ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC or MAC

I'm after a new laptop soon i've had my current one for around 3 years now, i'm beginning to have problems with it so i'm looking for a new one, but i'm thinking of spending a little extra and getting a mac book but i've never touched one, so i'm just after the opinions from anyone who's got one.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
PC! Macs are amazing, I have to use them all the time, but theres just something nice about familiarity. There are just small quirks that get on my nerves with macs. If you can deal with that, the mac is definately better!

350Z GT
ive recently got a macbook, best thing ive ever bought.
I got the White 1, 2.16 core 2 duo, 2gb ram - was £800 - use the education discount and enter the name of a local store and it deducts a price and for a while you get a free ipod :)
I dual boot mine with Windows. No performance issues - runs better than my PC when in windows and OS X is an awesome OS. I'd never been near it before but within a day i knew how to use most of its great features.

They are obviously not gaming machines but can still play a lot of games in the windows partition at 30-60fps (Halo, Alien Trap, 1nsane racing) to name a few.

Would defo get 1, not even comparable to any other laptop!! - Where else do you see Core 2 Duo 2.16, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd for £800 + its a mac

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Would have said PC before Mac's started using decent CPU's but either or really.

ive recently got a macbook, best thing ive ever bought.
I got the White 1, 2.16 core 2 duo, 2gb ram - was £800 - use the education discount and enter the name of a local store and it deducts a price and for a while you get a free ipod :)
I dual boot mine with Windows. No performance issues - runs better than my PC when in windows and OS X is an awesome OS. I'd never been near it before but within a day i knew how to use most of its great features.

They are obviously not gaming machines but can still play a lot of games in the windows partition at 30-60fps (Halo, Alien Trap, 1nsane racing) to name a few.

Would defo get 1, not even comparable to any other laptop!! - Where else do you see Core 2 Duo 2.16, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd for £800 + its a mac

This is the one i'm looking at getting, they had some good deals in the reburished section but they go quick in there.
As for games i use my xbox for that really as long as i can get Football Manager 2008 for it when it comes out i'll be happy.

I vote mac also.Havnt got one (yet).Cant be any worse than a PC though.

(Opens apples website and blows student loan on one :) )

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I never get this argument, i browse the web and write a few documents, take a few pics, how can anything be better than a pc? It's not like it's hard to do.

I never get this argument, i browse the web and write a few documents, take a few pics, how can anything be better than a pc? It's not like it's hard to do.
But you don't look stylish doing it! And you can't bleat on to all your friends about how much better they are and how you can do so much stuff that PCs can't (they can, they're just too stuck up their own arses to see).

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Monaro VXR
Try a mac first. I personally hate the MAC OS so to me it seems pointless spending the extra on one. I can get a similar looking better spec'd PC for less and I would rather do that.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
But who in the right mind would go spend £500+ on a mac when they have never used one?

J

Jim NM

If your havig problems, buy a new hard drive for around £36 and you will have a virtually new PC 12 months warranty on a new hard drive.

Save yourself some cash! just a thought!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Macs just do everything a pc does but with animations which would annoy me after a while, i'm yet to see a valid argument to get one yet.

Monaro VXR
There less prone to viruses. For the average user who is shall we say computer stupid they will be better and easier to use and harder to c**k up.

I just dislike the OS interface. The underlying tech is sound though. Why I would rather buy a PC and use Linux and windows.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
But i'd say i'm good with computers, i've never had problems with viruses, and surely the "average user" would have no idea how to use a MAC

Macs just do everything a pc does but with animations which would annoy me after a while, i'm yet to see a valid argument to get one yet.

Well, they do less really, else they would be implemented in offices up and down the land.

Would a Mac user like to answer the fact that Systems analysis's prefer PC architecture?

PC. build it yourself. I've used both as the missus is a graphic artist and uses the mac day in and out; and to be honest I they do my f**king head in. Unless you use the mac for what its built for don't bother getting one.

Revels Mum & Sister
I prefer MAC when using it at home. IMO its a breath of fresh air, but I have to work with busted PC's running MS products 5 days a week and then some, so I would say that