ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pioneer Double DIN units - android auto only

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ok so 4 questions here - @ForceIndia you seem to know your stuff on these.

1. Pioneer units - what does AVH and SPH mean? AVH play dvd/cds as well as digital stuff?

2. I want a double din unit with removable face for security - is this actually any good? Do people still rob stereos?

3. Android Auto units - I'd really like one with a removable face. I am lost with all the complicated model names. Does anyone know of any particularly good ones that aren't mega bucks?

4. DAB - if you have android auto and so appradio, why would you need DAB?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
1. Don't know
2. Not really, because having screens in cars is the norm now, I think most thieves just assume any screen is built into the car and they won't just be able to go in and pull in out like you could with old single din units. It probably still happens, but I wouldn't let it worry me.
3. Can't recommend one, but as above, no real need for removable face.
4. You don't. Why would you listen to the radio when you can listen to whatever you want without interruption?

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
What's your budget? I'm also looking to buy an Android Auto unit after Christmas.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
What's your budget? I'm also looking to buy an Android Auto unit after Christmas.
300 to 400.

I'll hang on til the Xmas sales or see if any ex display come up on eBay.

If anyone wants a sphda230 for 300 I've got one reserved til Sunday. I don't think I'm gonna get it.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Make sure whatever you get has a capacitive touch screen (not resistive). Other than that get something with a half decent resolution and your phone will do the rest. Android Auto is great, although AA is also the system that I've had disconnects with. Every car I've ever used it on has suffered with it (have to unplug phone, replug, unplug, forget, replug, reconnect). Only once in a while but it's annoying AF.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Make sure whatever you get has a capacitive touch screen (not resistive). Other than that get something with a half decent resolution and your phone will do the rest. Android Auto is great, although AA is also the system that I've had disconnects with. Every car I've ever used it on has suffered with it (have to unplug phone, replug, unplug, forget, replug, reconnect). Only once in a while but it's annoying AF.
Ok will check that out. Shouldn't this get sorted with firmware updates etc?

I'm so clueless with all this tech

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Also, I noticed that Android auto only seems to link with Spotify. But loads of others are sprouting up now. YouTube music, Google play, etc. Is it limited to just Spotify so I'd have to open an account with them and not use my Google play?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ok will check that out. Shouldn't this get sorted with firmware updates etc?

I'm so clueless with all this tech

In theory... I know it doesn't help you since you have an Android and want Android auto.

For what it's worth I enjoy AA more than Apple Carplay, but I've never had a connection issue with Carplay even though it's wireless in the BMW!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Also, I noticed that Android auto only seems to link with Spotify. But loads of others are sprouting up now. YouTube music, Google play, etc. Is it limited to just Spotify so I'd have to open an account with them and not use my Google play?

You can use any service, even Apple Music. GPM works really well with AA.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Great thanks. I really need to have a play around with different units. I went into halfords and I might as well have been talking to a brick wall. No demo, no clue.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
What's the capacitive touch screen? A lot say they're the resistive

BMW M4; S1000 RR
What's the capacitive touch screen? A lot say they're the resistive

Capacitive is the type of touch screen technology your smart phone has. Resistive is the type of touch screen McDonalds ordering screens use (the ones where you need to use a finger nail, compared to just detecting touch). Cheaper units will all use resistive touch screens.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Capacitive is the type of touch screen technology your smart phone has. Resistive is the type of touch screen McDonalds ordering screens use (the ones where you need to use a finger nail, compared to just detecting touch). Cheaper units will all use resistive touch screens.
Looking at the units even the 700 quid ones use resistive?!

Don't have an issue with mine being resistive. Let's just say it's not worth the additional £££ just to use your finger.

Dan come and have a gander at mine if you're still not sure on the 8700.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Almost bought the Pioneer AVH-Z5100DAB on ebay with the 10% off deal, last night.

Android auto, DAB, CD/DVD, Bluetooth.
But instead put £200 towards my insurance bill, ha.

I'll buy something on boxing day, either a dirt cheap SPH DA230 which is bound to be in some sort of promo, or the AVH Z5100 if it's in a deal.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The DA230 is tried and tested and well regarded.
Yeah I reserved one but then realised no DVD or cd.

Not a big deal so whatever is the best deal on boxing day of the two or similar I'll get. Will give me something to do in my week off except eat sprouts.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Who uses discs any more? That's just wasting space that could be used for more screen.

If you really needed it you could probably hook up a disc drive to it and put it in the glovebox.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Who uses discs any more? That's just wasting space that could be used for more screen.
Meeeeeeee Ha.
Got loads of old cds, even bought one on the weekend.

When you lose signal then you're sorted

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
All Chinese to me. You can download them to play offline? Only works with the Spotify app - not like you're downloading an mp3?
The DA230 has the Spotify app. It's like downloading an mp3, but that mp3 is limited to Spotify only.

As someone who downloaded bucket loads of music for years, the second I changed to Spotify I can't imagine going back, it's just so convenient. In the car I use my phones hotspot for 4G, but keep some stuff downloaded in case. Spotify is good at caching etc though, so if you lose signal temporarily it'll keep on playing for a while. If you're gonna listen to some things a lot, like your favourite classic albums then you can download them on Wifi to save data etc.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
The DA230 has the Spotify app. It's like downloading an mp3, but that mp3 is limited to Spotify only.

As someone who downloaded bucket loads of music for years, the second I changed to Spotify I can't imagine going back, it's just so convenient. In the car I use my phones hotspot for 4G, but keep some stuff downloaded in case. Spotify is good at caching etc though, so if you lose signal temporarily it'll keep on playing for a while. If you're gonna listen to some things a lot, like your favourite classic albums then you can download them on Wifi to save data etc.
Quality, thanks. I really don't get it all as you can tell. And downloading the Spotify playlists is stored on the head unit or my phone? Not as big as mp3 then?

Cheers

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Well that didn't work out very well for me. Ordered the SPH DA230DAB in black friday (always thought BF was a load of BS, so didn't bother with it). Post xmas sales and it's gone from £315 to £390!!
Double din will have to wait :(