ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recaro Seat info - updated

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
(Note: this was posted before but I don't seem able to edit it.)

There seem to be a lot of people asking about the Recaro seats so I thought Id post this to save replying everytime.

- Seating position is approx 10mm lower than standard.

As an option when buying a 182

- The Trophy comes with the Recaros as standard.
- They are a £550 option on the regular 182.
- They are an £850 option on the 182 Cup.

In each case, the rear bench is downgraded to Dynamique spec - ie no change in the Cup, and loss of leather and headrests in the regular 182.

It is not possible to retain the leather rear bench when specifying Recaros as an option.

Aftermarket

Renault will not sell you the seats or fit them. You will need to obtain them from Recaro direct or a retailer such as Demon Tweeks or http://www.xfactormotorsport.co.uk/

The exact colour/trim is Black Vinyl/Dinamica Black with belt guides.

- Retail is £555 per seat, they seem to be cheaper here (add VAT to the price though) http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/productdetail.asp?pid=242&type=s&appgrpid=14&appid=59&rid=

- You will also need Recaro subframes at £114 per side. Steep but these are TUV approved. The slide mechanism off the Renault seats is re-used. This is the method Renault use for the option seats or Trophy, so sadly you can't get the seats any lower by buying aftermarket kit.

Remember if your car has side airbags youll need to sort out the warning light. It won't fail an MOT, but you won't be alerted to any problem with the steering wheel airbag.

Ive not fitted a pair, but similar aftermarket seats into other cars takes a couple of hours or so, nothing more than a couple of spanners / socket set required.

Caution is advised with the seatbelt pre-tensioners. The Recaro mounting frame instructions go into detail with this.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Very interesting.
Not sure theyre worth the month as an aftermarket fit. Makes the option good value, although dont know why down graded ther rear bench doesnt makes sense, other than to save money.

One of my main reasons for aftermarket seats is to sit lower in the car!!!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
'It is not possible to retain the leather rear bench when specifying Recaros as an option.'

Seats-lowres.gif

Buy the rear beanch aftermarket then ;) Deffo worth the money!

106 GTi
Paul J said:
'It is not possible to retain the leather rear bench when specifying Recaros as an option.'

Seats-lowres.gif

Buy the rear beanch aftermarket then ;) Deffo worth the money!

That looks proper, how much did it work out doing it that way round then?

See why Renault didnt do it though as the leather miss match is clear.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Total cost was £700, £500 for Recaro's from Renault and approx £200 (bought a few things) for the rears from ClioSpares. Very happy with them, tbh the pic does make them look quite mismatched, they are, but not so bad in the flesh :D

PS Scott, your pm is full, thanks tho :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nice thread, but I really dont get why people give a fawk about the rear bench? There's no way anyone is sitting behind me unless they brought a saw to cut their legs off.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
I rarely have rear passengers and am not really into 'doing up' the look of cars but they really improve the overall apperance imo. tbh no one has commented on new rears but the old ones had a fair few comments of 'they look out of place/ low spec'.

Fair play dude I think it looks sweet, but I wouldnt personally bother. I have a Cup and its a 12K shopping trolley so I'm not worried about people commenting on the interior. They soon go quiet after a quick spin :approve:

I do like the Recaros though :approve:

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
Fred2001Dynamic said:
that's a lot of money for 10mm lower

I can't tell if that's a joke or not, but I assume you're aware of just how much better the Recaro seats are than the standard Renault ones?

Plenty of people are happy with the standards though and you're right that they are expensive, but certainly not anything approaching a rip-off.

I've had a look at the mounting frames and I reckon that there is possible an inch or so that can be lost from the height if they were made differently. I'm going to draught plans for a lower set then investigate costs to getting them made.

106 GTi
Roy Munson said:
Nice thread, but I really dont get why people give a fawk about the rear bench? There's no way anyone is sitting behind me unless they brought a saw to cut their legs off.

Agreed there is no space at all, dont think the back seats of mine have been sat in yet!

Red Cup said:
- You will also need Recaro subframes at £114 per side. Steep but these are TUV approved. The slide mechanism off the Renault seats is re-used. This is the method Renault use for the option seats or Trophy, so sadly you can't get the seats any lower by buying aftermarket kit.

Are you saying that using the standard slide mechanism means that fitting them aftermarket won't make them 10mm lower?

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
rcp said:
Are you saying that using the standard slide mechanism means that fitting them aftermarket won't make them 10mm lower?

No, I mean that the method both Recaro and Renault use is the same - using the Renault runners. So it makes no odds whether the seat is fitted aftermarket or at the factory, it's still only 10mm lower than the standard seats.

Red Cup said:
No, I mean that the method both Recaro and Renault use is the same - using the Renault runners. So it makes no odds whether the seat is fitted aftermarket or at the factory, it's still only 10mm lower than the standard seats.

Thanks.

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS
You could remove the rears, but for a stripped out look you're probably not going to spend a grand on tilting recliners, more like half that on some fixed back buckets.

My other car has Sparco buckets, 6 points and a cage so I need my 182 to be practical as a daily driver.

RenaultSport clio 172 cup
Anyone fitted any cobra seats? or know where i can get a hot to guide to fitting seats in my 172 cup?

cheers

VaVa
Adamf said:
I'd have thought a 172 rear bench would look better because it doesn't have the dot pattern.

Correct. Would look better as it doesn't have the crappy silver bit undet the perforated alacantara.

Ford Fiesta
quick Q, when you order the recaros from renault do you still get the alcantara trim on the doors?

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
nope, standard cloth, just found this out the other day when looking at a standard 182 in a showroom

clio 197 f1
who do you need to speak too at demon tweeks for discount, dont remember seeing demon tweeks on the discount list thats all

cheers

clio 197 f1
basically any bucket/reclining aftermarket seat will fit anything so long as you buy or make a subframe to fit