ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob question re exterior plastics..

Excuse me if this has been covered before but I'm looking for a good product to use on the black exterior plastics of the car to return them to as new a condition as possible. This would include the main part of the wipers. Is the old faithful Back to Black worth using?

Thanks guys

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Solution finish, good but expensive, but s little goes a long way.

I used the sonax trim gel which is cheap and good.

Gtecnic is supposed to be good too.

Depending on where you drive etc it’s only a matter of time before the grey comes back

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into the products you mentioned. Would they be suitable for the wipers too?

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Clean with inside on a damp cloth then finish with Perl or Dlux semi perm coat. Inside will also clean all your rubbers around the windows.

Land Rover
I have had extremely good results from removing plastic parts (where possible) from the car and then spraying them with satin black paint.
The finish is pretty much perfect and on my Defender the front light surrounds are still looking like new three years/36,000 miles later.
I also did the wing mirror casings (on the Land Rover) as they had faded to grey after thirteen years, and now they look new.

I have found that the various polishes and black dye products are only a temporary fix.

I have also used this method on parts like the scuttle trim and underbonnet fuse box cover on my Clio 182, again with excellent results.
I generally spray the parts in the garden on a sheet of cardboard to avoid fumes from the paint.

Just be sure to clean/degrease the parts first.

CarPro PERL [ Plastic Engine Rubber Leather] (As mentioned) is good. And i've tried many over the years. However i've had more luck interior wise than exterior; where i didn't think it lasted as well as the below and streaked fairly quickly. It's been my 'go-to' product interior wise for a while though......

The product for me for your application is Auto Finesse Revive. Blackens even really grey plastics - and will survive all life can throw at it for a few weeks. And that's about as good as it gets for these type of products and what they are subject to. I apply using the sponge side of a washing up sponge / scourer.

Unless as mentioned again; you go to the 'trouble and expense' of using Gtechniq C4. Which should be the mutts-nuts if applied correctly.

Good luck.