ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pc gurus help please!!

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
CCleaner is all you really need - and keep it nice and crap free with downloads.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Hello? Is this thing on?

Perhaps, try that little windows 10 refresh I mentioned at the start of the day. It probably would have saved you doing any of this.

If you can boot into Windows 10, open the new Settings app (the cog icon in the Start menu), then click on Update & Security. Click on Recovery, and then you can use the 'Reset this PC' option. This will give you the choice of whether to keep your files and programs or not.

That should ‘reinstall’ windows and sort your problem if it’s software related, plus you keep all your old files.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Christ. I hope that solves it now or I’m going to look a right t**t.

Remember to use www.ninite.com afterward if you need to get any programs back.

Best of luck.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
It can take a while sometimes. Bare with it. Failing that, do a reboot, close all the programs that are running and try again.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
When my missus kept complaining about her laptop I stuck a SSD in it and it solved everything.

I’m yet to see Windows 10 run well on a mechanical drive tbh.

One thing you can try is changing the delivery optimisation in the updates section on settings. It defaults to using your pc for sending files to others on the internet so it runs in the background without telling you.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Thinking of putting an ssd in tbh. Has run perfectly well up until now. Not sure what has changed.
Are they easy to install?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
What @Simon998 said.

They’re very easy to install, plus you get to use the old hdd as an external drive if you buy a cheap case for it.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
yeah you’ll have to *cough* find a way to bypass the Microsoft key management system (KMS) or else *cough* purchase a windows 10 key. They’re under a 10er these days

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
If it's reasonably new and came installed with Windows by the manufacturer then if it doesn't have the key with the machine it should just install and pick up the key automatically, the days of licence keys stuck to things are fading fast.

If it's a hookey copy of Win10 or you bought it second hand and don't know how it was installed, then not so much.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It won’t be on a separate drive. They make a recovery partition which shows as a different drive when it is all on the same one.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I thought that too charltjr but wasn’t too sure. You should be able to load that windows iso I linked previously and your system will activate it when you log in.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Just completed the laptop reset and disk drive is still running at 90-100%.
Have done a diskcheck and it says the drive is all ok.
What a ballache.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Is there any adverse affects when it’s running at max capacity? Is the laptop locking up or anything?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Sounds like some sort of driver conflict or some other software issue. Usually when a platter hard drive dies, it just dies.

Download windows, download Rufus (program), use rufus to make a bootable USB drive. Turn the laptop off, pop the USB stick in, and it should boot into the windows install. Just do a fresh install. If that doesn’t sort it, it’s hardware related.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Failing that, I’m back from holiday on Wednesday. I can remote access into your laptop and have a look.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds like a plan buddy. That would be great.
Like I say, I'm not dumb on computers but some things are best left alone before I break the whole bloody thing lol.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Right,
I have left it on all day and not touched it, let it do it's thing and now it all seems back to normal.
It must have just had a MASS of updates to do which was causing the disk drive to go mental.
Either way, I think I'm going to drop an ssd into it to save having to go through this ever again lol.
I would still appreciate a remote from yourself though @Simon998 simon9if that's still on the cards just to check everything is normal?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Yeah I’ll bounce in for a bit on Wednesday. Shouldn’t be anything too tasking. You should still do that task I posted above. It will find any corrupt or missing files in windows and fix them. Takes a while to run though so I won’t be able to do it on wed.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Did you check to see if Superfetch had restarted?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Seems ok now.
I'm going to get an ssd and use the hdd I have now in place of the CD drive. Will run the OS and a few other programs from the ssd and have all pictures etc on the hdd.

Is that a common thing to do?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Seems ok now.
I'm going to get an ssd and use the hdd I have now in place of the CD drive. Will run the OS and a few other programs from the ssd and have all pictures etc on the hdd.

Is that a common thing to do?

Yep. You’ll only have space for one drive in your laptop (usually) so when you pop the ssd in, you’ll need to buy a 2.5” usb hard drive caddy from eBay or somewhere. Then you can use that for storage.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Samsung are my favourite brand of SSD. The Samsung magic suite software has a few nice features.

I’m guessing that was a 120gb?