ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NUTS AND BOLTS

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
HELP NEEDED.

With the rebuild of the car happening shortly I am thinking about replacing a lot of the Nuts/bolts etc etc.
Is anyone aware of a comprehensive list of what I would need throughout the car?

Car is a phase 1 172

Just get a load of M6, M8, M10 & maybe some M12's. Not many imperial that I've come across but someone more informed will be along shortly.

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Tomotek's build thread has a good list of suspension bolts on it

330i. E30 Touring.
Do you have all the originals? If not, i have 2x buckets worth of bolts from Clio's i've broken in the past. All rusty as eff and would need a clean up, but free to collect from Chertsey.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have all the originals? If not, i have 2x buckets worth of bolts from Clio's i've broken in the past. All rusty as eff and would need a clean up, but free to collect from Chertsey.

I am pretty sure I have most of what i need tbh as I have not chucked anything away. I think I am probably just panicking a bit. I will be assembling the running gear whilst the shell is away, this will probably give me a chance to check what I will need and what I don't, I will then potentially just clean up what I already have - may not be much point in just buying all new
Thanks for the offer though, will keep that in-mind

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Neil..
I've condensed the info I have on the suspension bolts.
38924054922_cf2d8f7fa8_b.jpg

The caliper backing / top plate I ended up reusing the original bolts as the top plates use the shank of the bolt to locate and is a special size bolt.

I also spec'd these bolts to get the required shank length, they will need cutting down to suit, or you'll have excess thread out the end of the nut.

I bought the bolts from Cromwell and have listed the part code.

Hope that helps.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Neil..
I've condensed the info I have on the suspension bolts.
View attachment 1348506
The caliper backing / top plate I ended up reusing the original bolts as the top plates use the shank of the bolt to locate and is a special size bolt.
I also spec'd these bolts to get the required shank length, they will need cutting down to suit, or you'll have excess thread out the end of the nut.
I bought the bolts from Cromwell and have listed the part code.
Hope that helps.

Thank you for this mate, am looking into re-building all the running gear over the next month so this will come in very helpful.
Cheers Neil

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
View attachment 1348506

Hi mate, you noted above about the calliper backing/top plate, but then have it on your list (QFT6001076J), did you just not use it?
Also just to check on this as they are blanked/n/a (in the Cromwell code field) did you reuse he below bolts or need to source them from elsewhere:
Front
Wishbone - Ball Joint
Upright - Calliper

Rear
Calliper - Calliper bracket

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Nuts & bolts come with the ball joint.

I was referring to all the other bolts he ordered. Would seem sensible to order new lock nuts washers etc at the same time as the bolts as cromwel can supply those also

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I was referring to all the other bolts he ordered. Would seem sensible to order new lock nuts washers etc at the same time as the bolts as cromwel can supply those also

I haven't made the order yet chap, I need to add some more bolts to my list as I ideally want to change out my panel fitting bolts too, but I probably will order nuts too yes.

Ideally need this answered off @Tomotek though
You noted above about the calliper backing/top plate, but then have it on your list (QFT6001076J), did you just not use it?
Also just to check on this as they are blanked/n/a (in the Cromwell code field) did you reuse he below bolts or need to source them from elsewhere:
Front
Wishbone - Ball Joint
Upright - Calliper

Rear

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member
Ideally need this answered off @Tomotek though
You noted above about the calliper backing/top plate, but then have it on your list (QFT6001076J), did you just not use it?
Front
Wishbone - Ball Joint
Upright - Calliper

Rear

Hi mate, sorry didn’t see your other message

I ended up not using the new bolt for the caliper top plate as the std ones locate on the shank which is a special Renault bolt

Front wishbone ball joint I fitted new ball joints and the bolts come with the kit so didn’t look for a Cromwell code

Front Upright to caliper and rear caliper bracket to caliper I ordered from somewhere else as they are a finer pitch which Cromwell don’t sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Hi mate, sorry didn’t see your other message
I ended up not using the new bolt for the caliper back plate as the std ones locate on the shank which is a special Renault bolt
Front wishbone ball joint I fitted new ball joints and the bolts come with the kit so didn’t look for a Cromwell code
Front Upright to caliper and rear caliper bracket to caliper I ordered from somewhere else as they are a finer pitch which Cromwell don’t sell

Cheers man, appreciated

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
No probs .. I got the finer pitch bolts from ‘falcon workshop supplies’ .. they have an eBay page which is useful for ordering small quantities

692fd2700d53829bc41454bfa97dbeb2.jpg

For anybody interested I have just found the finer pitch bolts on Cromwells.
I will shortly be amending my quote and ordering the bolts so can post those details up for others.

Reactions: Gus

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
For anybody interested I have just found the finer pitch bolts on Cromwells.
I will shortly be amending my quote and ordering the bolts so can post those details up for others.

Scratch the above, Cromwells wanted me to order a minimum of 20 of the finer pitch items which proper ramped up the price. But I did get them from Falcon supplies.
Just putting together an updated spreadsheet now - can post later

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I did have an issue with Cromwells sending 2 lots of the wrong bolts though, hopefully that should be rectified when this order comes through.

QFT6001083S M12x85 SKT HEAD CAP SCREW x4
I ordered the above, however I believe I have been sent QFT6001083R (marked on the bag and shown in photo IMG_7147.JPG).

QFT6001053K M10x80 SKT HEAD CAP SCREW x4
I ordered the above, and this is what is marked on the bag, however I do not believe this is what is contained in the bag.
The item should be M10 in size, however I have placed it against QFT6001051H (shown in photo IMG_7148.JPG) which is an M10x70 and you can tell it is not the right item.

IMG_7147.JPG

IMG_7148.JPG

Reactions: Gus
  dan's cast offs.
two things to bear in mind, the self colour bolts (black ones) rust so would be worth looking at bzp and a lot of the washers used aren't standard sizes, bigger diameter, thicker and stronger.

also if anyone is interested i've got a list of just about all of the bolts for the head/cam cover/stat housing etc...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
FYI
Turns out the Calliper - calliper bracket bolts are way too long. These are noted on the sheet at 100mm
But these are probably by 20mm to long. I am going to need to re-order these now.

IMG_8383.JPG

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I ended up not using the new bolt for the caliper top plate as the std ones locate on the shank which is a special Renault bolt

Hi mate, Just looking at these bolts again and can't figure out what you mean. Looking at the bolt it looks normal and I can't see why changing this out wouldn't make a difference. Can you explain further before I order something and regret it.. ha

Tomotek

ClioSport Club Member

Hi mate, Just looking at these bolts again and can't figure out what you mean. Looking at the bolt it looks normal and I can't see why changing this out wouldn't make a difference. Can you explain further before I order something and regret it.. ha

From what I remember the standard Renault bolts have a larger shank diameter, than a ISO bolt of the same thread, which is used to locate the caliper back plate correctly

Clio 182 Trophy
Are Cromwell happy enough to send small quantities of bolts if I give them a ring? On their website I can only order in bulk, 50, 100 etc.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Are Cromwell happy enough to send small quantities of bolts if I give them a ring? On their website I can only order in bulk, 50, 100 etc.

Yes they will send you small quantities providing it is a stock item for them (most are). If they aren’t a stock item then you have to order the minimum quantity stated on the website

FrogJam Motorsport

ClioSport Trader
Just about to order all new bolts for a build so the spreadsheet is very useful, thanks!

Just wondering why you haven’t gone for the zinc plated ones so they don’t rust?

Assuming the black (self colour) ones will rust?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Just about to order all new bolts for a build so the spreadsheet is very useful, thanks!
Just wondering why you haven’t gone for the zinc plated ones so they don’t rust?
Assuming the black (self colour) ones will rust?

Pretty sure these don't rust, they won't be that exposed to the elements anyways and will be getting constant checks so should that be the case I will relook at the options.

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
Black bolts absolutely rust. I'm pretty much no time at all, even kept in a dry garage ?