ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photo editing / processing software options?

So... I'm considering doing photography on the side, or even attempting to make it my main source of income, seeing as I'm being made redundant :rolleyes:

I need to buy a laptop and am considering a 2015 MacBook Pro with Retina screen (because reliable / retains value / has good screen / doesn't have Touch Bar nonsense / should hopefully have less potential for viruses etc.), but with regards to software, I am out of touch on potential options...

It looks like there are a few options, but are there any CS recommendations / experienced users??

I would only be using the software to tweak lighting levels and colour saturation sort of stuff, nothing whizz-bang like creating 'moving vehicle' images from static images.

https://enviragallery.com/best-photo-editing-software-for-photographers/

- Gimp (free)
- Adobe Photoshop CC (£20 but with subscription?)
- Adobe Photoshop Elements (£90 but with subscription?)
- Adobe Lightroom (£10 but with subscription?)
- Corel Paintshop Pro (£55 but with subscription?)
- DXO Photolab (£??)
- Skylum Luminar (£64-£91, no subscription)
- Lightbox? (£££? Free with MBP operating system??)
- Aperture?
- picozu?
- rawtherapee?
- Irfanview?

Any recommendations / guidance very gratefully received!

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Lightroom and Photoshop, especially if you are going to try and make something of it. You can then put the monthly down as business expenses.
I pay £9.99 per month for the package. There's usually offers where you can get it cheaper.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you're starting out with photo editing - give Serif Affinity Photo a try.

I'm on that path now. While Photoshop is clearly the industry standard - there's a boatload of options that I'll never use. Plus the subscription based model would be just wasted on me.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
If you’re trying to make a go of it as your full time income then you ideally want Photoshop CC and/or Lightroom. As mentioned above you can usually get a good discount, I get the full suite including InDesign, After Effects etc. for around £16 a month.

Thanks for the useful input, all :)

That Affinity program looks very powerful!

Fair comment on the business expenses side of things as well, I hadn't really thought of it like that but it is a good point. I resent paying for things that could be taken away when you stop paying (in the same way I like buying physical media rather than a subscription service) but I guess if you're paying for it while your using it, it sort of makes sense.

Now I just need to buy a laptop, which is a whole other realm of indecision... lol

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the useful input, all :)

That Affinity program looks very powerful!

Fair comment on the business expenses side of things as well, I hadn't really thought of it like that but it is a good point. I resent paying for things that could be taken away when you stop paying (in the same way I like buying physical media rather than a subscription service) but I guess if you're paying for it while your using it, it sort of makes sense.

Now I just need to buy a laptop, which is a whole other realm of indecision... lol

Affinity Photo has some great video tutorials on their website, showing you the basics. Or alternatively, they also do the official workbook for it, which is excellent - taking you through different sample images and how to manipulate them. There are different chapters by different experts as well - so you're not getting the same viewpoint over and over.

A mate of mine who's a photographer does have Adobe's apps on subscription. But he strongly advised for Affinity Photo to begin with. A lot of the skills and concepts are transferable too - so once you get to grips with it, it would make the transition (if needed) to Photoshop that much easier.

Affinity Photo has some great video tutorials on their website, showing you the basics. Or alternatively, they also do the official workbook for it, which is excellent - taking you through different sample images and how to manipulate them. There are different chapters by different experts as well - so you're not getting the same viewpoint over and over.

A mate of mine who's a photographer does have Adobe's apps on subscription. But he strongly advised for Affinity Photo to begin with. A lot of the skills and concepts are transferable too - so once you get to grips with it, it would make the transition (if needed) to Photoshop that much easier.
Ooh, that sounds excellent - I think I will give it a punt at what is a very reasonable price!