ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nice progress, liking the full braided lines for the brakes and the split cylinder arrangement :)

Made a blank plate today with Alex to go in the hole that the drivers side vent left when we took it out. We made it out of some 3mm thick carbon fibre 'effect' plastic.

After a couple hours worth of extremely fine filing and cutting, every angle on it is perfect :smirk:
2paghn0_d.jpg

Dead happy with how it's turned out, the picture doesn't do it justice tbf it looks really good IRL:tearsofjoy:

We're going to have the bias adjuster knob and the EPAS adjuster knob next to each other on this blank. Thought this was a sensible place to house them both - in reach of the driver.

Gotta wait for the delivery of the CM Composites stuff before doing any more bits now! Can't wait:tongueout:

Had a delivery of 2/3 items of the CM Composites purchases. Unfortunately, Hermes are being utter bellends and didn't deliver the dash pod at the same time despite it being dispatched with the door cards and cup spoiler :imp: Bought an autolec/kill switch too which is now delivered - forgot to take a picture of it tho 🙈

Bit pissed off tbf as we were hoping to fit the dash pod and autolec switch and sort all the wiring out going to the dash this weekend. But obviously we can't now :neutral:.

Amazing how little this thing weighs!! Really quality product pretty much perfect :tongueclosed:
k85sMl5_d.jpg

Can sort out where to grind the doors hollow now we've got these. (The scratches and general muckyness is on the protective film layer:cool:)
WtxKz6K_d.jpg

So after waiting in all day for the shitty Hermes courier who didn't arrive, for the 2nd day running - we managed to do something productive at least:imp:

I drew up a little diagram of the layout of where we will house the switches in the dash pod once it turns up :unamused:. I also drew a little diagram for the layout of the panel that we made using the carbon lookalike, which is the diagram below the main one.
NGnTHxH_d.jpg

After 5pm - which is Hermes' delivery time cutoff on Saturday's; I went down to the car and fitted the evol race dogbone that's been sitting in my room for a couple of weeks :relieved:

All torqued up to spec.
ACLJY5g_d.jpg

Hoping this bloody parcel comes early next week as its holding us back from making progress :angry:Sure we'll find something to do tomorrow though as there's always plenty! May have a look at cutting the dash to fit around the cage and see how we can get the interior fuse box to fit into the passenger side vent :smile:

Spent the afternoon yesterday making the new dash fit around the cage, we drilled out some large holes after carefully measuring where the cage would be located on the dash and then cut a strip out of the dash so we can slot it on/off the clips holding it in.
KNKdbN1.jpg

This is how it sits in the car now :grin: (Will sit slightly more upright once bolted in and held down)
Kk2nr9X.jpg

The dash pod got delivered today FINALLY after the fiasco with Hermes...:expressionless: Chris from CM Composites had a go at them and it turned out that the driver fancied trying to steal the parcel for himself!:laughing: Once threatened it turned up the next day... funny that? Big thanks to Chris for sorting it out, once again a quality product! Means we can make it fit our PH1 dash now and start wiring things into it. We've ordered a few switches to get us started and are still deciding on a design of hazard light and start button that we like before buying one.
GaxJsZG.jpg

I've arranged with a friend to begin cutting the now redundant wires from the loom on Sunday so we can finally sort all the wiring out for good!:smile:

Haven't updated this for a while but we have been busy! It's just taking a while to get some things sorted out while we were waiting for some parts to arrive. We've started to modify the dash to make the dash pod fit. After playing around with a few ideas we attempted to make something final, however it went a bit wrong thanks to me and I ruined it. So we've ordered some more carbon lookalike which is arriving tomorrow and we can perfect the design with this new piece, starting afresh. A load of switches have been delivered too for the dash pod, including a start button also. Just waiting on the hazard light switch to be delivered now.:blush:

This is basically what we're trying to do, the back of the dash pod will slot into the part at the back of the dash that I've cutout. Then we're blanking the large hole off in the centre of the dash with carbon lookalike and carefully bending it to the curve of the dash pod. (This is the bit I messed up on and ended up ruining the one in the picture):sweat:
urlHuGb.jpg

Like I said in the previous post, I would begin cutting wires Sunday. I met my friend Tom down the lockup and he showed me what to do and we spent most of the afternoon starting to cut the wires out that we don't need. I continued to cut them out this evening and so far we've acquired about half of a huge bin bag full of them! I love it, so glad to see all of the messy wires gone - can't wait to tidy them all up! :smiley: It's strangely therapeutic cutting them off...
NHUHvZi.jpg

I've so far cut off all of the plugs we don't need, and traced the wires back to the Fuse Box, UCH and other connecting plugs. What I need to do next is trace the wire through the plugs and remove the next section of wire as far back as I can, so that it is fully stripped and not just cut off randomly. Will probably have that finished by the weekend fingers crossed :smirk:

News on the in car fuel tank too! After a lot of research trying to find a fuel rail that bolts onto the standard manifold with screw on fittings. I found that the old Clio Cup racers used them. Again... after a lot of searching I managed to hunt one down from R-Sport; who are the UK distributor for all of the Renault Sport motorsport parts. Luckily I thought to give these a shout as I had to research them for a uni project last semester :smirk:
Below is the picture we we're sent of it by John at R-Sport, but it's being delivered tomorrow so I'll update with more pictures of it. So lucky to have found a genuine cup racer part, never thought I would tbf lol.
YyT8fBN.jpg

Next steps are continue to cut the loom until finished, then we've gotta make a few things fit such as the dash pod, fuse box in the passenger side vent on the dash, make a bracket for the UCH and EPAS ECU. Then after we've done that, I think it's time to weld in the harness eyelets and spray the interior in Racing Blue! :hearteyes:

Continued to cut down the loom today! Not a lot being left now, we've removed all the unused plugs/wires from the interior now and pulled them out of the plugs they were in to completely remove them.

This is what the loom looks like in it's current state, much less than we started with.
mtVSByQ_d.jpg

Back of the car is empty pretty much:tearsofjoy:
hSTTRbw_d.jpg

Gonna continue to cut the engine bay loom down tomorrow, so far we've removed the ABS wiring and the Aircon radiator plug but hoping to finish it all tomorrow if all goes to plan!

The cup racer fuel rail was delivered today so can have a play with that too :cool:

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Cup racer rail is cool. I couldn't find one so had to get a Ktec one which I prefer now as it's more stealth lol

Clio 172 - Track Car
Want to chop my loom wires? I currently have a 'bundle of doom' taped under the dash as I don't want to mess up the UCH!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
Fair play that is a bargain. I don't mind paying for propa stuff and the KTR rail is defo well made!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
nice progress, I have the wiring loom job to do at some point, been putting it off for 4 years nearly....lol!!!!

Once again have been really busy doing multiple things and not had time to update this as frequently as I'd like :weary: Fitted the Cup Racer fuel rail last week, it's so light and sturdy!! And also it's shiny 😂... but more importantly it's got the screw on fittings we're after for the in car braided fuel line conversion.

1RiY9Hi.jpg

Last week I mentioned we we're trimming the loom down. All was going to plan and we were taking great care in cutting it all down - testing it at each major stage. We left it for the night one night last week after a successful evening and came back the next day having changed absolutely nothing to continue cutting it down. We tested it before we begun, as we had been doing all the time - and the immobiliser kept kicking in, in true Renault electrics fashion :relieved::relieved::relieved:. So basically we're back to square 1 again, with a dodgy loom and need to seriously consider our options here.

1. Buy a standalone ECU and custom loom to eliminate the Renault electrics.
Pros: Eliminates faulty wires completely, mappable for the future, less wires.
Cons: VERY Expensive, would have to re-wire everything inside the car as the UCH controls pretty much everything, eg - wipers, lights, dash etc...
or
2. Buy a PH1 Loom, ECU & UCH and keep the UCH, remove immobiliser from the PH1 ECU and then have a go at cutting the wires again.
Pros: Cheaper than standalone, same mapping capability once unlocked, can retain dash and all interior electrics.
Cons: Have to cut the wires again...😂, more weight due to keeping the UCH and more wires.

After speaking to a load of people more in the know than me we're heavily steering towards the PH1 loom electrics option as it pretty much is a standalone ECU after the immobiliser has been removed. Perhaps we could get someone else to cut the loom down for us too so we don't break another one...

At very least, this problem has given us time to re-consider our options for future planning re. throttle bodies and re-maps etc. It's also given us time to get on with some more trivial stuff while we're stuck for major stuff to do. So at the weekend we cut out our spare doors that we will be using, removed the sound deadening (altho it still looks there in the pics... it was dark and the pics came out funny) and took the windows out ready for polycarbs when we buy them. We could remove more but it'd be a ballache so we just called it a day and sanded down the doors with fine sandpaper ready for primer. We will prime them once the cars ready for them to go on, otherwise they'll just get knocked around and we'll have to redo it anyway.

Sound deadening is still in on this pic... 😂 We cut them out this shape to leave a roughly equal ridge all the way around so that we can seal/rivet the CM Composites door cards on - left the part the handle bolts to also for added strength, otherwise we'd be pulling on the doorcard all the time.
xlBIXwD.jpg

All sanded down ready for primer :up:
cL0zYR9.jpg

We'll decide what to do with the wiring situation soon and buy the relevant parts when we can afford them. Whilst we're doing it though, I'm also gonna convert the throttle body & pedal back to the PH1 cable setup, so that it's ready for throttle bodies in the future and a PH1 loom.

Decided on going down the PH1 Loom ECU, UCH and removing the immobiliser as it's the cheaper option for us atm and theres no real advantage to us of having a standalone ECU longterm or shorterm so we may as well spend the money elsewhere!

So while we're waiting to source one... the little jobs continue on. I finished removing all bar one brackets from the car's interior today while Alex made the dash pod fit the flocked PH1 dash and made it look neat and tidy. We're both really happy with how it looks, the pics don't do it justice but hopefully they will once it's all bolted down :smiley:
QidGUQ6.jpg

She made some little plates to tidy up where we cut out the hole for the dash pod to fit in.
LYuSOVY.jpg

And whilst Alex was doing that... I was busy sanding down the inlet manifold ready for priming. We've got something in mind to fit in with our future livery and think it's gonna look really cool. I won't post a picture of it until it's completely finished but here it is all primered up ready! Gonna head down to halfrauds and pick up some paint tomorrow.
cuGeocg.jpg

Final thing we did today was begin to make the switches/buttons fit the dash pod! We had to re-design our initial idea, but in hindsight we're much happier with this layout anyway. The only things left to put on now are the Hazard light switch in the centre (which we're awaiting delivery of from China) and the fire extinguisher pull cable, where the hole is drilled ready in position - bottom left. We're moving the EPAS over to the drivers side along with the Bias adjuster and EPAS adjuster as we think it makes more sense being there 😌
r85DfVI.jpg

We're gonna give the dash pod another lick of paint before installing it properly as it's been scratched and got pen all over it whilst we were drilling the holes in it 😂 Roll on tomorrow and the weekend!

Been busy again today! Firstly I'd like to say we've bought the following:
  • PH1 Full Car loom, with UCH, ECU, Locks, key and key barrel (The latter 3 are not needed as we're gonna put a start button on, but we'll use the key while testing for now)
  • PH1 Throttle Body with TPS and ISCV, throttle pedal and cable.
Hoping for these to be posted out around mid week, but we've found some things to keep ourselves busy in the meantime. Also decided before we cut the loom down again, we're going to paint the inside and put the fuel tank & lines in so that we can test the car to see if it runs stage by stage.

When we got to the car today we bolted up all of the front end back onto the car, using brand new bolts to tidy it all up. Once it was all on we got round to drilling the holes in the plates we'd previously welded on for the headlights to bolt into on their upper mounting bracket. After aligning the headlights correctly and screwing them in, we finally finished repairing the damage and we're happy to say it's finally a PH1 again; not just some bodge job car!
I7rqDe5.jpg

I scribbled the inlet mani out as it's still a WIP and don't want to reveal anything until it's completely finished... nearly there now just need to buy some more paint :wink:.
sSRjgE6.jpg

After finishing the front end we took both doors off as they needed to come off for when we paint the interior and it allows us to just generally get in and out of the car with more ease while we work on the inside. We borrowed a Sparco Evo bucket seat from Pete's E30 rally car and bolted it onto our sidemounts, then we sat in the car and got it in the seating position we both agreed on after some trial and error :tonguewink:
9Uahh9Z.jpg

That's me pulling a very strange face while tightening the MOMO boss onto the steering column 😂😂
WoywLwJ.jpg

Whilst the seat was in we marked where the harness eyelets & spreader plates needed to be welded in - bearing in mind the recommended angle of 30-60 deg, in relation to our seating position in the car, we started to measure only the drivers side for the time being but we'll get round to doing passenger side another time :up:

Made a plate to go onto the side of the car then welded the FIA approved spreader plate onto this plate for added strength. Then we screwed in our FIA approved eyelet ready for one side of the harness to be clipped in 😅:up: We then called it a day and went home :yum:
ZwcDQj2.jpg

More to come this week where lots of progress shall be made! Presumably the eyelets will all be welded in this week then we shall paint the cage and mask it off, then paint the interior! We can also fit the throttle body and pedal when it arrives :laughing: Having a day off on Saturday though as I've got another track day booked at Curborough in the Twingo and I'm forcing Alex to drive so she gets a feel for driving on the track...hehe:smirk:

Hazard light switch got delivered today finally! It's tiny and just what we wanted! Shall make it fit the dash pod tomorrow as we're unfortunately at work tonight 😞

3slW6TW_d.jpg

Tomorrow we will also continue welding in the spreader plates & eyelets for the harnesses and then the interior will be ready to be sprayed Racing Blue after that :up:

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Hazard light switch got delivered today finally! It's tiny and just what we wanted! Shall make it fit the dash pod tomorrow as we're unfortunately at work tonight 😞

View attachment 1333512

Tomorrow we will also continue welding in the spreader plates & eyelets for the harnesses and then the interior will be ready to be sprayed Racing Blue after that :up:

I'll be interested to see how you make that switch work with ph1 hazard wiring

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Here's how I wired my phase 2 hazard switch into a toggle I got from Halfords

Pink = supply
Black = load

View attachment 1333589

The phase 1 has 8 wires in the switch 😂. I've tried a few times to make something work, and short of a full new system for the indicators, I think you'll struggle. Thats next for me, and then I can ditch the UCH

The phase 1 has 8 wires in the switch 😂. I've tried a few times to make something work, and short of a full new system for the indicators, I think you'll struggle. Thats next for me, and then I can ditch the UCH
Oh sweet!!😂 Looks like we'll be making our own then haha. You not using standard clocks, stalks etc then if you're removing the UCH?

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Oh sweet!!😂 Looks like we'll be making our own then haha. You not using standard clocks, stalks etc then if you're removing the UCH?

Yeh, I have standalone, plus a Dash 2 and the only things my stalk do now are indicators and headlights. And I'm pretty sure the headlights arent UCH controlled

As expected we nearly finished the eyelet and spreader plate installation last night, just need to drill two holes for the passenger crotch straps and install the eyelets.

For the two on the outer sides of the car, we welded on a plate to re-enforce the sides, drilled through and placed the FIA approved spreader plate through it, then welded this in and tightened the eyelet - then to the desired angle after.

For the two on the central tunnel - we welded a plate to re-enforce the floor, drilled through it the size of the eyelet and placed it through the floor. We then placed the spreader plate on the underside of the car and tightened & turned to the desired direction.

Finally for the central crotch straps - once again we welded re-enforcement plates and did the same as above :blush:

We did all of this in accordance with the recommended angles relating to our seating positions using the Schroth guide:
https://www.schroth.com/en/segments...ation-instructions/racing/EA_8-2__2014-11.pdf
76zDCQ1.jpg

After that we clipped in one of our Sabelt 6 point harnesses and Alex wrapped it to the cage after watching a YouTube tutorial by Schroth. Then we bolted in the Magnum bucket seat that we shall be using in the car and admired our hard work 😂
(Pls note - the harnesses are nowhere near tight in this picture so it makes them look a bit ropey, but they're 100% correctly installed :wink:)
6f8g9Op.jpg

Next steps before spraying the cage & interior are:
  • Pop the other two eyelets in.
  • Blank off holes in the floor where I've removed grommets.
  • Maybe add another doorbar to turn them into an X shape with gussets...:smirk: - probably will do this.
  • Maybe convert the spare wheel well to the 182 boot floor - undecided :neutral:.

Nearly finished blanking the holes off in the floor this evening, we made multiple plates made of steel and just welded them over.
4B0WSZ3.jpg

v0Naz75.jpg

Just two more to do now on the rear wheel arches.

Alex has nearly finished the inlet manifold we've just got to give it a few tweaks and it'll be perfect :smirk:
Another small thing we did was remove the handbrake as we think we're going to put a hydraulic handbrake in instead :grinning:

We've decided to go ahead with improving the cage by adding two more door bars - also we're going to go ahead with flat flooring the spare wheel well with a 182 boot floor. Once those are in progress will start picking up quite quickly and the fuel tank shall be ordered and installed.
Once they've been installed all the major jobs are done bar the rear brake lines and wiring tbh and we can start making it look pretty and installing some nice performance orientated mods I think! Hopefully the loom and throttle body bits will be delivered soon!

The 182 boot floor is on it's way and will be arriving this week along with the loom, throttle body & pedal :smiley:

We've been busy helping Alex's dad get his car ready for a charity rally event this coming weekend so it's all stations go on that at the moment and we're not worrying about our car too much as his is more important.
Haven't had chance to do much just yet due to waiting on those bits and being on a track day at Curborough Sprint Course on Saturday in the daily :smirk:
YfKDUnZ.jpg

Photo Creds: Ace Photography: https://www.facebook.com/acepixs/

We did however yesterday order the in car fuel tank yesterday finally! Can't wait to put that in the car so we can arrange all the fuel lines in an OCD fashion and make it look perfect:tearsofjoy:
8tHh2SG.png

Main features are as follows:
  • 12 Gallon Tank - internally baffled
  • Built in swirl pot
  • Screw on fittings -6 & -8
  • Sight level gauge
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Gallon...516380?hash=item3ab037491c:g:fQ8AAOSwHnFV3vkJ

This should be with us in a week or so as Ralloy have to make them to order I assume, but like I said earlier theres no rush at the moment due to the rally this weekend that we'll be volunteering at. Perfect timing as it estimates the delivery will be next Monday so we can test fit it to the car then and start planning some more!

Thought the fuel tank was coming next week as I mentioned earlier but about 10 mins after that post it got dispatched which is cool! ETA is Wednesday :grin:

Tonight Alex finished painting the inlet manifold and it looks stunning :hearteyes: Will really blend in with our final livery once the car's finished. Can't wait to paint the rest of the engine in some form of silver to make it look new again.

Once again it's a case of pic's don't so it justice.
oR2DVO2_d.jpg

by3SEwg_d.jpg

182 boot floor got delivered today, not too sure how we're going to go about welding it in yet as in where to cut out our spare wheel well from. I'll have to do a bit of digging and see what people normally do 🔨

Found the time this evening in between rally prep to get rid of the sound deadening strip on it and after that, I sanded off 75% of the seam sealant too but didn't get a picture of that as it's not done yet - basically we just prepped it a bit ready for welding in the car.
8nmIYFf.jpg

Tomorrow should be exciting, we should have 2 deliveries arriving for us!
- PH1 Loom, Cable TB, ECU & UCH.
- Ralloy in car fuel tank.

I'll post an update tomorrow with some pictures of them... if they turn up - bearing in mind our past affairs with couriers:confused:😂

All the deliveries turned up - hooray! :laughing:
Prepare for lots of pictures below sorry!

So we've got... the PH1 ECU, key barrel, key & lock set. PH1 Throttle pedal, throttle body and throttle cable with what I believe to be the ICV.
Ready for throttle bodies now...😂😢 (I wish)
xbCCbvA.jpg

The PH1 full car loom and UCH. Didn't bother unpackaging these as they'd just end up getting messy and maybe damaged.
4ljSB9M.jpg

Thanks to @Kelv for the excellent packaging once again, would recommend anyone needing any bits to buy from him. Excellent service and a top bloke :up:

Time for the centrepiece now, our new Ralloy in car fuel tank! :hearteyes:
kInLWbl.jpg

I absolutely love how it sits in the car - just looks so cool!! It also weighs so much less than the plastic fuel tank, pretty sure a feather weighs more!:hearteyes:

Can't wait to get it fitted in properly and all lined in with the braided fuel lines and Cup Racer fuel rail setup :smirk:
qSQxgV0.jpg

Ajce3DI.jpg

Tonight I also found a spare 10 minutes in between rally prep to finish wire wheeling off the remainder of the sound deadening and seam sealant off the 182 boot floor. Myself and Alex then went over it with some tar and glue remover to remove the excess residue 😅
7zikPRp.jpg

Won't have time to do anymore work until next week now, shall update with a couple of pics of the On Your Marks event cus it's good fun!:grimacing:

Had an awesome time at the charity rally event last weekend and raised a fair bit of money despite the weather and lack of people that turned up :pensive:Usually we raise about 4x the amount we raised over the weekend in just one day... still better than nothing and everyone enjoyed themselves. Got to see some and ride in some stunning machinery including an RS200 Works Car, MK2 Escorts, Triumph TR7, E30, 205's and thats just some of the many cars that participated!

Alex's dads E30 in action!
LCR5tzR.jpg

Tom's, Pete's and Kevin's rally cars lining up to start the stage!
uDevWZc.jpg

Genuine Ford RS200 Works Car :hearteyes::hearteyes:
2VaEFDi.jpg

Hoping to get the Clio out there on the stage next year if all goes to plan :tongueclosed:

Anyway, back to the progress on the PH1!
Finished welding the plates in to cover holes now.

We ground some of the boot floor down to the desired dimensions we wanted as it came with far more material than we needed. We've taken the rear section of it completely off so it's now flat and sits on top of the spare wheel well to cover it.

To do next - prep the 182 boot floor for welding, cut the spare wheel well out and weld in the boot floor.
YEzMN6y.jpg

We also ripped out the petrol filler cap and the filler pipes for the standard fuel tank as we wont be using those obviously.

Instead we shall be running our own filler system from the existing filler flap on the outside of the car and running it directly into the new fuel tank inside the car. We're doing it this way in order to meet MSA regulations on bulkheads between the fuel tank. We will also have to have a cover over the fuel tank which we'll worry about at a later date in order for the car to be MSA logbooked :up:
9FqyQvG.jpg

Next steps after the boot floor is welded in:
  • Cut a hole so the swirl pot can sit through the floor.
  • Make a holder to protect the swirl pot underneath the car.
  • Make brackets for the fuel tank to mount to.

RS 200 CUP
Just read this from the start and it's nice to see a proper job being done, lots of people would probably just go for the easy option.
Where about in Stoke you from? I'm in Trentham

Just read this from the start and it's nice to see a proper job being done, lots of people would probably just go for the easy option.
Where about in Stoke you from? I'm in Trentham

Thanks a lot mate, nice to know someone appreciates all the hard work we put in - really does mean a lot! :smile:

I'm near Cheadle and Leek but we work on the car in Stone so not too far from you at all!

RS 200 CUP
Thanks a lot mate, nice to know someone appreciates all the hard work we put in - really does mean a lot! :smile:
I'm near Cheadle and Leek but we work on the car in Stone so not too far from you at all!
Yeah not far at all, I go stone for a drink at the swan sometimes then nip next door for a pizza :D

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Proper job this, love it that the gf is getting involved as well, im amazed that she is actually interested! Saying that I do get my wife to help with bits of mine from time to time :)