ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 172 cup, sprinting one day??

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I know this thread and my car will probably seem a bit s**t, but when I look at so many amazing threads on here they normally start the same with a standardish car etc.

My aim is to eventually move into sprinting as a road modified and then after that fully modified with cage etc.

So I purchased this car the first week of march.

I went to look at it, I was after a meg 225 but it was out of budget at the time I was after something. Car seemed great, few scratches and small niggles but nothing major, the drive home from Newcastle was fine. Apart from he noise! I thought my head was going to implode!

I was told the car had the following:

cammed engine
matched inlets
larger throttle body
KTEC exhaust with decat
ASH and ramair induction set up
New powerflex engine mounts
Solid top mounts
cup shcoks eibach springs
polybushed ARB's and dogone
16" turinis with toyo proxes
OMP wheel and boss
182 xenons
rear wiper delete

remapped to 193.7bhp

I didn't actually know what was true but I paid the same as a standard version so wasn't too fussed either way to be honest. It felt great! quicker then I expected. not super fast but fun fast!

The first thing I did was drop the oil, fit a new filter and put some good shell helix oil in.

I also changed the coolant and fitted a new bottle as the old one looked terrible!

I am quite lucky to have a place to work on my cars, it is my uncles business but I get pretty much free reign there. (I run it, he is semi retired etc)

I posted a picture online and was told the fuel rail guard is missing, and that it is quite important. next job would be to look for one of those!

Also the seat levers were disconnected. so I had to remove the seat and reattach then re fit the seat, after doing the drivers one I could see how they worked etc so saved time by managing to fit the passengers without removing it.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I found a fresly powder coated fuel rail guard on ebay, purchased it but when I went to fit it yesterday I realized one of the bolts was snapped. You can just make it out in the above photo the left one is missing.

I went into the tool room, found a long piece of M8 thread, found a decent washer and was about to start welding when I decided to check ebay and picked up 2 x new bolts for 6 quid. now worth me messing about for that! so they got ordered.

Looks nice a shiny though!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I have noticed that the cars revs are bleeding terrible! it jumps from 600-1k all the time, the odd time on full lock when really slow, parking etc, it has cut out!

today it started cutting out all the time, stopping in traffic etc etc. I did a search on here and facebook and google and saw there were many things it could be. I decided to do the cheapest first. I went to bullseye for some carb cleaner to do the throttle body. Upon driving there the car developed a missfire and a light came with, sort of a square box with a heart monitor in it??

I ran over the road to the garage aftera facebook post or 2 asking for help, he plugged it in and had missfire across multiple cylinders. He wasnt 100% sure what it was. So I ordered new plugs, leads and coil pack.

I set to work getting them changed, never done it before on a clio 172 but got there in the end.

Luckily my socket set has a long 16mm socket required for the job. all the other bolts are the 10mm.

I stripped everything, noticing a few things. My coil pack was held in with 2 bolts only, so I need to get 2 more. I am also missing 2 rear bolts for the inlet manifold, I will get these asap as well.

couple pictures of the job being done:

Looking at the manifold id say there has been 0 porting, polishing or matching done to either side, so that seems to have been a lie??
I maybe wrong and will eat my words if so, finish is small pitted like a shot blast / cast / spark erosion finish.

and lastly this is the TB, I am not sure if this is standard or not? If anyone can comment on that or put me straight that would be brilliant. I should of measured but had left my vernier in the other toolroom and was in a rush.

Sorry for the waffle and thanks for reading / skimming through etc!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
This was my spark plugs that I removed.

I dont know if cylinders are numbered like this but, standing looking at the engine bay from the front of the car, left being 1 then 2 3 4 etc.

Number 3 is very black?! and the shaft is very oxidized or weathered too? could this be a dodgy injector?

I jumped on the PMS group buy, my shifter will be here tomorrow and hopefully I can get it fitted Saturday.

I have booked into RS tuning in Leeds tomorrow for a power run with AFR to see how its actually running and if the map is any god or shite etc.

I will update when I get back from that.

One other thing I have learnt about the car is the tyres! Toyo proxes T1Rhave to be the worst thing ever made! in the dry yeah thats fine, but in the wet, damp or if someone spits on the road and you go over it pluck me they are so crap its unreal! I am on the lookout for some light 15" alloys and will be getting tyres according to list 1A in the MSA blue book.

RS 172
Throttle body looks standard to me.

Good start with this car. Should be good fun to follow.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
well set off to RS tuning and the car died a few times this morning before I had even set off.

Called at my mates to pick his fault reader up, no stored codes.

Set off to Leeds, got 5 miles in and had to pull over, in limp mode, electrical fault light, and engine check light. fault code was saying throttle pedal sensor.

reset it carried on, the electric light came on 5-6 times but no EML, I just turned it off and on quick to reset it to keep going.

I arrived at RS tuning, they plugged it into there diagnostic and commented the throttle body didnt sound right, it was making a whining noise.

I posted on facebook for a new one within the leeds area hoping to go get it fit it and do a dyno run!

no look but the ol owner saw my post and asked why I was changing the TB as it had a larger TB on. I said it was broken apparently, I also told him what RS tuning had said. This was the TB was standard, the car didn't have cams or had never been remapped as it had 1 flash on the system which would be from the factory. He said its probably runing around 160 bhp.

He could be right, I really don't know. I have never driven a standard one so am not sure at all.

The previous owner claims they are talking s**t and send me his map and video of it being RR'd 1 week before I purchased it.

then the previous owner before him popped up sending me messages, he also sent me his RR printout from a different place all together.

So I don't know whoos wrong, guessing or lying here.

I am going to look for a second hand throttle body, and see if it makes any difference, but after leaving RS tuning in Leeds it hasnt cut out once and has ran great!

It certainly isnt down on power, I put my foot down a little and flew to 120+

Anyone have thought on it all??!!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
This was my spark plugs that I removed.

I dont know if cylinders are numbered like this but, standing looking at the engine bay from the front of the car, left being 1 then 2 3 4 etc.

Number 3 is very black?! and the shaft is very oxidized or weathered too? could this be a dodgy injector?

I jumped on the PMS group buy, my shifter will be here tomorrow and hopefully I can get it fitted Saturday.

I have booked into RS tuning in Leeds tomorrow for a power run with AFR to see how its actually running and if the map is any god or shite etc.

I will update when I get back from that.

One other thing I have learnt about the car is the tyres! Toyo proxes T1Rhave to be the worst thing ever made! in the dry yeah thats fine, but in the wet, damp or if someone spits on the road and you go over it pluck me they are so crap its unreal! I am on the lookout for some light 15" alloys and will be getting tyres according to list 1A in the MSA blue book.
Number 1 is the gearbox side.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
think I have them the wrong way round them? I am sure the gearbox is on the right of the engine as i look at it from the front of the car.

Just been out and done 15 miles in stopo start and some foot down and its ran 100% perfect, yet I have done nothing from when it ran like shite this morning.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
think I have them the wrong way round them? I am sure the gearbox is on the right of the engine as i look at it from the front of the car.

Just been out and done 15 miles in stopo start and some foot down and its ran 100% perfect, yet I have done nothing from when it ran like shite this morning.
You're right, the gearbox is on the RHS. It still doesn't change the fact that number one is on the right.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
So I went to GR Performance today in Mexborough, they specialize in evos and Jap cars but it was only for a power run and AFR check.

the car made 190BHP, was really happy with the run. I mentioned the old plugs and they said to get either a new set of injectors or have them all flow tested.

at £140 a set its not worth testing and I will just fit a brand new set.

This car according to RS tuning is totally standard apart from an induction kit and exhaust, load of b****cks!

I heard so many good reviews about RS tuning. I certainly wont be going back, and will advise others of the same!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
fitted the PMS short shifter from the group buy earlier!

WOW! what a difference!! im not sure how juch shorter it is but definitely feels shorter, the main thing is how precise it is, it was hard going into gear before and I had to double check it was in sometimes, not its perfect, works great and gives so much more confidence when driving!

Will add a pic tomorrow.

Me and a mate did it on some raps and took us 2 hours 15 fir a first ever try, pretty sure could do it all in 1.30 on ramps again etc easy.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Couple of things. Sounds like rs tuning didn't actually do a power run unless I've read it wrong, and a bigger tb on a Clio adds zero power.

Only ever heard good things of rs tuning .

Good luck with the build

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah no they didnt do a power run as i developed a problem which they diagnosed as the TB. That wasnt there fault at all, just sods law!

But the chap told me he was sure it had never been mapped. He said he was pretty sure it didnt have cams, and the best bit that it would be 160bhp. He had never driven it or anything but said it would be 160bhp. Thats the main part that put me off tbh! I even showed him the old rr printout for 193 bhp. He said that wasnt right or not real. I agreed with him at the time as that was plausible. But i don’t really know anything about the cars, and he was meant to be the expert. Suppose we all get stuff wrong at times though.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
well after a couple of weeks of looking for some 15" wheels and being offered second hand sets with minor marks for £300 I decided to order a brand new set from rimstock with the correct centre bore.
Just need the tyres now!

I have ordered Pilot sport 3's, £220 for a set of 4.

Looking forward to a test day at Curborough in June now!

I have also booked onto the Sprint school there for extra tuition and will do 1 championship sprint later this year to pop my cherry ready for next year!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
tyres came, so got them fitted and banged on the car!

not a great picture I know, will get some decent ones one day!

Attachments

• IMG_1409 (1).JPG
    IMG_1409 (1).JPG
    433 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1416.JPG
    IMG_1416.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 171

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
So a little update.

I had the car rolling roaded but the RR bloke said he thought it had an injector issue that might be holding it back a little.

I was still happy with the result, but would of liked to have seen a few more bhp to match the other graphs I have for the car, its only 3-4 bhp out though.

Here is the graph

Attachments

• IMG_0934 (1).JPG
    IMG_0934 (1).JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 219

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I then ordered a full set of injectors from Renparts, around £130 so not expensive really, althought I was tempted to change the one I thought was going to be bad anyway due to the spark plug.

Dead easy to fit, I just followed this guide .

The injector I thought was bad, definitely was, it was crack very badly.

It has made it run a lot better, it still has a missfire when cold when on very light throttle around 1500 rpm, I have read on the forum that can be quite normal though!

My TB makes a hell of a noise,it is clicking and humming, so as RS tuning advised I have ordered a TB.

I then fitted the front tow hook and sticker.

I have stripped the rear seats out, with the aim to fully remove all rear trim and a lot of the front trim.

I have just joined the markfish R022 rollcage group buy with a rear cage option 2.

I also ordered myself a set of racing gloves for when on track at I find this steering wheel to be terrible with sweaty hands. I decided to go for these, in blue to match the car!

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/race-gloves/sparco-land-rg-3-1-race-gloves

I have just nipped to the lads next door (scrap yard) and had the car weighed. I filled up to the redline with v power this morning so my tank is literally as full as can be, the weight of the car (without my lard arse) 998kg - 1000kg (was flickering between but settles at 1000kg)

Very happy with that, a lot more trim to come out, plus passenger seat on race days.

Car is looking like this now

I am at Curborough this weekend to watch and hopefully meet a few people / check their cars out. I will then be on the track a week later for the day practising.

I have spoken to Ben at GSM performance in nottingham in regards to going down and trying on and getting a helmet, race suit etc and maybe a hans device.

I also noticed last night that one of the engine mount bolts on the drivers sound isnt doing anything, I can literally pull it out. The thread has gone out of the ally casting which i believe is the cambelts cover? I am hoping to sort this tomorrow, or at least see what i need to do to sort it.

Next thing to do is to look into what airbags a 172 cup has, and get them removed, keep removing the trim, paint the brake calipers and sort the engine mount.

Thanks for reading!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Managed to sort the engine mount.

I put a jack under the sump with a piece of wood to hold it up, I then removed the bolt and engine mount.

Drilled and tapped the hole for the helicoil and inserted it.

Refitted it all and good as new!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
my front suspension look a bit s**t.

not sure if its standard or not but its weeping a very little bit at the top, the rubber cover at the bottom is just doing nothing and could be pulled out etc.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Well this weekend i was at curborough practising.

We have to use the middle gate not the bottom one for H&S reasons, so the times are no use to compare etc as no one does that loop.

The track was a 3 lap with figure of eight, this meant starting at the side gate,
straight into turn one
through the chicane
round the top corner and all the way down the straight
doing the same outer lap again
cross right into the middle
around turn one the wrong way
halfway down the straight
turn left onto outer edge
round the last bend and down across the line.

Cant remember my exact time but I think it was 1.32 something

Fastest thing there on the day was a 500bhp ford KA this was in the 1.31's
I was also beat my 2 x quite new focus ST's, one running around 330 the other 380. they were both in the 1.32's

Really enjoyed the day, great atmosphere and plenty of track time. I think I went out about 10-12 times so 30-36 laps really. Not bad for £70!

The car ran well apart from a few hiccups, I have a new TB here but didn't fit it last week, due to the car running great, half way through what felt like my fastest lap it went into limp mode! plugged it in and throttle pedal sensor circuit A.

I will change the TB test it then order a pedal / sensor if needed.

The main problem I had was A. my driving, it needs work! I am booked in for some tuition later in the year etc, and B the handling (prob not helped by my driving) the car was on 2-3 wheels a lot, and I was finding coming out of some corners to much power just left the wheel spinning until it gripped, in hindsight I should have probably used less thttle out of the corners but it was my first proper time on track, and I was loving it!

had 2 near offs through the middle chicane, prob going through it at 60, tapping the brakes to try and straighten the car has the opposite effect!

I have a couple of pictures and a small video I am waiting to be sent to me then I will try and get them uploaded.

I am wanting to sort the handling so it will be more competitive in next years championship, although I am tempted to do a sprint this year just to give me a time to compare it to. I have started This Thread to try and get answers and understand how to set a car up and what various parts do etc.

Front tyres certainly took a beating, the car help up great! the front passenger break was smoking very badly at one point but it was my fault for not going the long way round and trying to do 85-86mph -20 in no time at all.

Crossing the line my speedo was reading 90 MPH, I used a GPS app at one point but my highest on that was 87.1 and 84.7 I think.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
First things, new throttle body and car is running the best its ever run (touches wood). I did some speed trap test as comparisons and its only 4mph away from my 340bhp impreza managed on the same stretch of road! god knows how, must just be because its so good to drive and feels planted in the corners!

Thought I would share a couple of pics from the track.

Heres me looking cool as pluck!!

And I think this is one of my favourites, even though it shows nothing :p

Was a great day, just need to watch what i spend for a couple of months now and then I will start getting the rest of the stuff ready for next season.

Oh I got a massive chip on the windscreen, its cracked too so needs replacing, £80 bloody quid! all from a stone flicking up from a van!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Well its beena while since I updated. I kept the car pretty much as it was and fully road legal to enable me to drive to Curborough for the sprint school.

I feel the day was very good, well run and 100% worth the cost. Yes I would get a lot more runs on a normal track day, but stuff like walking the track and cones for the turn in points and apexes. The blokes running it are record holders their, or where. The morning was good weather and the afternoon was very wet with standing water.

A vast array of cars from a Aston Vanquish, clios, fiat 500 Abarth, imprezas, morgans and more.

I added a couple of vids to my youtube of me trying to learn the track and correct lines, although it wasnt all plain sailing as I seemed to really stay on the correct lines, I am blaming my driving and the tyres haha! Plus the suspension is shot, I can push the car down with 1 hand on all sides no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq1thrEVg8PC0LDlCGMpQEg?view_as=subscriber

Since then I have taken the car off of the road to start the work on it. I have removed a lot of the interior, seats, electric windows, wing mirrors, front glass and all carpets.

Hoping to get the dash out this week, plus head unit and airbags etc. They I will trial fit the cage, and look what metal I can cut away from the doors, bonnet and boot lid.

I have also removed and sold the headlights and purchased fibreglass blanks. I will be doing the same for the rears.

I feel a realistic figure to hit by testing in march will be 920KG with the cage and seat etc all fitted.

The suspension hasnt been ordered yet, just waiting on 1-2 mor eprices then I will place my order, will be going with BC DS 10kg fronts and 8kg rears.

Here's a pic of the car as it is.

IMG_2337.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

I have decided not to fit my track door cards as its just weight i don't need, I have asked Simon if he does returns, if not i will be selling them.

I will try and keep this updated where possible, although I have made a Facebook page for people to follow the progress easily.

https://www.facebook.com/MFRacing172

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Not been much in the way of updates for this.

The cage is fitted and finished (just need to under seal where its been welded).

I am making some mounts for the seat as its quite wide it hits the cage so I need to move it closer to the handbrake.

Suspension is here, in the end i went with BC DS with 10kg front 8kg rear springs and the top mounts. They are not fitted yet though.

Started taking the windows out to replace with polys, not too hard but still a shite job!

I will get a proper update posted over Christmas, I have a full page of work that needs to be done by Feb to apply for my log book.

Also filled out the form for my license, so need to get that posted today!, exciting times as its my first one!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
just a few pics for updates.

Fitted the suspension

IMG-20181230-105222.jpg

IMG-20181230-104509.jpg

Cleaned and painted the calipers just so they look fresh and I had a spare hour.

IMG-20190110-162111.jpg

Sprayed the fibreglass headlight blanks fitted

IMG-20190112-105357.jpg

IMG-20190116-133603.jpg

Also cut a hole to let air get straight to the filter.

IMG-20190117-161327.jpg

IMG-20190112-121522.jpg

I then started cutting the doors and fitted one of the polycarb windows. I will do the passenger side and rears tomorrow hopefully.

Then it will be time to get the holesaw out and try and save a little weight.

IMG-20190118-162829.jpg

IMG-20190118-162842.jpg

First sprint is March 24th at Curborough and the first championship sprint is April 27th.

First or last it will be awesome fun, but I would happily settle for anything middle of the field as a first year and although will enjoy it even if I am last, I would feel a little disappointed in myself. Not that I should as these guys have been racing there for years taking time of of their laps etc.

I cant afford to go for the Avon A15's at £1200 a set this year so have opted for a Khumo V70A and see how i get on with those.

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
Update:

I have just took the car to the weigh bridge and it weighed in at 930KG.

I will try to loose another 30-35 KG just to get into the 800's, but mainly so when my fat 108KG arse is in it it still comes in under 1 tonne!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
After some unexpected bills unsure I can stretch to some khumo V70's for march, if not will go with the PS3's it currently has on.

I will have to sort the tyres for april then, its only a test day anyway.

Jobs still left to do are:

Fit the cut off switch/pull chord and stickers
sticker for ignition off
tape over battery terminal earth
cut and make / fit a dash to hold the speedo
make a plate to hold the fan control for windscreen demist
change gearbox oil
make a plastic sheet for bottom of engine / engine tray
check oil and coolant levels
sort fuel out
finish log book forms and take pictures to take with me, the local scrutineer will be there and can do my log book on the day.
take car to get four wheel alignment done.

I think thats it, unless im missing anything

two weeks to sort the lot, including being busy at work, backs bolloxed, grandads funeral next week and a 3 year old to entertain!

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I am so bad at updating things here sorry! (I doubt anyone actually reads these anyway???!!!)

Since my last update i have done all the above jobs apart from an undertray which I didnt bother with. I will do this when I get time to see if it help with aero, not that ill know!

I am running khumo V70A tyres. supersofts on the rear and softs on the front.

I have picked up a first place and two second places so far, putting me top of my class in the championship after 3 rounds!

Really loving the sport, I am having problems with the car dropping out of gear but cant afford to do a rebuild of the gearbox until next year, unless it properly goes then Ill have to sort something!

Most progress can be found here https://www.facebook.com/pg/MFRacing172/posts/?ref=page_internal

I will get some updated pics of the car when i can, I plan to do some more free weight removal in June when we have a 4 week break, and also install a light weight battery.

I may keep an eye out for a 2nd hand box.