ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

None working nearside headlight bi-xenon

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Hi what are the common reasons for a bi xenons headlight to stop working? checked fuse

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Regardless - it's bumper off I'm afraid. There's simply no room behind either headlight unit to extract either the starter or the bulb itself.

My bulb went (drivers side) recently and I replaced both. Just ordered the below and that price is for a pair. I paid circa £29 and ended up with four bulbs :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D2S-Xeno...var=510658934845&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I'd definitely try the most 'obvious' item to replace first. With the headlight unit unbolted, the xenons are very easy to replace. The starter at the back just twists Open-Close and the bulb is held in place by two spring clips. Literally 30 seconds for each headlight. The time is spent getting the b*****d bumper back on! :p

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Regardless - it's bumper off I'm afraid. There's simply no room behind either headlight unit to extract either the starter or the bulb itself.

My bulb went (drivers side) recently and I replaced both. Just ordered the below and that price is for a pair. I paid circa £29 and ended up with four bulbs :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D2S-Xeno...var=510658934845&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I'd definitely try the most 'obvious' item to replace first. With the headlight unit unbolted, the xenons are very easy to replace. The starter at the back just twists Open-Close and the bulb is held in place by two spring clips. Literally 30 seconds for each headlight. The time is spent getting the b*****d bumper back on! :p

Not possible to drop head light out without removing bumper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep - two of the three are hidden behind the bumper. Looking at the driver's side headlight front-on (and wishing I had the drawing ability of @mace) - here's a pizza slice/headlight image showing you approximately where the bolts are.

1540454869249.png

Sounds like the ballast, try swapping them around and see if the issue moves side. If not try the same with the igniters. Bumper off is a 5 minute job and very easy to remove and put back.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like the ballast, try swapping them around and see if the issue moves side. If not try the same with the igniters. Bumper off is a 5 minute job and very easy to remove and put back.

Do NOT believe this man! :D

In all seriousness, it is easier once the front of the car is in the air. With a splitter fitted, it's quite fiddly when on the ground and I CBA'd to jack it up when I did it.

The headlight unit is a fully integrated unit. Once you have it unbolted from your car, everything is attached to the back of it that you would need access to. The ballast unit is screwed onto the bottom of the headlight and the starter as mentioned before, is on a twist & click mechanism at the back of the bulb.

Do NOT believe this man! :D

In all seriousness, it is easier once the front of the car is in the air. With a splitter fitted, it's quite fiddly when on the ground and I CBA'd to jack it up when I did it.

The headlight unit is a fully integrated unit. Once you have it unbolted from your car, everything is attached to the back of it that you would need access to. The ballast unit is screwed onto the bottom of the headlight and the starter as mentioned before, is on a twist & click mechanism at the back of the bulb.
Haha mine was quick release by the end it had been on and off that many times (all clips, brackets and bolts snapped), wasn't held on by anything and was still held in place securely. I could literally pull it off and put it back on within 30 seconds, lol.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Cheers guys , away this weekend so will be a week before I can look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you go for the 6000k bulbs on that eBay link above - they look like the below. A very (very) slight blue - just more white than anything. Not the best pic, but it gives you some idea.

1540536775469.png