ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Hillclimb / Sprint Car

Nice, I'm hoping to do my first sprint on 15th June but entries are low so it might get canned :-(

Where did you get you ign on-off sticker, that is so much nicer than the one I have.

As for timing strut, today I've fitted a couple of M6 rivnuts into the bumper hidden behind the number plate that will allow me to bolt on/off as needed. I did consider going the velcro route but wasn't sure it'll hold, so I'll be interested to see how you get on.

IMG_2843.jpg

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I will be there on the 26th so will come and say hello, cant remember what number I am, 54 maybe!

I cant get in on June 9th, Its my wifes birthday and I have organised my holiday around it so am gutted its full. I am 5th reserve but cant see it going down to that!

Ah no it takes bit of getting used to the whole entry processing and different clubs / organisers I've missed 2 already and was hoping to make remaining 7 but sounds like I might have missed cuts for future races already. I've filled all paperwork and sent cheques/bank transfers but not heard back other than 26th.

Will come and say hello on Sunday lots to get head around organised so can relax and have fun driving

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
Enjoy ..it's very addictive ..I did Loton park on sat/Sun and shaved nearly 3 seconds off last yrs time ..all I've changed is two front ball joints , some rear bushes and got the tracking done ..didn't realise how bad it was driving until I'd had those done..?

Well, I've had a great day. Everybody was really friendly and happy to chat and give advice. Some brilliant cars from the minis to jedis to owner built single seaters to @donnylad awesome mod prod version of my car to see what could do if chose to in future. Good to chat to you and @Mr Burns who were both quick too!

In terms of my runs, its was damp at first and steady away 89 seconds first practice, second practice dropped that to 83, then has some of the good food at the cafe before both championship race runs coming in 76 seconds. In second race run was trying 2nd through long first left and maybe should have gone for 3rd as felt quicker elsewhere but overall times were the same.

A great first day, felt like I was just enjoying it without thinking too much but at next event on 9th going to really try to focus on how I'm driving as plenty more time to find. Finished 7th out of 9 in class, think top 5 were all Clio 200s so cliosport being represented well!

Armchairracer

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 1
Well done ..first ones over , sky's the limit now ..in car camera is a good addition if you don't already have one ..you can watch again and again and see where you can improve etc ..and post on you tube to show off your best runs etc ..

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Well done! Which layout was it today, figure of eight?

In second race run was trying 2nd through long first left and maybe should have gone for 3rd as felt quicker elsewhere but overall times were the same.
I think I stay in 2nd through there; it's just about on the limiter before you turn-in, but the lower gear gives you more control into and through the corner. My usual rule of thumb is, where it's borderline which gear you should be in, stay in the one you're in. Corner entry is really important and you're better off concentrating on that rather than changing gear.

My diary seems to be stopping me getting to Curborough this year, maybe only the double header in October. Annoying.

Yeah was figure of 8, want to go out again and try different lines. I see what you mean if not hitting limiter no need to change.

I'd like to get a GoPro to look back and analyse previous runs (birthday coming up so returning my mrs normal tactic of unsubtle hinting ;)).

What was supposed to be 10 minute job took forever! Fitted new front wheel arch liners 3 screws 2 fur tree clips and 1 clip on easy... but didnt realise all old screws rusted in and had to faff with hacksaw wd40 and pliers but it's done now and aux belt looks a lot more protected at least before next race on Sunday!

Yu8lE5k.jpg
NHwN4b8.jpg

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
I didn't know they still sold them brand new. May have to do a buy...

Second race update, another fun day matched my previous fastest 76 seconds in first practice, got 74.3 in second practice and so feeling confident went for it in race timed run... too confident big spin on to grass sideways dug in, up on 2 wheels, sky at 45 degree angle then thankfully landed back on wheels.

Back to paddock for check over and change of pants. Thankfully no damage just tyres/rim eaten a lot of mud and grass. Final run was a 78 as just wanted to log a race time.

Go again next Sunday! Considering if need to get some PS3s as the Yoko S Drive starting to look at bit tired, already pretending to be racing driver making up excuses about tyres fault ?

PS3s ordered, 85 a corner inc fitting tomorrow, couple of days to scrub in before next race on Sunday. A photographer caught my big moment so buying the photo off him just waiting for it to be sent through then will share here.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I have some scrubbed in PS3's you could of borrowed for the day to see what you thought. I was going to sell them but decided to keep for extra days and not wear my khumos!

I thought the PS3's were decent though.

See you Sunday, double lapper should be good!

Cheers for offer mate I forget should ask you first as you'd built up from standard, seems like it was only choice from 1a list in 16's so I've stuck Yokos up for sale as perfectly fine for road.

Looking forward to double lap especially braking into 1st corner of second lap from full speed down main straight.

Dont tempt me mate, it could be an expensive winter if I start modifying after this season, no heating allowed in house, beans on toast every day for kids and lots of shiny car parts arriving in post :LOL:

This doesn’t fill me with confidence, just packing up for my 5am start down to Lydden Hill in the morning ?

One question for you guys, any thoughts on tyres pressures, I’m running PS3 16s

That's mental! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I guess that's at the cross-over, the right-left heading back towards the start?
Yeah that's the one, it was a really good lap until I went in too keen, too much speed/curb and out of balance then oversteer and from that point I was just a passenger. Looks dramatic with it having been wet dug into grass. I've got the PS3s on now just scrubbing them in today/tomorrow hopefully a good Sunday. It's the 2 lap course so not done that before.

This doesn’t fill me with confidence, just packing up for my 5am start down to Lydden Hill in the morning ?

One question for you guys, any thoughts on tyres pressures, I’m running PS3 16s
You'll be fine mate this was my 7th timed lap so second race day, I'd got bit too keen too soon.

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
You're really inspiring me to do the Curborough championship next year.

It's a venue which I haven't sussed yet, but the top SC times look very challenging to get near. Also really good to see a healthy SC entry, often it's just me in the South-west.

Sc is a really tough class talking 5/6 racers in Clio 200 Cups / Fiesta STs who are doing figure of 8 in 69secs all with years of experience on this track. They are a really good bunch, my aim is to try to get amongst them once by end of season, that would feel like winning in a different class.

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I've managed a 69.95s Fig.8 on my first visit to Curborough... but your class winner last weekend did a 68.61... not sure that's do-able but I'd love to try!

The Fiestas seem faster than they should be. On paper they're a lot slower than the Clio, but they seem very fast at hillclimbs and the slower sprints like Curb. Maybe the gear ratios are better suited, the Clios ratios are quite long.

Yeah it was your lap times I'd seen had given me hope ;) . So I know the car is capable and it's just about me learning to drive quick.

It is a weird one with the Fiesta STs they have a lot of grip so must be that and gearing I guess. A lot of the guys in 200 Cups used to have 172/182s and moved up for grip/gearing/brakes and better choice of tyres. But I couldn't buy a 200 Cup for £1800 :)

Third sprint done yesterday no big dramas and mixed bag of on and off rain, got 3 race runs in afternoon as not as many competitors. It was the 2 lap course but could only manage 3 x low 74s so finished 5th in class, so guess that makes it a 7th, 6th and 5th so far, just need to keep that going, maybe easier said than done in this class!

I realised on first practice car still feels more unstable when push on, then creaking noise on way back to paddock and found my left rear shock is dead, can bounce the car by hand, add to that both front left and rear right springs are non OEM mismatched so bit of a mixed bag suspension setup I have at minute. If funds allow might have to refresh the lot. Only £120 for new 172 Cup dampers all round from Renault not bad but springs are no longer available. I chatted to Championship organiser on what my options are so going to try to find some second hand (already put wanted post up) otherwise Eibach ProLine I think are nearest to OEM (same load roughly and very close to stock height but progressive wound) it's hard decision as then not standard (dont want to cheat) but it's that or some random generic springs from likes of GSM that likely not Cup spec and dont want to be leaning on crap springs - see pictures above)!

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I replace my struts and rear dampers every other year, it's daft not to at the price they are. I've got a supply in readiness for the day that Renault stops selling them! You can change the rears without even taking the wheels off...

Interesting to know that the springs are no longer available. Have you tried KTec? Their parts chap seems able to get things from France that are no longer available through UK dealers.

The SC regs are a bit tricky in terms of replacement parts. It's surprising how quickly people can become very competitive and willing to challenge stuff if someone in the class is winning with a suspect car. A bloke in my (Welsh) championship last year turned up with Ohlins coilovers on his 'standard' MX5, but he was so far off the pace we all took the piss rather than crying to the stewards. Not sure how I'd feel if I was beaten by someone with Eibach springs though; the Cup understeers a bit too much for my liking but it is what it is and I live with it... don't know whether different springs would address that but I think it's only natural to feel a bit peeved if you're beaten by someone with mods, however small.

Cheers Rob yeah my thinking is same just want to do right thing and as far as I can keep it standard. I've emailed a couple of websites that say they can get original parts from France no longer in UK dealer network so will try calling Ktec tomorrow too got 4 weeks to next rest so bit of a window to sort it, worst case I sort shocks only(y)

To update I've called Renault dealers UK and France, Renault Parts Direct, Ktec, Kamskill, RenParts and other breakers put wanted ads on here and Facebook, to confirm 172 Cup springs no longer made or stocked anywhere. I found a spring company in Sheffield who can make one from one of my OEM ones for roughly £60 each but would be 3/4 weeks as busy so car would be off the road and miss races and spend money that should have been race fees!

So I'm going to just get new rear dampers only, check alignment and stick with what I have on springs for rest of season. At end of season can decide if want to go coilovers and 1c, or get new springs made refresh the lot to stay in standard.

Well piss soaked through to the bone laid on drive but shiny new rear Cup dampers are on to replace the monroe? ones that were pretty sure I have a different setup on each corner :LOL: and booked in to Roddisons tomorrow morning to sort alignment ahead of 14th June