ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oil Leak from breather Valve - 1.2

Oil Burner
Putting this up on behalf of a friend.

Long story short:

My 2003 1.2 16v Billabong Clio has been leaking oil from the breather on the gearbox while on the motorway. It is fine on shorter journeys on all other roads.

I bought it from a garage back in April and they have tried fixing the problem by replacing the gator and putting a much longer breather on. This didn't do the job so I suggested they had the wrong oil in it and too much of it. They had a look and they had indeed put too much oil in and the wrong stuff...

This appeared to fix the problem and I didn't have any problems on the motorway journey home and I hadn't really been on it since. But I recently drove to Wales and back as well as driving to Swindon and back from Chippenham everyday last week. Even on these short 1 junction motorway journeys its leaking oil from the top of the breather.

I have opened the filler cap on the front of the gearbox and oil didn't spill out so this suggests it hasn't been overfilled.

Really at a loss what it could be causing this now. All advice appreciated!

Billabong 1.2 16v
Hello there!

I'm afraid to say the offending Clio in question is my own.:(

I've just taken a few pictures showing where the oil is leaking out from the top of the breather pipe and also a picture showing where the oil runs down the outside of the pipe into a puddle on the top of the gearbox casing. Ignore the kitchen roll that was tied round the top, it was just to see whether it leaked much on shorter low speed journeys.

088.jpg

Lower half of the pipe and gearbox casing.

087.jpg

Top of the breather. You can see where the oil is leaking out then dripping down.

086.jpg

Top of the breather with the oil soaked kitchen towel around it.

085.jpg

Thanks for any help!

Ollie :)

Clio 182 FF
Any solution since?

I have the same problem with my 182 and nobody has an idea what's the matter.
The problme started after the gearbox was rebuild, becouse of a faulty primary shaft bearings.
Everythings fine, but the oil come out from the breather, cca 1dl / 100km

The oil level is good, i fill up with 3l every time.
A tried ELF Tranself NFJ 75W80, Total 75W80, Total 75W90, still nothing change, the oil come out.

L90
hello everyone
sometime the breather tube inside the gearbox is damaged and torn during dismantling. This breather tube in most of the gearboxs look likes S shape. well if it is damaged the oil penetrate and oil leakage is the consequence.

has any one check this breather tube checked inside the gearbox?

1530909955082.png