ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ongoing leak in clio 182 boot

Clio 182 ff
So I'm looking for any help with my leak from my boot in my 182, it leaking in to the left side. I've already re sealed the little boot bump stops and this made no difference. As you can see from the image the water seems to be coming from a lot higher up. What are problem areas to try ? thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 174

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry only just seen this it seems to be coming from a lot higher up than the light, but there is only so far up I can see. Are there any known spots to check higher up?

Spoiler area? Boot wiring seals? Boot release button? Boot seal itself, washer fluid tubes?

Take the car apart, sit inside and have someone pour water over the top and see where its coming from.

Clio 182 ff
Spoiler area? Boot wiring seals? Boot release button? Boot seal itself, washer fluid tubes?

Take the car apart, sit inside and have someone pour water over the top and see where its coming from.
[/QUOTE thanks, yes unfortunately I think I'm going to have to strip the rear out like you say. Was hoping for a quick fix as I'm so busy with work but I will have to get it done

Clio Sport 182
Did you solve this in the end? I have quite a lot of water on the boot liner of the passenger side of my 182. The boot badge has cracked and, despite supergluing back on, came off again a few months back. I can't imagine why that would cause water on one side though.

Clio 182
I read (maybe on here) about a guy who found a gap in the welded seam between the roof/side panel which is accessible by removing those bits of trim/strips on the roof. I also have a small amount of water coming in from higher up and I can only assume this is where it’s coming from as everything else like all the seals seem fine. Need to inspect it but I’m having a right game trying to remove the strips.

RB 182 FF
Worth checking to see if these black grommets are loose whilst you're there. Bit of silicone around them and it all good

1580133788176.png

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I had a similar problem in my track car. Sealed the grommets up, checked the lights, checked the spoiler. Turned out to be one of the spot welds in the panel near the boot seal either just below or above where the boot strut mounting is. Was letting in water pretty much where yours is.

Check around the boot strut mounting too. I just put a small dot of silicon on the split spot weld and not leaked since! Took me a while to find and not easy to see. It was letting in a good amount of water for such a small hole.

The roof strips prize up with a trim tool. I have a 182 that I am breaking so will try and get a picture with them removed. When I have removed these previously there was no where obvious water could leak in and it would have made the headlining damp if it did. Hope that helps @Stink 182 @Crispy182

Clio 182
I had a similar problem in my track car. Sealed the grommets up, checked the lights, checked the spoiler. Turned out to be one of the spot welds in the panel near the boot seal either just below or above where the boot strut mounting is. Was letting in water pretty much where yours is.

Check around the boot strut mounting too. I just put a small dot of silicon on the split spot weld and not leaked since! Took me a while to find and not easy to see. It was letting in a good amount of water for such a small hole.

The roof strips prize up with a trim tool. I have a 182 that I am breaking so will try and get a picture with them removed. When I have removed these previously there was no where obvious water could leak in and it would have made the headlining damp if it did. Hope that helps @Stink 182 @Crispy182
A pic would be great 👍 So to remove them, you dont have to slide them back, you can just prise them up away from the rubber?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
A pic would be great 👍 So to remove them, you dont have to slide them back, you can just prise them up away from the rubber?

Pretty sure, have removed several over the years. Definitely don't slide from memory. I will take them off the car I am breaking in the morning to confirm and grab some pictures.

Clio 182
Pretty sure, have removed several over the years. Definitely don't slide from memory. I will take them off the car I am breaking in the morning to confirm and grab some pictures.
Thanks buddy, that’d be a great help. I’m a bit scared to use too much force in case I break something

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hi mate. Use a trim removal tool. They pull upwards out of the plastic clips. Prob best to do when not freezing cold to save the clips. I worked from the back towards the front. Hope that helps. Pictures should give you an idea too.

20200129_105101.jpg
20200129_105156.jpg
20200129_105159.jpg

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just to update this thread as I have picked up another 172, which I discovered was wet in the boot this weekend even though the grommets were sealed up. This is the second one I have had with a split spot weld. I have got a picture as will hopefully help a few others out that have the same problem, but not too sure where to look. Just seal it with a bit of silicone.

20200314_160500.jpg
20200314_160503.jpg
20200314_160507.jpg

CT XD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thank you for posting this! Hoping this is the source of my leak as I have the same split.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thank you for posting this! Hoping this is the source of my leak as I have the same split.

Some of the spot welds are quite hard to see and its generally the ones in and around the boot strut area, it must be the weight and movement of the boot that causes them to split. It's amazing how much water gets in through such a small hole too!! Just use some silicon to seal. Have you done the boot plugs too, that is the most common cause of water ingress. Post how you get on 👍

CT XD

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Been a few months, and even in the recent deluge the boot has stayed dry!!

Now both front footwells have water and the blower fan has stopped working.... 😂😂

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Been a few months, and even in the recent deluge the boot has stayed dry!!

Now both front footwells have water and the blower fan has stopped working.... 😂😂

Central drain under the wiper motor would be my bet for that leak. When blocked the area fills up and runs down the back of the sound proofing behind the dash and into both footwells.