ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pc gurus help please!!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Turned the laptop on for the first time in about a month.
There is pretty much nothing on it apart from a few phone backups and photos etc so this issue is a bit strange.
It took ages to boot and is running like a snail opening things etc. It's an i5 etc so runs pretty quick for what's needed from it.
I checked the processes and noticed drive C is running at 100% even when nothing is open.
I have run this repair for drive C but it has been on 10% for ages now.

Any heads up on the issue and a fix?
I'm not an expert on laptops/pcs but know my way around them.

Just worried it is never going to come back on again, or what has caused it to go slow all of a sudden.

No recent programs or anythimg have been added either.

Thanks.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
If it's not been on for a while is it trying to download a mega Windows update? Windows 10?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Windows Update in Windows 10 absolutely kills mechanical drives, and internet connections.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
If it's not been on for a while is it trying to download a mega Windows update? Windows 10?

I had it on last night and it ran ok after it had been on for a while but today it was just the same again.

Drive C was at 100% so I have done the drive C scan and repair but it is just sitting at 10%

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
C drive scan and repair completed overnight but drive C is still running at 100%

Have done all the windows defender updates.

What can I do next? How do I see what is using drive C or if windows is updating something? I can see what processes are running in task manager but nothing looks excessive?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
If you can boot into Windows 10, open the new Settings app (the cog icon in the Start menu), then click on Update & Security. Click on Recovery, and then you can use the 'Reset this PC' option. This will give you the choice of whether to keep your files and programs or not.

That should ‘reinstall’ windows and sort your problem if it’s software related, plus you keep all your old files.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers @Simon998 I have managed to get it all booted back up and doing all the windows 10 updates as we speak.
Drive C is still running at 90-100% so not sure if that is because it is downloading a mass of updates.
Will post back once installed.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
If the laptop is pretty basic spec it could have a 5400rpm platter drive. It’s not unusual for these to run at 80-100% when trying to read and write data at the same time. Have you run the usual malwarebytes and done a through virus scan?

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not to clued up on malware etc.
Is there a program I can download and use for free to do what you have recommended?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Honestly, do that windows refresh I mentioned above. Once it’s done, install malwarebytes and run the full scan.

Visit www.ninite.com after your windows reinstall to get all your old programs (winrar, steam, chrome, malwarebytes etc.) in one easy installer. That website has saved me literally days worth of time.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one.
Just to add, I have downloaded all the window update files and every one of them has failed to install. Wtf is that all about? Fml lol

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
20180812_105032.jpg

This is while it is downloading updates, nothing else is open.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
You're going to have to see what's reading/writing and see what services are running.

Open your TaskManager and see what Processes are running above 05 CPU Levels.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Just let it do the updates mate, it can take a long time. Have you done the malware scan?

How full is the disk? When updates fail to install you should get an error code you can google to tell you why.

Edit: also, what GiT said. If you click on the arrow to the left of the “service host” bit what does that show?

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
LOL's, you did it as I typed it - unfold that top tab

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I havnt done the malware scan yet as I was trying to get it all up to date first.
Below is a pic of I think what you were asking for?

There is literally just photos on here, about 650gb left on the hdd.
20180812_110159.jpg

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Right, try this...

Press Windows Key + R (Run dialog)
Type services.msc in the box and enter.
Find SUPERFETCH
Edit Superfetch by clicking on Properties (right click I think)
Press STOP - Check it's disabled and Apply.

Restart and re-do to check it's off.

Then re-try the updates.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Right, that was enabled so have stopped it and disabled. Will just let this update finish as it's on 94% and will reboot and report back.

Appreciate the help so far guys, thankyou kindly.

Reactions: GiT

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Personally, I would restart it and defrag the mechanical drive - THEN do the updates.

OR - Update then do a Defrag last.

Ideally - if you have next to nothing on it - why not plonk what you need from it onto a USB stick - buy a new SSD for it and re-install Windows 10 (or 7) from a fresh.

Loads of options.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Defrag = Defragmentation.

Basically, over time all the info on the drive becomes split up and placed all over. Mechanical drives read like a record player - skipping all over the poxy place for the info (SSDs are non-mechanical and a f**k load quicker) - so a defrag moves all the bytes / files into order so they are whole once more.

W10 defrag is in the HDD properties I believe.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one mate.
Currently preparing to install updates and is at 40% so will see what happens.

Reboot and check to see what disabling superfetch has done.

If nothing, I will defrag and try updates again.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Once all updated - 100% defrag anyway. It'll tidy the Hard drive and help keep the speed up on the Laptop acting to your requests.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Await the updates completing, then still defrag. Then - see how it runs.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
99%. God knows what it is trying to do lol. Has taken since 1pm to do this one.

Can't wait to reboot to see if anything has worked lol.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Reinstalled yet? It’s not going to break anything and if it doesn’t fix your problem I’ll eat my hat.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
All updates installed, defragged, malwarebytes done it's thing, turned off superfetch.
Disc is now back down to normal and laptop is running a lot smoother.

Thanks for all your help, it has been long lol.
Are there any programs that you would say are a mist to have to keep everything running properly?

I used to be up on this sort of thing but now phone's and everything are soadvanced I barely use the laptop.