ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

private plate letter spacing

RB 182
Hi all. Got pulled by police yesterday for letter spacing on my plate. full sized plate with standard fonts but traffic cop said they are having a crack down on these. got £30 fine and told to change in 7 days. was more annoyed that he didnt pull the chavs in the battered saxo that sped past us before whilst he was following me. just thought i'd let you know incase any of you have slightly dubious spacing on your plates. although on the upside of things i did get to sit in his focus rs( black with extra lights in front window and next to front fogs for anyone in middlesbrough)

on the look out
pic.php
[/URL][/IMG]http://www.cliosport.net/forum/www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6384669

Last edited:
  RB 182
if you have a look on my profile you'll see a pic of mine. although the traffic cop said he had no problem reading it, the automatic vehicle recognition system (cameras used for car tax at side of road) wouldnt be able to pick it up. i better not let my wife see your plate as she'll bug me to get her ones like it to

on the look out
the plate is my wifes (beck) was going to sell it but thought na stick it on the cup lol . we have had no problems with traffic police down our way

nice plate you got fella on a nice car

RB 182
lol thats my wifes name and since i got mine she wants one. better not show her yours. had it on about 6 months or so now, been followed laods by police with no problems and never been pulled. even the police special branch had a look at it for me and said it'll be ok so i think the guy who pulled me was just having one of those days. as he was taking pics of my plates after he'd written out my fixed penalty i was having a look around his car and i he wasnt too happy when i suggested he get a new front tyre as this on was past its tread wear indicators

Dynamique+ 1.4
lol thats my wifes name and since i got mine she wants one. better not show her yours. had it on about 6 months or so now, been followed laods by police with no problems and never been pulled. even the police special branch had a look at it for me and said it'll be ok so i think the guy who pulled me was just having one of those days. as he was taking pics of my plates after he'd written out my fixed penalty i was having a look around his car and i he wasnt too happy when i suggested he get a new front tyre as this on was past its tread wear indicators
You shoulda gone down the cop shop and said ive just been pulled for having my plates illegally spaced and the car that pulled me had an illegal tyre. Sort it.:mad:

*apparently* if a police car has a problem that wont allow it to pass an MOT the driver has about as much legal power as a goldfish. from what iv been told the car is 'unfit of her majesty's service and shouldn't be on the road'

*apparently*

if you have a look on my profile you'll see a pic of mine. although the traffic cop said he had no problem reading it, the automatic vehicle recognition system (cameras used for car tax at side of road) wouldnt be able to pick it up.
Your plate has incorrect spacing and you've blocked out part of the zero with a fixing to make a 'C'. Surprised yuo haven't been stopped sooner.

al

ST on the way...
Guessing it's supposed to be S500 TTN?

profilepic19153_1.gif

Don't forget if your caught a certain number of times the DVLA can confiscate the plate with no refund.

I think most police have a brain and realise that a numberplate spaced to read a proper word will be more memorable than the usual random collection of letters, therefore they let them go.

Not being funny, but is it any wonder you got pulled with that plate ??

It's seriously illegal.

Also the cop had a Focus RS ?? a black one ?
They only came in Blue.

RB 182
Your plate has incorrect spacing and you've blocked out part of the zero with a fixing to make a 'C'. Surprised yuo haven't been stopped sooner.[/QUOTE]

i know it has but you'd think i'd have been pulled by the first police car that followed me and not 6 months later. it just seemed a b it random that he did and the other dozen or so didnt. Yeah it is spaced to spell my name and has my initials at either end but its a correctly sized plate with legal fonts so i thought it was a bit harsh. As for the DVLA taking the plate back off you thats right according to the traffic cop that pulled me. I think he said next time it will be reported to them and they deal with it at they see fit

RB 182
Not being funny, but is it any wonder you got pulled with that plate ??

It's seriously illegal.

Also the cop had a Focus RS ?? a black one ?
They only came in Blue.

sorry it was an ST not the rs. was very nice though for you works run about

RB 182
just out of interest, what are the legal requirements for letter spacing on number plates?

not exactly sure but with mine he said it had to be S500 TTN with space in the middle and nowhere else, plus can't put a screw through any of the letters

Der Panzer
If you can't do the time...

Personally I hate plates with anything but standard spacing.

RenaultSport 172.
*apparently* if a police car has a problem that wont allow it to pass an MOT the driver has about as much legal power as a goldfish. from what iv been told the car is 'unfit of her majesty's service and shouldn't be on the road'

*apparently*

Im 99.9% sure thats true...if theyre is ANYTHING at all wrong with their car, they cant bust you...

Da

Less
I don't think spacing is the main issue really here, it's manipulation to mis-represent a character on the vehicle registration.

I don't think spacing is the main issue really here, it's manipulation to mis-represent a character on the vehicle registration.

have to agree,you are giving a false plate out,if a camera recognises it it will believe it is a C therefore you are masking the cars actual plate avoiding any fines,etc for speeding!

Abarth Grande Punto
mine is in standard font and size but is miss-spaced only ever got pulled once for it. My argument is the fact i am not trying to make it illegable!

RB 182
That plate makes you look like a chav that's why he probably pulled you over looks rubbish.

i dont really think the number plate changes the appearance of the whole car to make it chav like. anyway its not the issue i just thought a £30 fine was too harsh for something so minor

Clio Sport 172 Cup
I also got pulled last month and got a £30 fine for my plates. I have the spacing incorrect and placed some of those coloured caps to make an "E" look like an "F" :eek: .

Took the caps off then put it in for its MOT and it failed on the plates, I then had to get the plates made up again!

Then a couple of days later I hear that someone else gets pulled for their plates, no fine, but was told to change them.

I thing there is to must inconsistency if you ask me.

Clio RS 200
I had mine for a year now and the police have always just smiled and nodded when they see it as if to say it ok....maybe i'm lucky and maybe because its my job...

DSC_0168.jpg

RB 182
I had mine for a year now and the police have always just smiled and nodded when they see it as if to say it ok....maybe i'm lucky and maybe because its my job...

DSC_0168.jpg

yours is pretty much similar to mine with the spacing so i guess its just as kev flint says and that the police are just too inconsistent witrh this. I'm changing mine over the weekend as its still the same now as when i got pulled but today i've had 2 police cars behind me and nothing.

RB 182
Lol buy a plate that legally says scotty or don't bother.

It might be minor but the laws the law unfortunately.

i agree the law is there for a reason but its got to be the same for everyone all the time. ah well not much i can do and i dont really want to get a big fine and plates taken off me so i'd better get some ordered. are the pressed metal french plates legal or not.

Clio RS 200

DSC_0168.jpg

yours is pretty much similar to mine with the spacing so i guess its just as kev flint says and that the police are just too inconsistent witrh this. I'm changing mine over the weekend as its still the same now as when i got pulled but today i've had 2 police cars behind me and nothing.

Same here I had a police car behind me last night and nothing and one park next to me in Tesco's car park this morning and saw me and nothing....I still waiting though.....

I know this threads about spacing but didnt want to create another thread for this small ( maybe stupid )question.

Had some plates made today;

Standard font , no border , no logos, no illigal spacing just plain.

Plate doesnt have BS number on. Is this a legal requirement? If it is , does that mean im gonna get pulled for illegal plates?

Cheers

RB 182
I know this threads about spacing but didnt want to create another thread for this small ( maybe stupid )question.

Had some plates made today;

Standard font , no border , no logos, no illigal spacing just plain.

Plate doesnt have BS number on. Is this a legal requirement? If it is , does that mean im gonna get pulled for illegal plates?

Cheers

no i wouldnt imagine you need this as i've had plates from dealers and they have had there name on it and no BS number on it at all. I think you will have no problem with them at all. when i got pulled on tuesday the cop didnt mention it at all