ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Occasionally car wont start, and sometimes cranks - solid red light on dash

Clio 182
Afternoon!

Just after some advice, every now and again my Clio give me grief normally when I take the battery off for a few days to do some jobs.
I think its to do with immobiliser possibly?

It has happened before without the battery being disconnected mind.

I come to start it stick the key in turn it on and get the red circle solid light on the dash unit. do to turn the key and get absolutely nothing or it will crank 3/4 over and stop like a safety cut off to stop the car starting. Previously I have walked away from the car and come back and its been fine and will fine for a few weeks.

last time this happened the other day tried all sorts and must of tried to start it 20 times? (this was after I had the battery off) So I left in key in the ignition with it on for 10mins as it don't know if its do with the key,ecu or immobiliser and it started then and has been fine since.

Does this sound like an immobiliser issue? looking on here or online it sounds like that or the crank sensor? I only use the car occasionally and planned to use a track day toy so its not my daily so isn't as important to resolve asap.

Cheers

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
solid red is immobilizer, wont start until that light goes out regardless of whether or not there is a crank sensor issue.
have you got another key you can try?

Clio 182
solid red is immobilizer, wont start until that light goes out regardless of whether or not there is a crank sensor issue.
have you got another key you can try?

ahhh okay, no I haven't, I may try get another key sorted to try it when it happens again.

its been fine since the last few days. I hard you can get bypass kits for immobilizer?

cheers

Dex90

ClioSport Club Member
  11Megne250/02Clio172
sorry I was doubting myself from last post about what i had said so to double check searched the forum and i was ! solid immob isn't a fault with immob and it will try and crank :)
see this thread
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/bypassing-the-immobiliser-on-a-ph2-172.612962/
MickKPM commented on this and he knows his stuff
"
No, its 100% not an imobilliser fault!
The light going solid red and remaining lit is the car saying the key has been recognised and accepted however there is a connection or power problem on one of the many systems and that rules out a key, code, decoder ring or UCH fault. I see this so many times and everytime the customer assures me it is 100% the imob stopping the vehicle cranking and starting it almost always ends up being a poor connection and/or broken wiring.

The vehicle really needs looking at though as it may be a simple power issue but it could be a CAN-Bus issue to which is black magic to most garages.

Mick"