ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Really vague steering all of a sudden

Was out tonight and someone else was driving for a while ? As soon as I got in a realised something had got buggered. First thought was maybe the rack was a bit loose, had put new rack bushes in recently and was fine up till now... But had a look in the bay and got someone to move the wheel and didnt really see it moving around at all. Gave both inners a good pull and they seemed solid. Heard the lower uj in the mk2s can be a problem, have been noticing something like a notch sometimes and a bit of a clunk when have the wheels up in the air it was really prominent, anything to do with that or maybe the column it self?? Am not at home till monday with no tools and bank holiday monday so might have to dish out extortion to a garage, or drive it an hour and half home and hope I dont die!!

So I pulled back the boot from inside the car and there seems to be no play whatsoever from what I can see. I tried to have a look from under the car and pulled back that boot but Im struggling to get to it. Anyone have any ideas what it could be? The bolt holding the column to the rack or the pinion in the rack???

Inside the rack, the pinion moves precise as well as the column. The rack is solid, hadnt put new bushes in that long ago anyway

Is the steering loose on the column?

Column is all precise, no play. Again I already gave the inners a good pull but nothing seemed to move.

If you can rotate the inner with not so much force its pretty old but its still fine? The right has a lot more resistance. I would just get new inners tbf but I dont want to if its not the clear answer!

Bit basic, but have you checked the tyre pressures?

Have been checked not so long ago but worth a shot. Will properly check the inners and double check the bushes mounts are tight as well.

Dont know how this clunk could of happened though, have had it written down as something to think about but has caught up on me, really sounded from the lower uj area but it all moves solid.. How come the pinion moves but the rack doesnt at first movements?

@STEVE.M

Think it could be the n/s inner, its more easier to turn than I thought and detached tie end and theres no resistance. Gave it a lot of force and there might be some play its hard to tell

Have bought 2 new inners now anyway, here is a video as well

@alexessex_7 Inner tie rods bud. But it could be a few things, old steering rack bushes can really mess up the steering, the steering columns lower uj can cause this as its bushed and has flex and perishes over time.

Would like to add that after this thread I was still on the hunt as I felt it was going again, I got a custom steering column that has a welded lower uj and that was the final piece of the puzzle. Steerings super sharp!

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
@alexessex_7 Inner tie rods bud. But it could be a few things, old steering rack bushes can really mess up the steering, the steering columns lower uj can cause this as its bushed and has flex and perishes over time.

Would like to add that after this thread I was still on the hunt as I felt it was going again, I got a custom steering column that has a welded lower uj and that was the final piece of the puzzle. Steerings super sharp!

Thanks mate, Il have to get that sorted then over next few days. I just brought another clio 182 ff , as sold myn some time ago. At the moment, it’s just not the same as I remember !!

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182

Thanks mate, Il have to get that sorted then over next few days. I just brought another clio 182 ff , as sold myn some time ago. At the moment, it’s just not the same as I remember !!

Fingers crossed it sorts it. Always plays on mind buying a used car and it being way off but just not realising, least you have doubts! I have doubts with 5k worth of mods lol

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
Having a tyre with a soft sidewall makes the steering vague. the factory fitted Michelin pe2 were solid as a rock compared to most tyres you can buy today.

Interesting. I’m pretty sure it’s not tyre related. I owned one for 6 years, over that time had Ps3, Toyo t1-r’s and eagle f1s. Currently have P zeros fitted.

Its back... Got a feeling its the rack bushes or mounts, has to be since I know full well all tie ends are very new and solid. Need to source those nylon one that were used on the old cup racers.

Nothing wrong with genuine Renault there just as stiff as the powerflex ones i put on.

Im looking at these completely solid ones, so wont perish like the rubber ones

image.png

Listerine & Poledo
Ive been using rose jointed tie ends for a little bit now so think thats just put more strain on them and killed it/them off
Don't rose joints disintegrate fairly quickly? Great for racecars and other vehicles that get suspension rebuilds every fistful of miles, but not ideal for road cars.

Don't rose joints disintegrate fairly quickly? Great for racecars and other vehicles that get suspension rebuilds every fistful of miles, but not ideal for road cars.

For whole long ive had them on they wouldnt even be good for a racecar thats dealing with a lot of more stress. They are arms for a nissan s15 for drifting so should be pretty strong!

Listerine & Poledo
What I'm getting at is that if you've not replaced those at any point, you might want to have look at them.

Being a metal-to-metal connection, they wear down rapid AF. Hence why actual race cars have theirs replaced on the regular.

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
had that problem long time ago.
2 things you need's to do, and the steering becomes better then ever.
first, there's very small rubber in the column where the u joint connect to the rack. just weld it, it's take most of the play, and make the steering much more precise.
second, get the rack out, and tight up the rack bushing, bit at the time, so when you start feel the rack is getting very hard to turn, then open the screw just abit.
it's suppose to move with some medium friction.
sorry for my shitty English, if you have questions feel free to send pm.

Attachments

• 44872092_282545372600563_73985712231284736_n.jpg
    44872092_282545372600563_73985712231284736_n.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 97
  • column.jpg
    column.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 108
@adir I would be very interested in looking at the rack as you said but I have corner weighting and alignment this monday ? Not something I could do quick.

I also have a welded lower uj like you, it was unreal when I first drove the car with it, taking slow corners at 30mph was moving me around in my seat, unlike before when I turned it stayed turning and wouldnt sort of give up in the turn.
IMG_0576.JPG

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
i never understand it either, the epas is solid as you said.
maybe it have something to do with the epas have more "blind spot" in the middle unlike the hydraulic one.
as for the rack bushing. once you get the right adjusting, you no longer have that famous knock when turning the steering .

Ive got a feeling its that tbf. The wheel is very light for a small amount, I dont see how the rack mounts or ends would be loose enough for you to be able to move the whole system with ease. The quick release I have is solid as well.

adir

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
You can do it this way.. it's more easy to get prices adjustment when it's completely out. Really depends on you mate : )