ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacement sound system

Clio dynamique
So I want to replace the sound system in my 53 reg clio, any ideas on stereos, subs, amps, and speakers? im not sure whats good and I want to get the best for my money, thank you, im looking to spend say £300 at the moment which isnt a lot but ill invest more in the future after the next pay day ;)

Listerine & Poledo
Check the links in the previous post fella. Just suggestions but they fit your budget.

Choice of 2 subs, depending on whether you want a box in your boot or not.

Clio f1 r27
A good amount of sound proofing will help as well. Your trying to make the doors an acoustic box for the speakers.

Listerine & Poledo
A good amount of sound proofing will help as well. Your trying to make the doors an acoustic box for the speakers.

Very true, but that;s a job for when you're pulling the doors apart to get new speakers in them really. Unless French build quality is really shining through and the doors sound like maracas, in which case, yeah, get it done.

Clio mk3 1.4
Mk3 clio but also looking at getting a underseat sub as i don't want a large enclosure in the boot taking up room. Is the Kenwood KSC-SW11 as good as the one you listed or?

Clio mk3 1.4
I assume you will be getting component speakers, Fli are alright but require a lot of power which an aftermarket headunit can't produce without a separate amp. RMS rating is the continuous rating. Try to match the power rating with the rms power of an amp if you have one. But for speakers id recommend Pioneer TS-A132Ci. They have a lot of depth and good detail but break up at lower frequencys. If you want coax then something like the Rockford Fosgate R1525X2 would be good.

Listerine & Poledo
What budget door speakers would you recommend? I've heard fli(?) ones mentioned before as a decent upgrade.
Wouldn't bother. Not unless you're going to add an amplifier for them as well.
The stock units are fine once you cut bass to them (head unit settings)

Adding "budget" speakers wont get you much further than what you've already got tbf. If you've got a dead cone then just swap out like-for-like.

Clio mk2 1.5 dci 80
I had dead back speakers which I replaced with some Ken wood speakers only about £30 for the pair and then ended up getting a amp and Sub for the boot and new front speakers. Think it sounds awesome could do with dedicated amps for the aftermarket speakers but the main drawback is the rattles from owning an older car. Look to buy a sub and amp second hand from places like Facebook, some people don't recommend it but just make sure you check it properly before hand and you can save yourself a lot of $$.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@Goodj - I'm a total novice with stereo kit. Would the likes of that Pioneer you mention literally swapout with the cables that are currently connected on the Cabasse Audiotorium?

I'd be keen on getting DAB on it as well, so I'd assume I'd need that additional aerial lead mentioned on that website?

Cheers,
D.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
You'll need a stalk adapter (SRN005), Auto Leads DAB antena and ISO female DD - If you haggle you should be able to get the lot for around £160-£170 inc the HU. The Pioneer in Goodj's link is about the best on the market for the money. Bought the same one myself just before Xmas and love it. no need for new speakers...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
You'll need a stalk adapter (SRN005), Auto Leads DAB antena and ISO female DD - If you haggle you should be able to get the lot for around £160-£170 inc the HU. The Pioneer in Goodj's link is about the best on the market for the money. Bought the same one myself just before Xmas and love it. no need for new speakers...

Thanks @Cue - what's the ISO female DD you mention? Sorry, I hardly know anything about this kind of kit.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@Goodj - just a little unsure of the stalk adapter bit.

The DS-RN003 below looks to match the cabling ports on the rear of the Cabasse Auditorium better than the DS-RN005. It also mentions in the supported car list, the Clio between 2000-2005, which clearly the 182 falls into.

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ren...ering-wheel-control-stalk-interface-lead.html

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ren...el-stalk-control-adaptor.html?search=ds-rn005

The DS-RN005 appears to support the Clio from years 2005-2009 - again, too new for a 182? Am I right in saying that I should go for the DS-RN003 instead?

Cheers,
D.

Cue

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #274
do you presently have the tuner or update list HU?

If you call Dynamic sounds or even halford, they'll tell you which one you need - iirc for mine it was something like the 5.2AA but thats from memory....

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, having hijacked this thread good and proper (sorry OP!) - I bought the following items.

Pioneer MVH-X580DAB head unit (with DAB aerial) - https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/pioneer-mvh-x580dab-mechless-bluetooth-usb-car-stereo-dab-ipod-iphone-android-aerial.html?search=MVH-X580DAB Aerial

And the DS-RN003 stalk control lead - https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ren...ering-wheel-control-stalk-interface-lead.html

All in, with free P&P it came to just under £135.

I did a trial fitting last night where I just wanted to make sure that the fittings and stalk controls worked - but I have yet to run the external mic and the DAB antenna. Cable wise - they couldn't make it any easier. All of the fittings can only go one way and into one socket. The slight issue is that you end up with a fair amount of cable bunching up and it will be a bit of a task to get everything neatly packed away. The head unit itself is currently sticking out be about half an inch because of this bunching up, but again, I'm hoping to sort that this weekend.

Thanks again to @Goodj for recommending the Pioneer unit to begin with. It's revitalized the sound within the car without the need to mess about with better speakers. For the money, its a great unit and easy to use.