ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear shock bolt into hub? Where I get a new one.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
This afternoon was fun.
IMG_20181102_153510.jpg
IMG_20181102_153520.jpg
IMG_20181102_153526.jpg

Changed my exhaust quite the fiddle. Everything went well. Removed the shock bolts to lower the axel so I could get the old exhaust out. All back together.

Just to put the shock bolts back.
IMG_20181102_155424.jpg
IMG_20181102_160032.jpg

Greaaaaat. I've not managed to move it. Seems pretty stuck in there. I've soaked it with Wd40 give it a bash tomorrow.
But where do I get a new bolt from is my question?

I'm guessing I'm not the first to snap these damn soft breadstick bolts. Where can I get a new one? Cheers

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
You snapped it putting it back in? How tight did you try and do it up?

I'll have a look in my bolt box tomorrow morning and chuck one in post if I've got a spare.

Whenever I take anything apart I always use wire wheel attachment and wire bottle brush attachment on drill to clean the bolt and bolt hole threads then lather up in copper grease

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
You snapped it putting it back in? How tight did you try and do it up?

I'll have a look in my bolt box tomorrow morning and chuck one in post if I've got a spare.

Whenever I take anything apart I always use wire wheel attachment and wire bottle brush attachment on drill to clean the bolt and bolt hole threads then lather up in copper grease

It wasn't that tight. It just went. Was doing it up with a hand torq wrench. And not even fully in lifted it up and snapped. Was shocked to say the least. Cheers. That be appreciated.

7703602229 is the part number

Cheers man

dan's cast offs.
Got s**t loads of them if you want to grab one or just find a local bolt stockists and get one from them.

Drill it out, you should find when you get close to the bolt diameter the drill bit will pick up on it and spin it out for you.

If anyone tells you to usr an easy out tell them where to stick it ?

2014 Clio 200t edc
I had the same situation at the same point roughly putting the bolt back in when I changed my rear springs on my old 172. Renault didn’t stock it but I managed to get a bolt from a local little nut and bolt shop which apparently was stronger. Had to get someone to drill it out for me because I failed though.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
Can you not get mole grips on it from the inside?
Gonna give it ago today. I've soaked it in wd40 over night and I've got some long nose mole grips in gonna try move it. Normally snapped bolts move with a hammer and screwdriver, like my snapped wheel bolts from jerks-r-us who do them up way to tight. Will give it a go if not might get someone to give me a hand. If they have any drill out stuff.

I had the same situation at the same point roughly putting the bolt back in when I changed my rear springs on my old 172. Renault didn’t stock it but I managed to get a bolt from a local little nut and bolt shop which apparently was stronger. Had to get someone to drill it out for me because I failed though.
Don't happen to know the size of top your head do you? I think screwfix have a pack of 25 that match. Might just go round with the bolt and ask if anyone can match it.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
anything other than a hand drill should do it.

I've got a drill. Can't move it at all atm. I've got some new bolts though at least. Hoping to get a mate to help me get them out. Sucks I can't move the bolt atm :/

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
When putting the rear beam shock bolts back in its crucial to make sure the bolt goes in easily with your fingers. its all too easy to cross thread it if the rear beam isnt perfectly raised to the shock hole. Its happened to me whilst working on a mates 182 and it turned in to a nightmare. We ended up having to change the rear beam .

My advice is to get yourself a cheap £20 electric drill from Argos or Wickes, get some half decent drill bits and like @bloke says keep at it as its your only choice . start with a small hole going in atleats 15 mm , then move up to a slightly larger drill bit and keep going up in size. starting with a big drill bit is going to take forever.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
When putting the rear beam shock bolts back in its crucial to make sure the bolt goes in easily with your fingers. its all too easy to cross thread it if the rear beam isnt perfectly raised to the shock hole. Its happened to me whilst working on a mates 182 and it turned in to a nightmare. We ended up having to change the rear beam .

My advice is to get yourself a cheap £20 electric drill from Argos or Wickes, get some half decent drill bits and like @bloke says keep at it as its your only choice . start with a small hole going in atleats 15 mm , then move up to a slightly larger drill bit and keep going up in size. starting with a big drill bit is going to take forever.

I'll give it a go today. I always use a jack to align the beam with shock. It went in smoothly by hand. I just don't get my it snapped, just the last few turns with a torq and it went. Proper anoying.

Hoping a mechanic mate can pop round he's got colbolt bits. Or I heat it up and wind it out with a drill extractor. I'm not wanting a new rear beam.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
That should drill out a doddle with good drill bits. Cutting fluid and patience required, dont bother with the easi out shite, when they snap your in a whole world of pain.

Archtects

ClioSport Club Member
  Z34 370z Nismo
That should drill out a doddle with good drill bits. Cutting fluid and patience required, dont bother with the easi out shite, when they snap your in a whole world of pain.
This.

Slow speed more pressure rather than high speed and light pressure or else you'll burn the bit out. Always works for me.

Cheers lads forgot to say its out. I got drill bits but my old drill gave up the ghost before I got anywhere. So got a good mech mate to pop round drill, then smacked a hex bit with a socket attachment in and wound it out.

I picked up a set of 25 bolts from screwfix (couldn't just buy one ?) but only £15 so not to bad. High tensile M12 x 1.5 think it was 180mm long with a solid section at the head of the bolt before the thread and shuved a washer on it fits better than the standards. Tempted to change the other one over.

Cars back in one peace. But one of the exhaust clamps doesn't hold tight. So I've got a ricer fart atm.

??