ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R.S. 18 future classic?

Clio
So the question is with the R.S. 18 being limited to only 15 UK models will it be a future classic like the 182 Trophy, V6 etc or where do people see their future values as it is one of the rarest production cars ever in the UK.

Future classic?

172/182 was very well received, then the Trophy added seats, dampers, paint & was Evo car of the year.

The V6 was... well, where do you start?

The RS18? Sadly I don’t think some yellow trim and an exhaust will transform the fortunes of what has probably been the least well received generation of fast Clio ever.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yes it's usually gotta be a decent car to start off with, or be a really special limited edition.

Lazily slapping some trim and an aftermarket exhaust on a car doesn't really cut it.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
It’ll hold s higher residual amongst those wanting exclusively over time but not significantly.
Use the Megane 265 RB8 as a reference point. Higher than norm. Tend to be advertised higher than realistic but it’s going to be worth what someone’s willing to pay. Similar I suppose to PB or LY on a 182?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Sadly not. Has to be a bit more special than what’s offered. Something genuinely different and unique always works.

E46 CSL: for obvious reasons
V6 clio: wild, very different
Trophy: it’s in a lower class of ‘sought after’ and more expensive though but does have a few bits that make it a bit more special than the standard 1*2

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
From the shows I've been to over the last few years it seems Renaultsport cars are losing their fan base. Even on social media the support seems to be lower than other makes. I just can't see there being the demand to justify high prices for any of the modern renaultsport cars in ten or so years. Mk2 focus RS's now out value Megane R26.R's. Surely that's only because theres more people who aspire to own one?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
From the shows I've been to over the last few years it seems Renaultsport cars are losing their fan base. Even on social media the support seems to be lower than other makes. I just can't see there being the demand to justify high prices for any of the modern renaultsport cars in ten or so years. Mk2 focus RS's now out value Megane R26.R's. Surely that's only because theres more people who aspire to own one?

Yep - the Clio Cup support races for the BTCC are being pulled in favour of Minis and the low position of Renault amongst the current F1 leaderboard, to name but two.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Renaultsport cars started loosing their fan base when the brand stopped giving a s**t about their fans!

Remember the director of renaultsport UK, Jeremy was on here and used to post (and get people giving him greif constantly due to their car being s**t and dealers shitter lol)

The renaultsport forum was busy with staff from RS on it, now it's dead.

MK4 Clio RS, I drive one and think it's the best RS Clio they made (excluding V6!) But the customers didn't want it they wanted manual and Renaultsport ignored them.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Renaultsport cars started loosing their fan base when the brand stopped giving a s**t about their fans!

Remember the director of renaultsport UK, Jeremy was on here and used to post (and get people giving him greif constantly due to their car being s**t and dealers shitter lol)

MK4 Clio RS, I drive one and think it's the best RS Clio they made (excluding V6!) But the customers didn't want it they wanted manual and Renaultsport ignored them.

The thing is most customers want autos now - not manuals. Just because a few select left foot breaking hero’s on here want a manual that is not an indication of what the majority of normal car buyers want. At the end of the day Renault are in the business of making money and they have to appeal to the larger audience.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So the question is with the R.S. 18 being limited to only 15 UK models will it be a future classic like the 182 Trophy

Bit like the initial Clio 200 EDC then, or was that just because they only sold 15 :ROFLMAO:

But in answer to your question, no. Generally, cars like the Trophy/CSL/V6 hold their value because they were engineer built cars, not marketing ones.

The Megane R26R/Trophy holds it value very well. The Megane Redbull F1 edition does not.

Jeremy was a really sound bloke. Very helpful and interested in what you were asking.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The thing is most customers want autos now - not manuals. Just because a few select left foot breaking hero’s on here want a manual that is not an indication of what the majority of normal car buyers want. At the end of the day Renault are in the business of making money and they have to appeal to the larger audience.

In larger cars people do, but in small hatchbacks people still want a manual gearbox.
Fiesta ST is a prime example, it's the class leader and it comes with a manual box.

Besides the gearbox in the 200 was utter rubbish as well, sorted out in the 220 trophy but it shouldn't have been that bad in the first place.
IMO the 220 Trophy should have been the base model at launch, that would have been a much better contender.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Indeed, that's why I own one, as I wanted a 5 door auto. But you just have to read the press reviews not only was a select few left foot breaking hero's on here disappointed but the motoring press didn't receive it well. Now 50% of that was due to the fact the box just wasn't upto the job and 50% of it was due to the fact it was auto and messed with the recipe so to speak.

Looking at the more mature hot hatches with autos like the golf GTi/R there would appear to be more autos sold than manuals, as the golf has always been the jack of all trades hot hatch and an auto is nice to live with every day, padles when you want a bit of fun.

But the hot Clio was never about being nice to live with it was always about being razor sharp, uncompromised.

Had they offered it in manual and auto they would have looked after their existing hardcore fans who were "left foot breaking heroes" who were struggling to deal with turbo power and 5 doors as it is, and the auto would be there for their new customers who were looking for somthing a bit different to the usual German alternative.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
sides the gearbox in the 200 was utter rubbish as well, sorted out in the 220 trophy but it shouldn't have been that bad in the first place.
IMO the 220 Trophy should have been the base model at launch, that would have been a much better contender.
This 100% by the time the 220 came I think it was too late the damage was done and most of the press didn't even bother testing it!

Good for us though as the depreciated like a stone and are rare, I love mine! I had a fiesta st for the weekend when my mate was away on holiday and it's a great car but I've never been happier to get back into the 220

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Plus it would have been big kudos for Renault at launch, the Fiesta ST at the time was actually rated at 180bhp, with a short-term 20bhp overboost feature.

It would have been a big headline grabber if Renault rolled out something with 20% more grunt that it's rival.