ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear arch rust 172 cup

Need the rust cut out and a decent repair done on our cup ,

looked at a few and for some reason the cup shells i have seen seem to suffer from this as i spent a month looking at several cups and they all had varying signs of it , where regular mk2's don't

also got patches of lacquer pealing on the bonnet , but i will guess this starts with stone chip damage

Anyone had a good job done in the southeast ? thats not a fortune as lets face it its a 1500 quid car

looked at a few and for some reason the cup shells i have seen seem to suffer from this as i spent a month looking at several cups and they all had varying signs of it , where regular mk2's don't
Its because of the wider track the front tyres fire stones at the rear quarters.

Seems to be from the inside out it looks like stones and crap gather in the inner lip

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Listerine & Poledo
Anyone had a good job done in the southeast ? thats not a fortune as lets face it its a 1500 quid car

Welcome to the world where all MX5 owners exist.

To get a good job done you'e paying half the value of the car. Or you just live with it. Any cheap job is going to lead to another full-price job a year later.

Indeed , if I was going to bodge it with a cheap job I could do most of it myself

In my head both arches were going to be 6 or 700 quid

Listerine & Poledo
Indeed , if I was going to bodge it with a cheap job I could do most of it myself

In my head both arches were going to be 6 or 700 quid

The add paint to that.

OK, I say that like it's a sure thing. It's not. Depends on how manky the arch is.

For point of reference, it'd be about £600 a side for my sills and arches, painted. But thats a lot of metal work going in there, you could be reet

172 Cup
Hi,

Rather than start a new thread I'm jumping on this one :)

Did you end up getting a price from a bodyshop to have a rear arch properly fixed for rust?

My cup currently has a very rusty rear arch (a patch of about 1x4 inches above the arch) on the near side. This was there when I got the car and I then added to the mess by putting a big dent above it by going into the tyre wall at Castle Combe ?. The car is otherwise in pretty good condition.

The car is standard but used a track car and also to commute in, so while it doesn't need to be immaculate it's sometimes a little bit embarrassing having a car that looks like a write-off on one side. :)

So I'm weighing-up whether to get the rear quarter repaired (replaced?) or cut my losses and look for another 1*2...