ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plated or Geared LSD for circuit race car?

A question often asked and answered on here I'm sure, but my thread search didn't come up with much.

For a circuit race car I'm pretty sure the answer is plated, and Gripper seems to be the most popular for Clios, but I would be really interested in opinions from those of you with race and track cars with any sort of LSD fitted.
Quaife would be easiest for me as they are local, but only seem to offer the geared option.
One of my biggest concerns is that if you lift the inner (unloaded) front wheel a geared LSD is a bit useless.
Also a number of my FWD hatch competitors in other marques, eg. Saxos, having run geared LSDs and then fitted Plated swear the difference is huge.
I don't have a problem with the harshness of a plated LSD as the car will hardly ever be driven on the road, and I know it will eventually need maintenance, however it does appear to be the far better option for a race car.

So two questions really:
Plated or Geared?
What make is best in either option?

Not much to ask really!

Many thanks, Andy

dan's cast offs.
a well set up gripper will be good, sadly there are some people who haven't got a clue how to set them up!!!!!

a well set up gripper will be good, sadly there are some people who haven't got a clue how to set them up!!!!!

Thanks for the reply

Looking at the Gripper website they will set it up for your preferred application, and if you are not happy they include a second set up as long as you return it within 30 days. Seems like the way to go. Just have to get the gearbox back in and out on track pretty quick!

I can supply and fit both of those diffs cheaper than anyone else mate. I can also supply a diffed and rebuilt 130 box if you’re interested?

Many thanks for the reply, Very interested and I will send a pm.
I'm so new to Clios that I'm not sure what a 130 gearbox is, but am happy to take your advice.

If you can do yuur own spannering get a gripper
If you can't, consider a quaife with a roll center correction kit form Mark in the above post

I'm only a basic spannerer I'm afraid, and the closest I've come to the gearbox is changing a clutch, and oil re-fill etc.
Given decent instructions I am tempted to go for the gripper and learn how to alter the set-up, which could be useful for different tracks in future.

Many thanks for the reply, Very interested and I will send a pm.
I'm so new to Clios that I'm not sure what a 130 gearbox is, but am happy to take your advice.

I've learnt something already today! Looks like a 130 is the OEM JC5 130
I read something about this not being what's fitted in a Cup?
My car is a 182, no mention of Cup on the car or any paperwork, but it did have Cup suspension fitted, identified by the spacing on the connection to the hub.
How would I identify the gearbox? I think the 182's are all the same, but the 172 Cup had a mechanical speedo drive, and that is a 129?

If someone could confirm I'd be grateful,

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've learnt something already today! Looks like a 130 is the OEM JC5 130
I read something about this not being what's fitted in a Cup?
My car is a 182, no mention of Cup on the car or any paperwork, but it did have Cup suspension fitted, identified by the spacing on the connection to the hub.
How would I identify the gearbox? I think the 182's are all the same, but the 172 Cup had a mechanical speedo drive, and that is a 129?

If someone could confirm I'd be grateful,
Right, so with your car being a 182, they all have the 130 box. The speedo reading is taken from the abs in the 182’s and late 172’s. However the 172 cup, and early ph2 172’s run the 129 box with a speedo drive on the gearbox. A 182 can run either the 089 found in the ph1 172, or the 129.

So a fair bit of time has passed and an update is due.
i went for the Gripper plated diff from Mark @NorthloopCup , it was a very good price but just as important the I didn't have to take my gearbox out and send it to him, the deal was for a reconditioned box supplied with the Gripper diff fitted, and set up for circuit racing.
The service was great, and on that basis alone I would highly recommend Mark. However there was a small issue with the work done by Gripper, but it was dealt with so professionally by Mark and Gripper that I would further endorse my recommendation. The test of good service is what happens when there's a problem, and these days I'm so used to suppliers trying to shirk their responsibility I was almost shocked by the rapid, honest and efficient way it was dealt with! No cost or inconvenience to me. So if you want a Gripper plated diff talk to @NorthloopCup !

As to the diff itself, the car is totally transformed.......why Renault didn't fit one or at least offer it in a 'supercup' version of the car is almost beyond belief! I guess I've been spoilt by Subaru who chucked just about everything race orientated onto the Impreza Spec C.
Putting power down as soon as you spot the corner exit is no problem at all, the power going to the loaded wheel means you can feel the car pulling through the corner, and that grip just loosens the rear enough to follow through without ant dramas. Feels fantastic.

I need to get some datalogging from Lydden Hill or Brands Indy to put figures on the improvement.
In the meantime I've had had the terrible chore of driving the Brands Hatch GP circuit! A real privilege these days, and although the little Clio was never going to compete with the 600bhp monsters, spaceframe racers, and other exotic machinery that made up the 45 car grid I found myself a bit of space and had some fun.....here's a couple of laps