ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing the 182

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Guys,

The time has come for me to start think about replacing my beloved 182 daily. Im buying a house and have scrimped and saved for about two years to pay for. With the mortgage sorted I can look at financing something.

I do a nasty commute in stop start traffic so want something auto and something quick.

Top end of my budget im looking at an M135i LCI/ early M140i for about £18k. Its a great car but the insurance is double my 182! Payments are fine but the 2k a year insurance hurts.

Looked at a Clio 200 1.6t for £10kish and they look great on the outside but the interior is a w**k and im worried its not actually much quicker than my 182!

Looking for other suggestions!

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Golf R/S3?

F30 3 Series with the Auto Box

The Golf and S3 are a little bit better on insurance but just don’t tickle my g spot really.

The 3 series comes in worse on insurance which is ridiculous. £1.5k for a 320D, £2.4k for a 335i ?‍♂️

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Something like this? Not this exact car, just thinking of the engine/package as a whole. 240bhp then could remap that to 280 ish would be plenty. Or could go for the 330i instead with a better engine/tuning potential.

How about getting a cheap as chips, small engined automatic car for the commute (Fiesta/Corsa) and keep the 182 for weekend blasts.

As you won't be leasing a swanky car you'll then be a few hundred quid a month better off which you can use to pay off your mortgage quicker or nice holidays etc.

172 Cup
Just get a mk3 Megane and put up with having to use your left foot in traffic. No concerns about it not being quicker or fun to drive and significantly cheaper than your other suggestions.

Kev@KAM

ClioSport Trader
  Badass Toyota
Wow. What have you done wrong to get that high insurance lol
I'm running a 328 F30 and its brilliant in traffic due to its ability to crawl along happily in most gears. I can crawl at 25-30mph in 5th. With an auto version it would be extremely capable in bad stop start traffic. Out of choice (other than the perks of high end cars) i'd run smaller.
Small engined cars are brilliant for a short commute. Got the missus a 208 1.2. No turbo and a real nice short ratio box. Light clutch and effortless steering. Its nippy enough to dart out of junctions and small so you can squeese through the smaller gaps. She uses that to travel 3-4 miles a day

Hxrry

so-wax.com
ClioSport Trader
Opposite scale of things but I went from a 370bhp GTI to a 2016 S3 Saloon and then got incredibly bored (also didn't like the fact I would get followed home in it) so I went and bought another high power golf. Don't get anything 4wd is all I will say, it gets so dull after a while honestly! After some hot hatch fun to something so controlled, it's really no fun at all.

Get something like a 140i or even a MK7 Golf GTI as they're good fun. You want something that fights you for control, not something you aim and shoot with.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Why is your insurance so high?
My new house is just in a bad postcode and I have a few claims (theft from vehicle). Currently pay £500 for the Clio at parental home, £1100 at new address!
220 trophy, im not overly impressed with the fuel economy however if your commute is quite long
Would consider it, is it significantly better than the 200? there is a very big price gap which puts the 220 close to M135i money.
Civic type r?
Hate the look of it, it's too 'loud' for me

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Opposite scale of things but I went from a 370bhp GTI to a 2016 S3 Saloon and then got incredibly bored (also didn't like the fact I would get followed home in it) so I went and bought another high power golf. Don't get anything 4wd is all I will say, it gets so dull after a while honestly! After some hot hatch fun to something so controlled, it's really no fun at all.

Get something like a 140i or even a MK7 Golf GTI as they're good fun. You want something that fights you for control, not something you aim and shoot with.

Yeah the 140/135i is certainly a handful and its going to be a 'last of its kind' car now with the replacement being 4WD 4 pot

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Wow. What have you done wrong to get that high insurance lol
I'm running a 328 F30 and its brilliant in traffic due to its ability to crawl along happily in most gears. I can crawl at 25-30mph in 5th. With an auto version it would be extremely capable in bad stop start traffic. Out of choice (other than the perks of high end cars) i'd run smaller.
Small engined cars are brilliant for a short commute. Got the missus a 208 1.2. No turbo and a real nice short ratio box. Light clutch and effortless steering. Its nippy enough to dart out of junctions and small so you can squeese through the smaller gaps. She uses that to travel 3-4 miles a day

Nothing, its just a horrific postcode for insurance. I like the idea of of the M135i because its got that silky smooth auto box. The 328 is a compelling package and I've actually looked at a 330e but like you said its a bit big for an inner city commute and parking in a multistorey every day

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
would consider it, is it significantly better than the 200? there is a very big price gap which puts the 220 close to M135i money.
Hate the look of it, it's too 'loud' for me
Yeah it rectified all the silly bits they got wrong with the 200 and the facelift interior is a touch nicer.

Never driven a 135 but I've driven a 140, fantastic cars, stupidly fast but the Clio is a hell of a lot more involving to drive. It's still got that Renault sport magic but without the harsh ride, poor refinement and lack of torque that the previous generation suffered from.

Definitely worth a look!

Not sure there is much this side of 40k I'd replace mine with!

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got any thoughts on an S1? Quattro, 2.0L turbo and you can get 300bhp from a remap! I've run some insurance quotes and its coming back at about £900 for me!

Rusty Cup
Where have you moved to? central manchester? my advice would be use your parents address. No one should be paying 4 figures for insurance.

MorroN

ClioSport Club Member
Where have you moved to? central manchester? my advice would be use your parents address. No one should be paying 4 figures for insurance.

A not so great area of Stockport. I could do that but im actually buying my first house so I think the risk compared with renting is a bit too high for me