ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Ive been thinking of doing this for a while now,of sorting a Road Trip or Tour for either something over here in the UK or doing a Le Mans trip!
Im looking to do this for next year as this will give us plenty of time to arrange,sort out,save money,time off work etc.
Theres not much information at the moment on dates,where to go etc as i thought this could be something we could all talk about on this thread as we have plenty of time.
But obs things we need to talk about,When,Where,how long for and if to do Hotels or camping.I would prefer camping as some much cheaper fun!

So Where?...Wales,Lake District,Scotland or south coast then theres Le Mans of which i have a link down below which gives people and idea of camping there and whats there to do,it seems like a cheap event to do inc a Ferry crossing roughly its £209 each.

Im not just aiming this at the South East members but just thought its a good starting point as we have reg meets and can get together to talk more easily.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Always wanted to go to Le Mans so would be interested in this or a road trip to Wales/Lake District/Scotland etc. is their a link for the Le Mans event details as would be interested even if it doesn't get organised :smile:

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Always wanted to go to Le Mans so would be interested in this or a road trip to Wales/Lake District/Scotland etc. is their a link for the Le Mans event details as would be interested even if it doesn't get organised :smile:

Well thats you and me so far mate haha!.

Yeah i have a link,i thought i put it on the first thread.

https://lemansrace.com/accommodation/public-on-circuit-campsites-at-le-mans-24-hours/

Im sure there will be other sites for this but this was the first decent one i came across.

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Yeah mate,good value i would say & prob a few tanks of petrol.Defo worth looking into @mintno1

I reckon Le Mans was roughly 4 hours from the chunnel when we drove past it last year although not on many interesting roads, the only other cost would be the tolls on some of the roads although you could probably avoid some would just make the journey longer, no bad thing if the roads are good :up:

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah mate thats the idea,off of motorways if we can and go the scenic routes even if it does take longer,will be more fun and interesting.Even if its not to Le Mans and just somewhere in the UK.

Could even try Ireland,Isle of Man?.

@mintno1

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Both sound good, always wanted to go to Isle of Man and that road in Scotland sounds awesome, especially over the mountains with the possibility of snow :smile:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Let mans sounds like a good plan. As it's one of the world's most famous races and it's within driving distance it would be rude not to go once in a car lovers life! We've got a lot of holidays booked this year so something cheap next year sounds good. I'll send the wife n kids away with her parents in the caravan!

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that is a point @Photomattbrown could do the secnic route on the way back if going to Le Mans.

Le Mans is defo on the cards next year even if not with a road trip.

Is it worth keeping this thread in this section or moving so other people might see it?

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Yeah that is a point @Photomattbrown could do the secnic route on the way back if going to Le Mans.
Le Mans is defo on the cards next year even if not with a road trip.
Is it worth keeping this thread in this section or moving so other people might see it?

Might be worth moving, if we did end up going to Scotland/Ireland/Wales etc. their might be members from there that could meet us somewhere on the road trip and join in or not whatever they fancied?

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Le Mans is the one to do, all easily booked, Brian @ 1st Tickets will sort you out with camping and entry tickets, ferry is up to you, we’ve always done Dover - Calais but last year went from Portsmouth to Le Havre and then came home Calais - Dover. Much better drive from Le Havre, we did half distance on the motorway and then took the country lanes, it was a great drive.

All in all, everything included you’re looking at £500/£600 all in, petrol, food, ferries the lot

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I reckon Le Mans was roughly 4 hours from the chunnel when we drove past it last year although not on many interesting roads, the only other cost would be the tolls on some of the roads although you could probably avoid some would just make the journey longer, no bad thing if the roads are good :up:

There are some amazing routes down to Le Mans from Calais, they take longer but so much more interesting. Plus if you go on the Thursday or Friday you'll be in for a treat of some lovely cars. I have my route saved somewhere from when I went last year I'll post it up tonight or tomorrow.

Could even try Ireland,Isle of Man?.@mintno1

I'm off to Isle of Mann in Mid March 2018 for a friends stag do for a road trip type holiday in the Clio. I'll report back to let you know how it goes.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
So looks like Isle of Man could be a good option? @a17vts

Isle of Man was great. Its a long drive to the port but well worth it.

I left home on Friday morning, 6am and our crossing was at 1.30pm and IIRC we arrived at Douglas at around 5pm (the ferry is much longer than people expect) and we then came home early Sunday morning.

For our group of mates this was enough time but if you were keen on getting some really good pics etc an extra day would be great.

The ferry crossing can be pretty choppy also, I had travel sickness tables prior to sailing and still felt like crap but others were throwing up!

Considering it was snowing here and my insta was full of his sunny landscape pics then yeah that looks like a good option:tearsofjoy:

I think we were lucky with the weather, but A guy I was chatting to out there said the weather changes so quickly its just pot luck!

I'll write a more details write up when I get some free time!

But in short its a great place to visit.

I've got loads of pics on my Instagram account @R29TJR

Tom

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Will keep an eye in here for if anything comes of a Scotland trip. I'd be up for joining on at some point if it happens!

That road up Glenshee you linked is incredible btw! And there's plenty roads like it.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Morning All,

I think I mentioned above that I've done a couple of road trips. I used a website https://www.myrouteapp.com/routelab which I found invaluable. For each trip I've spent hours planning the route using this website and then you can simply upload the route to a stanav. This allows you to enjoy the days driving without the worry of getting lost etc.

Below is my 2016 road trip, hopefully in order:

day 1.JPGday 2.JPGday 3.JPGday 4.JPGday 5.JPGday 6.1.JPGday 6.2.JPGday 7.JPG

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
In summary the trip went as follows:

Day 1 - Home to Lake Geneva
Day 2 - Lake Geneva to Avigiliana (Turin)
Day 3 - Avigliana to Monte Carlo
Day 4 - Monte Carlo to Maranello (via Pisa)
Day 5 - Maranello to Lake Como
Day 7 - Lake Como to Davos
Day 8 - Davos to Andermatt
Day 9 - Andermatt to Baden Baden
Day 10 - Baden Baden to Luxembourg City
Day 11 - Luxembourg City to Home

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Great work mate @a17vts have to start to organise something soon as the end of the year is quickly coming up now.
So maybe a trip in the UK ie Wales or Scotland or even just a Day or weekend if most cant do anything longer.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
just registered on that site,is it free to upload to the sat nav or is that an upgrade?

No its free, however you can pay for upgrades which gives you the option to avoid tolls, which is useful for longer European trips.

But you don't need to pay to be able to save them as sat nav file, plus you can make your files public, which I think all mine are so if you search for me (a17vts or a17vts@hotmail.com) you should be able to see all my routes.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
No its free, however you can pay for upgrades which gives you the option to avoid tolls, which is useful for longer European trips.

But you don't need to pay to be able to save them as sat nav file, plus you can make your files public, which I think all mine are so if you search for me (a17vts or a17vts@hotmail.com) you should be able to see all my routes.

Cool,have you any routes done for Wales or Scotland?