ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's 220 Trophy

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Got it home this evening, and I'm over the moon!

Only driven about 50 miles, but so far I'm really impressed. The gearbox is certainly going to take some getting used to, but there's a very capable car out of the box and I can't wait to get it out on track!

It's 17 plate car, and I'm the first owner as it was previously a Renault UK demonstrator with 3200 miles on the clock.

Options:

- Liquid Yellow
- Akrapovic Exhaust
- Full Leather and Heated Front Seats
- RS Monitor

The only thing it doesn't have is the Bose audio, which is shame but it was the only option that I was willing to do without.

So for the moment I'm just going to enjoy the car, and get as much time as possible behind the wheel.

I will also look into getting some quotes for a detailer to give the paintwork some love! Ceramic coating perhaps?

It's good to be back in a Clio albeit a very different one from my old Trophy!

I'll try and get some better photos, these crappy phone ones will have to do...
DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0085.JPG
DSC_0086.JPG
DSC_0087.JPG
DSC_0088.JPG
DSC_0089.JPG

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Look forward to see what you do with this one, I guess mods are on the cards whilst also keeping the warranty in tact?

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
My boy! Looks great mate. Didn't you get on with the r26?
Loved the Megane Dan, and it was a cracking car.

But after all the grief I had with my Impreza and seeing a few issues other people had faced with modifying their own Megane's it put me off doing anything else to mine.
Look forward to see what you do with this one, I guess mods are on the cards whilst also keeping the warranty in tact?
Yes mate that's the plan. Anything I do will have to be reversible, and fairly simple.

First on the cards is an ITG Induction Kit to give the engine a little more character!
Swap test drives tomorrow?
I'll drop you a message in the morning bud!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great.

Reckon the auto is a good move?
Cheers bud,

I need more miles with the car to be able to give a more accurate review, but in all honesty from what I've experienced so far.

I don't understand why the gearbox gets so much hate when the car has been reviewed from the likes of EVO, Autocar etc.

I get that it's not going to be for everyone, even myself prior to a test drive was very apprehensive, but I was blown away and in the very small amount of time I've driven the car so far that opinion has only been reinforced.

When the car is in 'Race' mode its like a completely different animal. Then if you hit a load of traffic or just want to calm down. Put it into auto and 'sport' mode, and just relax!

From what I can tell so far this car gives you the best of both worlds, and has a real Jekyll and Hyde character.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Nicely done Rob, I look forward to seeing it up close at a meet sometime.

If you're after any recommendations I'd suggest getting in touch with Detail My Car for a quote. They're based at New Greenham Park on the Basingstoke side of Newbury, and the quality of work they deliver is really impressive. Check out their Facebook page to get a taste of the kind of cars they work on, the products they use and the usual array of before, during and after photos.

If the LY has been forecourt sponge-washed for a year it might need a fair amount of correction but to have it gleaning and perfect for the summer would be a special thing!

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member

If you're after any recommendations I'd suggest getting in touch with Detail My Car for a quote. They're based at New Greenham Park on the Basingstoke side of Newbury, and the quality of work they deliver is really impressive. Check out their Facebook page to get a taste of the kind of cars they work on, the products they use and the usual array of before, during and after photos.

If the LY has been forecourt sponge-washed for a year it might need a fair amount of correction but to have it gleaning and perfect for the summer would be a special thing!
Thanks for the recommendation Tim!

I've heard of them, and also another place in Basingstoke called 'TK Detailing' which I've seen his work first hand, and was very impressed.

I'm a keen detailer, but my skills compared to a professional are basic! Like you mentioned, I just want to give this paint the best possible start.

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)

Is it a guy called nick who owns that company?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers bud,

I need more miles with the car to be able to give a more accurate review, but in all honesty from what I've experienced so far.

I don't understand why the gearbox gets so much hate when the car has been reviewed from the likes of EVO, Autocar etc.

I get that it's not going to be for everyone, even myself prior to a test drive was very apprehensive, but I was blown away and in the very small amount of time I've driven the car so far that opinion has only been reinforced.

When the car is in 'Race' mode its like a completely different animal. Then if you hit a load of traffic or just want to calm down. Put it into auto and 'sport' mode, and just relax!

From what I can tell so far this car gives you the best of both worlds, and has a real Jekyll and Hyde character.

Tbh Rob i would guesstimate people who don’t like them haven’t driven one. Me included would make the ‘assumption’ being auto doesn’t work that well in a small hot hatch. The more I read on them the more it’s apparent they do. :)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the Rb, wasnt through him though. Old couple bought it and i got it from them.

They used his pics in the advert as i recognise the workshop. He was a member on here too and i spoke to him after buying the car, he seemed a nice chap tbh.

The old couple did comment saying Nick even took the wheels off to clean it lol.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
These have grown on me massively over the past few years. Auto or not, in Race mode the changes looks almost instantaneous.
It really is, I can't wait to see what it's like out on track!
Looks ace mate. Great purchase.
Thanks bud, I'm really pleased!
Looks great. Really like the new style DRL’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers Chris, I'm a big fan of the face lift front bumper. When the dipped beams are on the RS lower lamps are illuminated constantly, and get even brighter if switched to front fogs.

The main DRL's are in the headlamp themselves.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several

A lot of what motoring hacks is b****cks to be honest. And I say that as someone who works in the business. The FK2 Civic Type-R was rubbish compared to the FK8 because it didn't have independent rear suspension, while the Meg RS and Fiesta ST are some of the best hot hatches ever, even though they have a twist beam. They rant about how awful turbo lag is, but then complain when manufacturers make their cars feel flat and linear.

A lot of the time the narrative they're trying to create is more important than the facts. It's not as uncommon as you would think for them to have all-but written the review before they have even driven the car. Some of them are clueless to be honest.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good Rob [emoji106]. I'm. Surprised there aren't more of these around, I've only seen a handful on the road and they are what nearly 5 years old now? It's a great car, enjoy it.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good Rob [emoji106]. I'm. Surprised there aren't more of these around, I've only seen a handful on the road and they are what nearly 5 years old now? It's a great car, enjoy it.
Thanks mate, and your right I could easily count on one, possibly two hands how many MK4 RS Clio's I've seen since launch.

Compared to the Fiesta ST which are really common place. Maybe it's just that gearbox again that puts many people off.

Little update:

I phoned RS Tuning this morning and ordered an ITG Induction Kit...

It's started already!

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
It's not the gearbox that puts people off, it's the early magazine reviews that slated it. Yeah it's different, no its not as involving as a manual if you like to heel and toe and all that bolloks, yes it's 1000% better sat in traffic and even in its earliest guise it's faster than shifting yourself. But the magazines said it was s**t and people just took it as gospel and didn't bother to make their own minds up. I'm glad it's done well in other countries and that those who bothered to try it here like it and bought one.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
It's not the gearbox that puts people off, it's the early magazine reviews that slated it. Yeah it's different, no its not as involving as a manual if you like to heel and toe and all that bolloks, yes it's 1000% better sat in traffic and even in its earliest guise it's faster than shifting yourself. But the magazines said it was s**t and people just took it as gospel and didn't bother to make their own minds up. I'm glad it's done well in other countries and that those who bothered to try it here like it and bought one.
You coming to CSF this year bud?

You're more than welcome to come out on track with me!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Another mk4 owner :smile: they seem to slowly be winning people over, although if I recall the mk3 also needed some time to convince on here.
We’ve got the same spec but I went for the BOSE and normal seats (not a fan of leather in general and convinced myself unheatted seats are lighter :tongueclosed:)
The chassis is brilliant, I’ve had the back out a few times coming into corners. Only negative I could pull so far is the MPG which is floating around 29 on average. It’s suprisignly fast, I had a play with some 718 Caymans yesterday and just about managed to stay with them, crazy considering they are twice the price.

Last edited:

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Nice purchase, looking forward to seeing it soon.

Not sure what you mean about having issues modifying Meganes though! 😂
Thanks Tim!

It wasn't just the Megane, I'm still put off by big projects because of the Impreza.

Then again I can't really compare an early 90's car to one less than a year!
Another mk4 owner [emoji2] they seem to slowly be winning people over, although if I recall the mk3 also needed some time to convince on here.
We’ve got the same spec but I went for the BOSE and normal seats (not a fan of leather in general and convinced myself unheatted seats are lighter :tongueclosed:)
The chassis is brilliant, I’ve had the back out a few times coming into corners. Only negative I could pull so far is the MPG which is floating around 29 on average. It’s suprisignly fast, I had a play with some 718 Caymans yesterday and just about managed to stay with them, crazy considering they are twice the price.
Cheers bud,

I know what you mean about the chassis. Some 'spirited driving' on the right roads has certainly brought a smile to me face!

I can't wait to get the car out on track to really see what it can do.

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Productive day!

Helped my mate Kris fit a set of H&R lowering springs to his Focus ST, along with new lower ball joints and Powerflex bushes for the front lower arms.

@loggyboy also dropped by with his M3 to bleed his clutch, and take a few photos.

As for me and the Trophy I fitted an ITG Induction Kit which I ordered from RS Tuning earlier in the week.

Was a fairly straightforward installation, which requires a new battery tray to allow the larger enclosed intake.

It certainly sounds the part, as for anything else I will have to wait until after a session with a mapper, but that won't be for a while yet!

I also got rid of the 'busy' Fish Brothers registration plates in favour for some nice plain replacements.

Whilst I was in the area I replaced the standard registration plate lamp bulbs with some Philips LED bulbs to tie in with the rear LED lamps.

An obligatory CS sticker was also applied to the rear window, now I'm finally back in a Clio it felt like the right thing to do!

Finally earlier in the week I visited TK Detailing and have booked the Trophy in for a 2 day correction detail on the 18th of April. Cannot wait to see the finished results, which of course I will share with you all!

DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0096.JPG
DSC_0091.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG
DSC_0092.JPG