ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Niall's BG 182

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Thought it was about time to start a project thread for my car.

Bought it back in late November looking like this:
32316802443_ca2777030c_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

33132410195_96eb3998c0_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

32975645092_bd18c8c655_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

33090573036_3c5e3f67fe_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Not ideal, but the important bits were all good. Belts done by Engine Dynamics, box is fine etc.

Cosmetically it wasn't the prettiest, a number of age related dings and marks, but most of these are easily sorted out with some TLC and relatively little money.

Spec/mods as bought was:
  • Powerflow custom exhaust (decat, non-res)
  • Eibach Sportlines
  • Remap
  • Team Heko wind deflectors (Not sure on these yet)
  • LED rear numberplate light
  • Metal footrest
  • Spare wheel added

Got it home, and set about ordering some of the basic CS bits to tidy it up:
  • KTEC Induction kit
  • Custom 3/4 plate and plain rear plate
  • Phillips Silvervisions
  • Bosch Aero front wiper blades
  • Bosch rear wiper
  • Dash strips/wheel trim and gear knob insert back to original plain silver 182 ones from the 172 ph2 ones it had
  • Debobbled the seat/doorcard alcantara
  • Removed the awful 'Renaultsport Clio' etched vinyl stickers in the rear windows
  • Added a CS Sticker

Before:
32317971643_cbea225fb8_c.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

32288079394_78366eb171_c.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

After:
32317970803_bde9b23b3f_c.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

32317970083_173ef8c2f7_c.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

After this, with the help of @JamesBryan, we did:
  • Powerflexed the dog bone
  • Larger throttle pedal (70mm wide, standard one is 50mm wide)
  • New Bosch pre-cat lambda sensor
  • O/S rear caliper sliders copper greased
  • Restored the headlights with an Autoglym Headlight Restoration kit

Headlights before:
33091833356_568c26450d_c.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Headlights after:
32976888652_29eaa0f716_c.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Other than these, I've added/mended/replaced:
  • 3 injectors replaced (after a mis-fire)
  • Alternator (and aux belt kit) replaced
  • Alternator splash guard added
  • N/S rear light connector block replaced
  • New rear numberplate light (kept the LED bulb and put in this)
  • Battery clamp added (with help of @JamesBryan)
  • Boot net added
  • Top engine mount replaced with good second hand one (with help of @Brett)
  • Front engine bay seal replaced with good second hand one
  • Seat belts cleaned
  • Manifold to decat genuine exhaust fitting kit added (again, with the help of @JamesBryan)
  • Rear wiper motor replaced with second hand one (with the help of @JamesBryan)
  • Rear wiper arm replaced (third party one, genuine Renault one will be being bought)
  • Alternator live wire ring connector replaced
  • 2 new front Yokohama S-Drives

Currently looks like this:
33113032415_610e6d08ce_c.jpg
BG Clio 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

32986182231_16019b642c_c.jpg
BG Clio 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Plans for the future are:
  • Bilstein B14 coilovers
  • Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2, gloss black
  • Yokohama AD08R's
  • Whiteline ARB
  • Matched Inlets
  • Miltek exhaust, decat non-res
  • Remap at EFi
  • Renaultsport Sparco steering wheel
  • Powerflex the usual front end components
  • Powerflex top engine mount
  • Replace bonnet (Laquer peel on this, picked up a good second hand one from @cs_dave)
  • Replace O/S front wing (Picked one up already from Ebay)
  • Replace both doors (both are fairly beaten up)
  • Renaultsport mats
  • Genuine Renault rear wiper arm
  • Bootlid dent repaired

Just got the hefty insurance price to pay in March, then I can get on with all of this!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see a thread up and to see you actually in a sport. Crazy to think how long you've been around them even prior to being able to drive.

Bet it must feel good to finally be behind the wheel of one.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Nice to see a thread up and to see you actually in a sport. Crazy to think how long you've been around them even prior to being able to drive.

Bet it must feel good to finally be behind the wheel of one.
You're not wrong! Joined the forum when I was 13, so it's definitely a relief to finally have one.

Fortunately had some time driving Brett's 172 on track before I owned this, did my first track day 3 months after passing my test, followed by another 2 in it, so I already got a taste of it.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Small update. Few small things to make it how it should have been in the first place.

As I mention below the recent updates are:
  • Replaced starter motor with used Bosch starter
And with the help of @JamesBryan:
  • Replaced O/S front wing with used one
  • Replaced bonnet with used one
  • Replaced gearstick (to replace gear knob)

A week or so ago I went out to the car, went to start it and...nothing. Just click. I'd been having issues with the exiter wire coming off the starter motor, that I had fixed by removing the washer from behind the spade connector so it couldn't rotate due to vibration, so I checked this first and it was still firmly on - hmm!

I then started wiggling things and found this.

Oh dear. I would like to thank the previous owner for being a complete moron, and for his not only cheap but incorrectly installed starter motor (I've had to move the wiring around previously to this, and the lack of a heat shield). Anyway a Bosch Starter from my brother's breaker 172 was put on and correctly this time too, so it's all good. Heat shield was also put on this time which I was going to have to put on anyway and so I was considering putting the Bosch one on anyway just for peace of mind. I only use Bosch/renowned third party or OEM for stuff I do to the car so this sits easier with me now.

Then came some better weather, so I could finally get rid of my knackered wing and bonnet that had been bugging me for a while.

As you can see in this pic, there is some bad paint peel around the circumference of the arch, weird, no idea how that happened, but was on the car when I bought it.
33304319560_d86c899307_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

So we set about removing the wing, and that means the side skirt, headlight, detaching the bumper and arch liner.
33647535306_7a62899b0d_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

I'd had the new wing for months, bought from eBay waiting to go on. Here's the old wing and new wing side by side, you can see how bad the paint peel was on the old one.
32875018423_42862af5d4_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

New wing on, looking a lot better!
33532011522_c492a00bc7_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Then onwards to the bonnet. As you might be able to see in the below pic, near the bottom left (O/S) next to the indicator, the bonnet had a circle of bad lacquer and paint peel. Again, no idea how it happened and was on the car when I bought it.
33647538496_6da78851a0_c.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Old bonnet off, was loving the exposed engine mad max look, so aggressive, so I had to take some pics.
33647529946_435549b0c9_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr
33532009882_0240979205_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

New bonnet sourced from @cs_dave, again had this lying around for months, much better now.
32845468474_3f4545f634_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

The new bonnet had some age and probably storage related scratching/marks, so we headed back to @JamesBryan's to give it a quick going over with the dual action polisher to get it looking mint. Looking great now with no missing paint, finally!
33688302585_e3eff9abff_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Final job was to get rid of my aftermarket gear knob, it's been bugging me for a while as per the other stuff, it looks OEM from a distance, but it's one of the cheap third party ones that are made of a rubbery material and just don't look or feel as nice as the original leather one, so it had to go.

Got under the car; heat shield off, linkage disconnected, 4 nuts off, and dropped it through the bottom of the car with some manoeuvring past the exhaust.

Also, LOL, short shifter?
33532007012_630013bfd6_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Weird seeing the floor and your exhaust from the inside of the car.
33532005572_1ff9faee05_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Reversed the process, and the new gearstick is in, nice to have it as it should be.
33647526026_4b5363bc2a_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

So there we go. Hopefully some more exiting stuff coming over the coming months, can't wait!

Last edited:

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Great work mate.
Do you happen to be selling that clear side repeater? Mine fell off the other day so i've had to steal one off my old 1.2, but need one to refit ideally.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Great work mate.
Do you happen to be selling that clear side repeater? Mine fell off the other day so i've had to steal one off my old 1.2, but need one to refit ideally.
Yeah can do mate! Can have it for just postage if you like?

Weird how it fell off, they're clipped in, suppose your clips on it must have been broken?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah can do mate! Can have it for just postage if you like?

Weird how it fell off, they're clipped in, suppose your clips on it must have been broken?
Sweet mate, i'll pm you, cheers!
Yeah, it still had the back housing bit with the actual LED but the clear casing had dropped off. Broken clips for sure probably a hamfisted OP.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Glad to see this coming along. It's so weird to see standard pictures from you lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, just in a stage of sorting out the list of niggles so it's all good then more exiting stuff can be done.

Haha yeah, tbh I often forget to take pics of what I'm doing at all, not used to this project thread malarky!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
So, another very generic update as has been seen a million times here before, however I'll post anyway for the sake of having a diary of the work on the car.

Updates are as follows:
  • New Renault N/S front wheel bearing
  • Replaced N/S lower ball joint
  • Replaced rear wiper motor
  • Cleaned throttle body
  • Replaced upper gearbox mount

After the last update I put up on here I discovered while the car was jacked up that my front left wheel bearing was knackered, wheel was moving top to bottom with a clunk sound. We checked the hub nut and torqued to 280nm as per spec, still happened, so new wheel bearing it was.

Amusingly, for those who follow Car Throttle/Car Memes on Facebook, when we unclipped the arch liner a wild 10mm socket appeared:tearsofjoy:
33781699372_4f2f99fd2f_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Anyway, myself and @JamesBryan took the car apart and got the hub off with much WD40 and ugga dagga's of the impact gun.
33808904131_b719ac1e67_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Upon taking it apart, we discovered that the lower ball joint had seen some better days having some lateral movement with a little clunk as per the wheel, so to be thorough we went and grabbed a good one from my breaker ph1 172 and put that on and put everything back together quickly just to be sure it wasn't the ball joint.
33781698812_22b9d89938_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

The problem persisted, so it was definitely the wheel bearing.

We then popped over to @Jonff's to press the old bearing out and the new one in. All was going smoothly until after we had pressed the new bearing in, and it was both very stiff and had an even more severe clunk than before. Hmmm, not good, or at least we thought so. We went back and put the hub back on the car, and as you can see below this was the amount of movement we had.
33808912831_607621b85b_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

At this point I was getting ready to call the AA to recover me from James's house as it would have been totally undrivable/unsafe to drive on with so much movement, then James buzzed the hub nut on tight and hey presto - solid as a rock! We then torqued it to 280nm, put everything back together, wheel back on and it was totally solid. Lowered the car back onto the ground and took it for a drive, all totally fine. Weird right?!

Since we've concluded from speaking to @bloke (big thanks for letting me bring it down down and having you check it out mate!) that we hadn't properly supported the inner race of the bearing when pressing it in, we used the old bearing underneath to support it but it would seem that it has enough give in it to not properly support the new bearing inner race that we were pressing in, and so when we got the hub nut on tight and drive shaft in everything was pulled back into alignment and was how it should be. The stiffness was just being a new bearing. Live and learn though eh!

Also this week, my new rear wiper motor came, as some may have seen I had some issues with the one from my breaker ph1 in that they are actually different between ph1 and ph2, must be either a different part or a different signal perhaps? Anyhow I put this on and now it's working perfectly, which is such a relief after the old one was scratching my boot lid and not wiping the whole window.

Before:
33038645235_a322aef023_z.jpg
IMG_3744
by Niall97, on Flickr

After:
33095675984_dbfcd092a3_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

I also gave my throttle body a quick clean, I'd heard this done before but never thought to do it. A bit of of crap that had been built up in there, so it was all cleaned up and put back on, forgot to get pics though, but you've all seen this a million times before.

Finally, this weekend (after picking James's rebuilt gearbox from @NorthloopCup) we set about changing the upper gearbox mount for the nearly new one from my breaker ph1. I'd had an awful clunk/bang when changing from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th when driving spiritedly shall we say, so it was clear a mount was at fault, we'd already powerflex'd the dogbone and replaced the upper engine mount with the good one from my breaker ph1 so this was the last one on the list. This is what the old one looked like when we pulled it out - not great!
33936602435_7522f4a149_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr
33895450756_3d555d2018_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

The rubber had totally given way inside and felt just like solid metal, hence the bang when changing gear. New one on and torqued to 12nm for the smaller nuts and 62nm for the big nut.
33551475880_e6a8f0fd19_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Drove it afterwards and it feels a lot better, feels exactly as it should, no more horrible metal on metal clunk when you're giving it some poke. Very glad to have this sorted as it'd been irritating me for ages, especially having driven other cars that were fine, so this should futureproof it for quite a while now.

Lastly, we were going to attempt to lower my seats by removing the plastic spacers after being inspired by @Louis' thread, however this happened to the inside thread. F*cks sake.
33779003312_7108e8f738_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

So this week the hunt begins for either a new slider or whole new seat.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
So, another very generic update as has been seen a million times here before, however I'll post anyway for the sake of having a diary of the work on the car.

Updates are as follows:
  • New Renault N/S front wheel bearing
  • Replaced N/S lower ball joint
  • Replaced rear wiper motor
  • Cleaned throttle body
  • Replaced upper gearbox mount

After the last update I put up on here I discovered while the car was jacked up that my front left wheel bearing was knackered, wheel was moving top to bottom with a clunk sound. We checked the hub nut and torqued to 280nm as per spec, still happened, so new wheel bearing it was.

Amusingly, for those who follow Car Throttle/Car Memes on Facebook, when we unclipped the arch liner a wild 10mm socket appeared:tearsofjoy:
33781699372_4f2f99fd2f_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Anyway, myself and @JamesBryan took the car apart and got the hub off with much WD40 and ugga dagga's of the impact gun.
33808904131_b719ac1e67_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Upon taking it apart, we discovered that the lower ball joint had seen some better days having some lateral movement with a little clunk as per the wheel, so to be thorough we went and grabbed a good one from my breaker ph1 172 and put that on and put everything back together quickly just to be sure it wasn't the ball joint.
33781698812_22b9d89938_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

The problem persisted, so it was definitely the wheel bearing.

We then popped over to @Jonff's to press the old bearing out and the new one in. All was going smoothly until after we had pressed the new bearing in, and it was both very stiff and had an even more severe clunk than before. Hmmm, not good, or at least we thought so. We went back and put the hub back on the car, and as you can see below this was the amount of movement we had.
33808912831_607621b85b_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

At this point I was getting ready to call the AA to recover me from James's house as it would have been totally undrivable/unsafe to drive on with so much movement, then James buzzed the hub nut on tight and hey presto - solid as a rock! We then torqued it to 280nm, put everything back together, wheel back on and it was totally solid. Lowered the car back onto the ground and took it for a drive, all totally fine. Weird right?!

Since we've concluded from speaking to @bloke (big thanks for letting me bring it down down and having you check it out mate!) that we hadn't properly supported the inner race of the bearing when pressing it in, we used the old bearing underneath to support it but it would seem that it has enough give in it to not properly support the new bearing inner race that we were pressing in, and so when we got the hub nut on tight and drive shaft in everything was pulled back into alignment and was how it should be. The stiffness was just being a new bearing. Live and learn though eh!

Also this week, my new rear wiper motor came, as some may have seen I had some issues with the one from my breaker ph1 in that they are actually different between ph1 and ph2, must be either a different part or a different signal perhaps? Anyhow I put this on and now it's working perfectly, which is such a relief after the old one was scratching my boot lid and not wiping the whole window.

Before:
33038645235_a322aef023_z.jpg
IMG_3744
by Niall97, on Flickr

After:
33095675984_dbfcd092a3_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

I also gave my throttle body a quick clean, I'd heard this done before but never thought to do it. A bit of of crap that had been built up in there, so it was all cleaned up and put back on, forgot to get pics though, but you've all seen this a million times before.

Finally, this weekend (after picking James's rebuilt gearbox from @NorthloopCup) we set about changing the upper gearbox mount for the nearly new one from my breaker ph1. I'd had an awful clunk/bang when changing from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th when driving spiritedly shall we say, so it was clear a mount was at fault, we'd already powerflex'd the dogbone and replaced the upper engine mount with the good one from my breaker ph1 so this was the last one on the list. This is what the old one looked like when we pulled it out - not great!
33936602435_7522f4a149_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr
33895450756_3d555d2018_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

The rubber had totally given way inside and felt just like solid metal, hence the bang when changing gear. New one on and torqued to 12nm for the smaller nuts and 62nm for the big nut.
33551475880_e6a8f0fd19_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

Drove it afterwards and it feels a lot better, feels exactly as it should, no more horrible metal on metal clunk when you're giving it some poke. Very glad to have this sorted as it'd been irritating me for ages, especially having driven other cars that were fine, so this should futureproof it for quite a while now.

Lastly, we were going to attempt to lower my seats by removing the plastic spacers after being inspired by @Louis' thread, however this happened to the inside thread. F*cks sake.
33779003312_7108e8f738_z.jpg
BG 182
by Niall97, on Flickr

So this week the hunt begins for either a new slider or whole new seat.
I saw you posting about your issues with that bearing on facebook mate, glad you got it all sorted! I also received that clear repeater mate forgot to say sorry! Cheers for that really appreciate it.

f**king bummer on that bolt snapping! You must have been going at it with a breaker a fair bit haha. Looks to be the one that's near to the exhaust though? Mine were rusted to buggery too, applied plenty of copper slip on refitting. Seems stupid how exposed those ones are, as the others are under those bungs and in great condition. Could you not completely grind that old broken stud off, drill through the slider and then nut and bolt it? Or weld like a captive nut? Sliders aren't expensive though to be fair.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I saw you posting about your issues with that bearing on facebook mate, glad you got it all sorted! I also received that clear repeater mate forgot to say sorry! Cheers for that really appreciate it.

f**king bummer on that bolt snapping! You must have been going at it with a breaker a fair bit haha. Looks to be the one that's near to the exhaust though? Mine were rusted to buggery too, applied plenty of copper slip on refitting. Seems stupid how exposed those ones are, as the others are under those bungs and in great condition. Could you not completely grind that old broken stud off, drill through the slider and then nut and bolt it? Or weld like a captive nut? Sliders aren't expensive though to be fair.
Yeah was just our simple mistake really, no harm done, all good now. And yeah no worries bud!

Yeah we did buzz it with the gun but it would have snapped anyway it was so corroded, the ones under the bungs came straight off no issues. As you say a new slider is so cheap it doesn't really matter, just inconvenient. Seat is relatively solid for the time being.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
There's always something with this car. Everything is going well, then bang! Something doesn't play ball.

It was 21Nm for those smaller nuts mate, not 12Nm.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
There's always something with this car. Everything is going well, then bang! Something doesn't play ball.

It was 21Nm for those smaller nuts mate, not 12Nm.
Things that shouldn't have gone smoothly have gone smoothly and jobs that should be easy have been a ball ache haha!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Things that shouldn't have gone smoothly have gone smoothly and jobs that should be easy have been a ball ache haha!

That upper gearbox mount just lifted off, i've never had that happen. Usually require a tap with a hammer.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Potentially was why it wasn't right though in all fairness, might not have been tight enough?

Yeah i doubt the old one was tight enough/torqued really. Goes to show how much torque you can apply when using a torque wrench compared to using the 1/2" ratchet. Did it up with the ratchet and it felt tight, put the torque wrench on and got a few turns on it.