ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ring Doorbell

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
We've had a Ring Doorbell Plus since black Friday event. I must admit, I was expecting a bit more from it.
It's a bit laggy with notifications like said above.
Footage quality etc is spot on. I have tweaked the motion detection settings a bit but it's not improved it massively.

I think I'm expecting full on security camera from it when it's just a video doorbell. I will look into investing in some of the ring cameras when next on offer

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Motion detect on all these products, eufy, ring, blink etc is f**king gash, I've been through them all and the best was some cheap Chinese tat.

It was the only one that also would continuously record (to offset any s**t motion detect) - but the Chinese government had a back door to my network, so I swapped it out.
That and it started corrupting sd cards.

I've found despite having a smart doorbell, I just view who it is maybe 2/10 times and actually converse with them maybe 1/30.

Biggest waste of money I've ever ventured down.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Motion detect on all these products, eufy, ring, blink etc is f**king gash, I've been through them all and the best was some cheap Chinese tat.

It was the only one that also would continuously record (to offset any s**t motion detect) - but the Chinese government had a back door to my network, so I swapped it out.
That and it started corrupting sd cards.

I've found despite having a smart doorbell, I just view who it is maybe 2/10 times and actually converse with them maybe 1/30.

Biggest waste of money I've ever ventured down.
I need something mate, if the c***s are coming back i wanr to know.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Others do this too but I went with the TP link as I was buying cameras at the same time. Their cameras connect to the same hub and use the same app so notification come from doorbell plus two cameras. Once you start adding cameras some subscriptions can start costing a bit.

Setup couldn't have been easier. If they got in through your back door you might want a camera there too? They also do internal cameras with pan/tilt/motion tracking.

One of the issues with the other brands which made up my mind to try out TP link was that the others connect straight to your wifi, if there is a lot of wifi noise where you are (lots of neighbours etc), like me and I reckon Oggy above then the notifications/recording can be delayed a fair bit. The TP link used a lower frequency uncluttered frequency band and hence has its own hub, the hub then connects to the net via ethernet cable or wifi. I have it next to my router to use ethernet.

I get no delay in notifications and/or recordings beyond 1-2s. The hub doorbell chime is instant.

At somepoint I will do it all again and use a dedicated CCTV system much like I believe Dan has as these let you record continuously ensuring that if something is done to your property you can go back through the recording and always find it while any IP cam you are reliant on it waking up to record an event. My experience with them is that they wake up reliably but unless your settings are right they stop recording too soon or miss the first few seconds.. i suspect that will be true of all of them.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
I have a similar setup now, bobbo, a eufy one, the motion detection is horrendous, but they all are so I gave up.

Got the eufycam with a doorbell on top, it has the homebase thingy for local storage and reduced latency etc.
It's cost a small fortune and it's all a bit s**t still, but I'm tired of it.

I'm more concerned about the eufycam than the doorbell though, in all fairness. The doorbell is usually just DPD telling me they can't deliver to a neighbour and they'll retry tomorrow when I'm not in.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I have a similar setup now, bobbo, a eufy one, the motion detection is horrendous, but they all are so I gave up.

Got the eufycam with a doorbell on top, it has the homebase thingy for local storage and reduced latency etc.
It's cost a small fortune and it's all a bit s**t still, but I'm tired of it.

I'm more concerned about the eufycam than the doorbell though, in all fairness. The doorbell is usually just DPD telling me they can't deliver to a neighbour and they'll retry tomorrow when I'm not in.
I returned my Eufy cam which I bought recently, it suggested 180 days but even when really reducing everything down to bare minimum best I could get was 8 days!

Gone to a reolink cam which again is ABIT s**t as not wired but does come with a free solar panel and does the job for the area I'm now in which is relatively crime free.

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Eufy will do 180 days, if it detects nothing.
My spare cam is still in the box running since September.

Its quoted the same life as the doorbell

Screenshot_20231229_191932_eufy Security.jpg

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Eufy all day long had mine years also camera never have any notification issues at all would say that has more to do with your WiFi than the bell itself battery lasts months no false alerts.

Solid build quality too

Ring are pretty w**k lmo footage is s**t looks like they cost 2.95 to manufacturer!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
At somepoint I will do it all again and use a dedicated CCTV system much like I believe Dan has as these let you record continuously ensuring that if something is done to your property you can go back through the recording and always find it
Aye!
This is recording 24/7 with 4 cameras and I go back to the start of November for footage which is great. All thanks to the kindness of @Krarl providing me with some hdds!

I wouldn't trust one of these cameras for anything security wise really, for me it's more to speak to delivery drivers

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Eufy all day long had mine years also camera never have any notification issues at all would say that has more to do with your WiFi than the bell itself battery lasts months no false alerts.

Solid build quality too

Ring are pretty w**k lmo footage is s**t looks like they cost 2.95 to manufacturer!

Got a Eufy, decent bit of kit, cheers for the heads up mate. Not sure if you have one, but i got one of the Eufy entry sensors as well to put on the conservatory door, links into the system so tells me when the door opens and when it closes, but you can also sound the alarm on the home base if you want, so kind of acts like a house alarm, only cheap as well.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Got a Eufy, decent bit of kit, cheers for the heads up mate. Not sure if you have one, but i got one of the Eufy entry sensors as well to put on the conservatory door, links into the system so tells me when the door opens and when it closes, but you can also sound the alarm on the home base if you want, so kind of acts like a house alarm, only cheap as well.

Good idea that, might get one for the conservatory, garage, and bifolds at the rear!

I believe you can also get PRI room sensors for them too

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Is there any reason as to why the Ring doorbell is a tad selective on what it records/ and when?

We've had it a few times, when people have come onto the drive to pick things up, and it's not even triggered their movement.

Had one the other day, where a courier turned up at about 5.30am to drop off a parcel - left it at the front of the house, 3 ft from the Ring Doorbell, and it didn't even record it?!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Is there any reason as to why the Ring doorbell is a tad selective on what it records/ and when?

We've had it a few times, when people have come onto the drive to pick things up, and it's not even triggered their movement.

Had one the other day, where a courier turned up at about 5.30am to drop off a parcel - left it at the front of the house, 3 ft from the Ring Doorbell, and it didn't even record it?!

Could be you wi-fi connection.

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Get a eufy😉
I'm tempted for their camera set up tbh. Can you have separate cameras running off different networks? We have the garage with it's own TP Link box, so that's a different router than the house. Presume it must be do able. I don't like the faff of hard wiring them all in, however I know that's the best possible solution for decent images/recording etc.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

My cameras did that last week twice in a row not detecting Sam leaving and coming home from work. I think it was what she was wearing! Wonder if it's a sensitivity setting, which is what I believe mine is to do with

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Anyone else got the Ring Spotlight cams? Big-ish square thing?

Bought one to sit over the driveway to keep an eye on the cars etc. Good thing I did as my neighbour cant drive/park for toffee.

Had the first one for about 4 months before it started to throw a fit and not work. Got it replaced by Ring.

Exactly the same thing has happened again!

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Anyone had the email about the subscription going up?
Ring Protect Basic - £34.99 per year to £49.99 per year from 11th March 2024.

42.9% increase.
Yep, thought it was rather a big jump to be quite honest.

I use mine through Homebridge, so the doorbell shows up in the Home app etc, the other benefit being it tricks the app into thinking it's Homekit Secure, so free recording. Although I've still found it to be hit and miss so will probably change to Eufy like all the other recommendations 😅

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Got a top tip, try the below.!!

66965_1.jpg

How to cancel a subscription on Ring.com

• On the top menu, click Protect Plan.
  • Find the plan you want to cancel and click Cancel Plan.
  • Click Continue.
  • Select whether you want to cancel the plan immediately or at the end of the billing cycle.
  • Click Cancel Ring Protect.

Resubscribe on the Annual Plan before 11th March and you will have 12 months at the original price £34.99.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One

View attachment 1679928

• Click Continue.
  • Select whether you want to cancel the plan immediately or at the end of the billing cycle.

Resubscribe on the Annual Plan before 11th March and you will have 12 months at the original price £34.99.

Enjoy.
That’s good if you pay monthly but what if you’ve paid the whole year which runs out in November 🤦🏼‍♀️ asking for a friend.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
If anyone wants eufy pm me for a referral code for

View attachment 1679928

• Click Continue.

Enjoy.

Better still get a eufy and pay no subs at all and get better products