ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Subframe Nuts / Cages

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Just dropped my subframe for a manifold swap and 3/4 of the bolts came away ok, one of the fronts required the cage removed and held with a socket.

Im looking to replace all the nuts & cages as I fear I may not be so lucky the next time round and some of the cages look quite rusty and aged.

Has anyone done this and how awkward are they to fit and locate properly? Dont want to remove the existing ones to find that its a ballache or not possible for access with the engine still in place

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Removing the old ones is by far the hardest bit, new ones do literally just pop into place.

I had a snapped subframe bolt and the other 3 all had damaged cages when trying to undo them, I found it easiest to attack the cage with a hammer and punch and then get a suitable spanner in, a little fiddly on one rear corner but perfectly do able at home on the drive with the engine still in situ.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Great, cheers for that. What I was hoping to hear

Removed one cage yesterday, just a case of pushing the locating tabs in as much as possible and prising it out with a mixture of drivers / prybar. Will be a bit easier maybe with subframe dropped rather than doing it with it in place.

Making life easier for myself next time round haha

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Old cages came out no problem with a wee bit of fiddling, new ones slotted in no problem. Job done. Well worthwhile while the subframes dropped imo

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
the new cage nuts and bolts, from Renault yeah and cost? got this job incoming on my phase 1 and have a feeling it may be a sod!

Rystar

ClioSport Club Member
  2003 Clio 172
My Subframe has been nut and bolted on the front two at some point in its life due to broken cages so would be nice to get some part numbers up!

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Yeah got them from renault. £68 for them all together. Will look today see if I still have the invoice for part numbers

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Part no’s for those interested, £68 for all 4

Attachments

• 2E0CDCD8-7987-40D3-945B-2D74D947CB7D.jpeg
    2E0CDCD8-7987-40D3-945B-2D74D947CB7D.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 95