ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie member

Clio MK3 RS
Hi all

New to the forum. Currently looking to purchase a clio197 as a second car and something to have some fun in.

I’d welcome any buying advise.

Clio MK3 RS
Thanks for the warm welcome chaps. I do like the 182, but I’ve driven a couple of 197’s and loved them so now it’s time to get one for myself. Plus the boot is a bit bigger so I can get the all important buggy in the boot so it keeps the Mrs’ happy ?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome.

As a paid up member you'll get access to a big list of what to look for somewhere that @Knuckles wrote.

It gave the differences between the various 197 models and those vs a 200.

After owning a 197 myself I'd say get a later one with the same gearbox ratios as the 200, little better on MPG and not quite as poor build quality. R27 command a premium but you get a better steering rack too (although I didn't notice in mine).

If it's a fun car then Recaro's are a must, that said I found mine really supportive for daily driving too, don't get one with a CD changer because believe me, it's a NIGHTMARE to swap out for something half decent as all the wiring is under the drivers seat (in my old thread there's info on how to do it, it's just fiddly and took a long time to figure out).

Mk3's suffer with a bad flat spot which is made worse when given an aftermarket exhaust, a remap sorts that out but don't be expecting power gains.

Same script as the 182's for belt changes etc although it's a bit easier and the mk3 isn't as sensitive to timing as the mk2 so it's not so bad. Common faults are the hub bearings and the synchro between 2 and 3 going (i think it's those gears). Rear brakes also stick especially in the winter when left standing.

Also they drive like a dog when cold, the boxes are horrendous until warmed up a little.

Here's my old one anyway

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/welshnames-deep-black-197.788699/

Clio MK3 RS
Welcome.

As a paid up member you'll get access to a big list of what to look for somewhere that @Knuckles wrote.

It gave the differences between the various 197 models and those vs a 200.

After owning a 197 myself I'd say get a later one with the same gearbox ratios as the 200, little better on MPG and not quite as poor build quality. R27 command a premium but you get a better steering rack too (although I didn't notice in mine).

If it's a fun car then Recaro's are a must, that said I found mine really supportive for daily driving too, don't get one with a CD changer because believe me, it's a NIGHTMARE to swap out for something half decent as all the wiring is under the drivers seat (in my old thread there's info on how to do it, it's just fiddly and took a long time to figure out).

Mk3's suffer with a bad flat spot which is made worse when given an aftermarket exhaust, a remap sorts that out but don't be expecting power gains.

Same script as the 182's for belt changes etc although it's a bit easier and the mk3 isn't as sensitive to timing as the mk2 so it's not so bad. Common faults are the hub bearings and the synchro between 2 and 3 going (i think it's those gears). Rear brakes also stick especially in the winter when left standing.

Also they drive like a dog when cold, the boxes are horrendous until warmed up a little.

Here's my old one anyway

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/welshnames-deep-black-197.788699/
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. When you say get a later model, from what year onwards?? 2007/08?