ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Track Car. Next Year I Go Racing - Hopefully!

Well Done James
Your times were good, and looking at the TSL website, almost everyone improved their times from last year,
Track conditions shouldnt have warranted that but the pace is definately getting faster in the series
Could you give me a link to the correct page please mate? Interested to see the times.

Cheers Guys.

2:02.1 was my best time in race 2. Considering this as my first proper visit to Oulton Park I am quite happy with that.

Tidied up the garage today and put the clio back to bed for a bit.

Not really got much planned for it really, which is probably a mistake when everyone else seems to be making upgrades.

I might get a better seat to hold in in place better, and maybe a higher spec cage. Nothing wrong with the one I have and it conforms to the regs. I am just thinking spending money on safety can never be a bad idea.

1pjipv.jpg

1zefodw.jpg

You could have put a few more spot on there mate :wink:

Do you rate those new LED downlight replacements?

Yep think there is over 40 of them in there!

LED spotlights are great if you get good ones, mains voltage ones are a simple retro fit into existing units as well. It's just low voltage where you need specific LED drivers.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
it depends which ones you get. We have various ones around the house dependant on the room and the ambience desired. You can get various temperatures and either clear or opaque lenses which can soften the light. LED bulbs are better by far imo

It's been a while since I have done anything to the car, in fact I haven't really touched it since Oulton last year.

I thought I better take a look at the old girl make sure everything is ok.

Engine and gearbox out for a bit of a check over.

2819bmw.jpg

I got hold of a cup spec subframe (slightly wider track), this is being sent off for powder coating along with a few other brackets etc.

sw3def.jpg

Decided to weld in some strengthening top hat washers first as the rear holes for the wishbones had worn, not my best welding as the gas was running out, but it will do fine. Not sure if the subframes come this way from the factory or not, but every subframe I've ever seen seems to have this issue with the rear hole being oversized.

2638mtl.jpg

Also decided to remove the heater as I will be fitting a heated front screen instead.

2rhbqix.jpg

Remaking the dash with a some new gauges and switches.

a23tlh.jpg

2ywssh4.jpg

Rubbing down, cleaning and prepping ready for paint.

124uf79.jpg

11tnywk.jpg

5l6t77.jpg

10dxemb.jpg

Got the wife to help out again with some of the prep work.

2jb1w7q.jpg

1073tqx.jpg

Masked off and ready to go!

2ive1hj.jpg

2h58zux.jpg

Looking good james, what cage is it out of interest?
Russ

It's a complete custom job Russ, built to fit the car. It's done to msa regs and a bit beyond!

The SD cage was a good cage as bolt in dash dodger cages go. But I wanted something a bit safer, and one that was also tied into the cars shell.

Renault Clio 182
You've improved so much from your first race, can tell your getting more confident and picking up new skills, braking times, turn ins, gear changes all on point! Keep it up!!!

Nice work James,
What with the handbrake? you going drifting?, lol

Cheers Dave. Believe it or not the car is still road legal and still has a valid mot!

I did think about ditching the handbrake, but for the sake of about 1/2kg I thought I would keep it. Anyway it will be handy when I am starting at the back of the grid at Oulton on the slope!

Clio 172
Just finished reading through and i'm really jealous :)
What did you use to spray the inside, was it rattle can, or proper spray gun job?

Just finished reading through and i'm really jealous :smile:
What did you use to spray the inside, was it rattle can, or proper spray gun job?

Cheers mate.

It was a proper spray job with 2k Ford Frozen White.

Did it myself, first time I have had a go at spraying and the finish is pretty good to be honest :smile:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
2 coats! More weight lol.

Looks good but I just couldn't live with white due to cleaning. I'd have gone for a silver/grey personally.