yes it will be a sad day as ive put alot of effort and money into the car over the last 5 years. As you say its come to a point that unless i wanted to invest another few £K into the car like a diff and 4 pots then the project was finished.
I wasnt willing to throw more money at the car so my mind was made up to sell it and move onto something else, the Spec C fitted the bill perfect. :smile:

I like them with lip spoilers.
lipspoiler6.jpg

lipspoiler7.jpg
Dave thanks bud, i really like that and if its something that will just stick to the boot lid then i might look into buying it. :up:
I like the standard wheels to, ill see if i can find a set on ebay if there not to expensive.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
I saw this on their site too! Stunning car mate.

Torque GT were amazing with me, I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Also did a VERY good job of undersealing the bottom too, so maybe let them do it? It's all included in the price.

Careful on the way home with the tyres, I had real bad wheel wobble. Japanese aren't great with their tyres. Found out they had bulges on the faces, lol!!!
Hey bud, ive read your thread and was going to PM you. Thanks for the comment.

My biggest fear is that they cover everything in underseal which i don't want. Ill remove bits and bobs and mask the main bits up, ill also be wax oiling the chassic rails, rear wheel arches and inside o the doors.

No worries! Looks like an absolute minter mate. You'll be taken back by how clean they are when you see it.

They've done a great job on the underneath of mine. Seems perfect tbh. Maybe get on some forums and ask other customers too? They do tons of cars so they really know what they're doing. They received over 30 cars last December!

What I would say is have a look at their stock when you pick it up. My word...

McGherkin

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys for the comments, i knew that it being spoiler less would have mixed feelings.
If the car was just a WRX then putting a spoiler on it wouldn't be a problem and it would be something id do straight away, with it being a Spec C RA which didn't come with a spoiler then this car won't be getting one. Or will it be getting the prodrive/JDM lights, i know sorry.
Your Phase 1 didn't come with Bilstein B14s either ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
So a bit more info about a Spec C RA for those that are interested.

1st up my car has only covered 39k

STi RA
The RA is again the vehicle of choice for conversion to a rally car and only comes in a white 4 door bodyshell. It is lighter (30-50kg) and makes do without some of the frills of the standard STi model such as electric windows, air conditioning, central locking, incar entertainment, rear wash/wipe etc. They feature harder suspension, and a 13:1 quick steering rack compared to 15:1 of the standard. The trademark RA rally style roof vent is there as usual.

There are two versions available, one with the same differentials as the STi, and the other features a mechanical rear plus an adjustable center differential. This version also loses the HID lights, Bembo brakes, ABS and 17in wheels but is 20kg lighter than the fully equipped RA which itself is 30kg lighter than the standard STi. Unlike previous RA, the New Age RA has the same gear box ratios as the standard STi.

STi RA spec C

STiRAspecC17.jpg

The STi RA Spec. C was released for MY2002. 90kg lighter than the standard STi, the interior looses incar entertainment, airbag and aircon as usual. The version on 17in wheels comes with BBS alloys, but note the version of the RA on 16in *steel* wheels (and non Brembo brakes)! Adjustable diff as per previous RA only comes on the 16in model, the 17in getting ABS instead. Standard RA rally roof vent. 50 litre petrol tank. No HID headlights either.

STiRAspecC16a.jpg

A ball bearing turbo, revised ECU and different cam shafts saw the Spec. C engine power output remain at 280PS but torque increase to 384Nm. As well as an engine oil cooler the Spec. C also features an oil cooler for the transmission oil!

The Spec. C features thinner body panels and thinner glass to increase the power to weight ratio. Trim from inside the car is removed, with the boot having no deadening material at all. A lightweight bumper beam is also employed to reduce weight but increase rigidity.

TheEvilGiraffe

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. Interested to see this IRL but will be a while haha !

Guess you'll be spending some time with @frayz while he wears his FrayzEngineering hat :cool: He's installed a few of those catflap type roof vent things.

£100 quid mate, it does say it needs to be bonded on but i'm sure you could come up with a non permanent way of sticking it on.
Velcro :grin:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
Nice! However I would of refused to pay anymore than the budget you gave them, poor show by them, they should of covered the extra expense IMO. Anyway, awesome purchase, bar the roof pod. I take it the roof flap is still underneath it? Can't wait to see you put your stamp on it. You will love it!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome

For me Just needs the headlights, then leave it be externally.

What ££ roughly would something like this go for, I really like the bug/blob shape, and the back to basics the spec c gives

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. Interested to see this IRL but will be a while haha !

Guess you'll be spending some time with @frayz while he wears his FrayzEngineering hat :cool: He's installed a few of those catflap type roof vent things.

Velcro :grin:
Yep i spent quite some time on the phone to him, great chap and very helpful.
I don't mind the boot spoiler/lip being glued onto the boot lid, its drilling holes in to the boot lid that bothers me.

Thanks bud, June can't come soon enough. :smile:

Nice! However I would of refused to pay anymore than the budget you gave them, poor show by them, they should of covered the extra expense IMO. Anyway, awesome purchase, bar the roof pod. I take it the roof flap is still underneath it? Can't wait to see you put your stamp on it. You will love it!!
Cheers Jamie, im looking forward to driving it at least now i have enough time to start saving for fuel. 😂
I wish i could have mate, i gave them a budget and this came up over budget. I either bought it or i didn't, it was my choice.
I hope the roof flap is still under the pod, the only pictures ive seen is the ones that i have posted mate. Im sure ill find out once the car is in the hands of Torque GT. :smiley:

I like it and think it's cool. But.. I don't think I would have it over something like a focus rs.

Regardless, I'm sure your do an amazing job with it.
Thanks for the comment mate, the only FRS i liked was £11k and that car was in Ireland. It was a very low miles car in mint condition, ive just had a look on PH and mint ones are making over £10k which is over my budget.
Someone else will come along and say i should have bought an M3 no doubt, i wanted a Bugeye and i ended up with this Spec C RA. :smiley:

I didn't want a rusty car and im sure that a 12 year old Ford will rust, also find me another Bugeye Spec C RA for sale. :cool:

Scott; that is fantastic; awesome looking Scooby glad you managed to bag a special edition. Only spoiler i like on these is this one which i think came as standard on the Blob Spec C.

top01.jpg

Just noticed the roof scoop; do the Spec C models come with that little flap in the roof which you can open ? I know the S202 has that and the other JDM special editions which followed.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
Scott; that is fantastic; awesome looking Scooby glad you managed to bag a special edition. Only spoiler i like on these is this one which i think came as standard on the Blob Spec C.

top01.jpg

Just noticed the roof scoop; do the Spec C models come with that little flap in the roof which you can open ? I know the S202 has that and the other JDM special editions which followed.
Yes mate it has the roof flap under the pod. Oh and my mirrors should be black which i will be getting done once i get the car.

You'll see the light (pun intended) one day :wink:

Dear lord do not put the above spoiler on it though.
Haha, i do like them mate but i think its the wrong thing to do to this car, don't worry that spoiler wont be going onto my car.
As Adam as said it is a standard thing on a S202 though.

I like it Scott. I love quirky rare cars, it's one of the reasons I loved the Frp, felt special on every drive! I sadly had to use mine every day and the harshness ruined things a bit for me. My next one will be a dry/ weekend only car.

It does look so weird without a spoiler, it's like Scooby heritage with a bench on the back of it, the people who are in the know will think it's very cool that you've stuck to your guns guys and kept a very rare car standard.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
I like it Scott. I love quirky rare cars, it's one of the reasons I loved the Frp, felt special on every drive! I sadly had to use mine every day and the harshness ruined things a bit for me. My next one will be a dry/ weekend only car.

It does look so weird without a spoiler, it's like Scooby heritage with a bench on the back of it, the people who are in the know will think it's very cool that you've stuck to your guns guys and kept a very rare car standard.
Thanks Gally, you have summed things up perfect mate. :up:
Its like a PH1 a bit i guess, years ago people loved the PH2 but now there's alot of people who love the PH1s more.

Im 40 this year so i take cars for what they are, ill only do about 3k per year so everytime i drive it it should feel special just like my PH1 does. :cool:

It makes me grin that most people won't know what it is, it has an oil cooler for the gearbox oil ffs. 😂

Very nice mate! I'm not Subaru geek, but only the other day my mate (who is) was saying how sought after and rare these versions are. There was a stunning hawk eye spec C for sale on piston heads same spec as yours pretty much! Either way a top buy mate! I personally think it looks fantastic without the spoiler! It has a really mean motorsport look without even trying!