ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renault 5 GT Turbo refresh

Ant1

ClioSport Club Member
Well I sold this 1 year ago almost to the day which i regretted from the moment it left the drive.

The guy I sold it to dropped me a line on Saturday and asked if I wanted it back for the price I sold it for!

Made a very long journey down there and was taken back upon arrival due to the state she was in. Don't think it had ever been cleaned :-(

Anyhow drove the car back, so far the clutch is shot, Ao48s fooked due to incorrect pressures used, brakes fooked, decals peeling, vibration through steering wheel (bad) between 70-80 drivers seat material torn and cat hair everywhere.....

So already stripped the car down, fitted new decals, spent 8hrs cleaning and sealing exterior, interior tomorrow than car is booked in next week to have clutch done as I can't spend that sort of time doing it....

BUT still pleased.

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1570.JPG

So now I set about sorting the horrific steering wheel vibration @ around 70mph, so first off was to whip the front wheels off to check balancing.

I replaced all shocks, bushes, steering components and tyres 2k ago.

This is what I was greeted with....

Pissed didn't cut it.

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

So I ordered a different manufacture rod ends and a new set of 888 to replace the fucked AE048s.

So after that was sorted onto finishing the exterior. All trims & rubbers cleaned and coated with C4.

IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1588.JPG

Last edited:

Ant1

ClioSport Club Member
Now onto the interior which used to be mint, well mint for 30 years old.

He guy had no respect for my seats so damaged the bolsters and bolster material. These will be off now for a retrim in the coming weeks.

Every deep cleaned, carpets cleaned, seats cleaned, all lower plastics, door cards and dash treated with C6.

Fortunately my brand new rare as hens teeth phase 1 knob and gator where still mint.

IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG

She is going on for tracking on Tuesday than straight to a trusted guy to change the clutch, clutch cable, fit 1 piece down pipe, and service the engine for me using genuine parts other than oil. He doesn't know it yet lol but I'm going to get him to clean the bay whilst engine Is out....

Last edited:

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Bet you were devastated getting it back, Why buy a car like this and then not bother looking after it!!

The stuff you have used for the exterior trim does it restore grey plastic back to black as my mk1 clio is in desperate need of something doing to the bump strips

cat171

ClioSport Club Member
You'd have thought that buying a car like that they'd have looked after it! It seems that you sold it to a moron, still it's back in very safe hands now.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Given current values of the phase 2 GT turbos, as mentioned you'd think it would have been cherished.

Nice to see it back

sj2112

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi s4 avant
Baffles me tbh, people that buy cars like this to just neglect them.

Good to see you are giving it the tlc it deserves

Ant1

ClioSport Club Member
What made my blood boil is the state of the tyres, I drove 140 miles home with them like that. I checked them breifly when I collected car, but from the outside they looked ok.

All the gutters and window trims were etched with mold, obviously not parked in workshop like he said, more like left outside.

f**king interior was covered in cat hair...

Countryman JCW
Amazing car, saw you post about this on facebook, will be looking forward to your updates on it mate!

Its got a tidy amount of power if im not mistaken?

Ant1

ClioSport Club Member
It's certainly lively! 1st is laggy but 2nd onwards is a hoot, revs to 7.5k and still pulls.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo VIII MR FQ340
Even the non GT's were surprising. My mums mate had one way back when and I remember sitting in it, low little thing that it is. O_O slow down, love

Ant1

ClioSport Club Member
So next week the list of bits being done are...

New clutch
Clutch cable
Soft clutch conversion
Track rod ends
Alignment
New 888s
Alternator belt (genuine)
Plugs
Oil & filter (genuine filter)
New 1 piece down pipe (£300 on its own)
Few other bits like centering the exhaust on exit.

Best part of 1k above all in a few days....

Downpipe below will aid better spool

IMG_1606.JPG

Jesus! Why would you buy something like that and just ruin it. I'd have been tempted to say something..

Glad to see it getting back up to scratch again.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
Looks awesome.

Unfortunately for you he obviously knew they're not going down in value, regardless of how he treated it.

Cribert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
That's awesome. Had a play with anything more exotic? Power to weight is very good

This has had a restoration then? Or it's on 1,000 miles lol?

Nice to see arches like that and the rest of the car in such a great original shape

It's certainly lively! 1st is laggy but 2nd onwards is a hoot, revs to 7.5k and still pulls.
Whats the spec..?! 220bhp on a C1J needs some £££, is it still on the Solex 32?

Nice bit of kit, who's made this? Still kick myself for not buying a BMS one when he was on my doorstep :(

Very nice @Ant1 :up: Also, did you used to own a white PH2? H plate ending in APP or something? Black spoiler/mirrors and so on? If so, my mum sent me some photos of it in my home town last week saying I need to get mine finished 😂

Ant1

ClioSport Club Member
This has had a restoration then? Or it's on 1,000 miles lol?

Nice to see arches like that and the rest of the car in such a great original shape

Whats the spec..?! 220bhp on a C1J needs some £££, is it still on the Solex 32?

Nice bit of kit, who's made this? Still kick myself for not buying a BMS one when he was on my doorstep 😧

Very nice @Ant1 :up: Also, did you used to own a white PH2? H plate ending in APP or something? Black spoiler/mirrors and so on? If so, my mum sent me some photos of it in my home town last week saying I need to get mine finished 😂
Yes that was mine some years ago now.

Current 5 has never been welded, only paint. Andrew Bond from the Facebook page gets the down pipes made :)

Engine is a BB yellow spec below, a lot of head work, running all associated mods like cam, intercooler, T28 etc.

Last RR was 208bhp @ 18psi, now runs 20psi so should be 220bhp approx. Was running 23psi but really not needed lol.

I know this has been said above but still, why on earth would you buy a cherished rare (and let's say collector's car now) and treat it like that? It's not like he can say he only paid £1500 or something and didn't know what it was!? The mind boggles, honestly! To be honest, he's very lucky you didn't walk away!! Don't think I could have taken it back in that state but the heart rules sometimes doesn't it.

Car looks stunning though and thank goodness you've got it back in time and saved it :up:
Can't believe that power figure!!! :fearscream::grimacing:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 Cup
This thread is going to need videos once you've got it all sorted.

I still can't believe how quickly a car can go down hill when not treated with care 😧